Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
Hmmmm--Lots of pictures. So are you trying to correct an ear tip that is tipping in or out or what?

If that's what you are doing it's OK I guess--but with a long crop be careful and watch to make sure that the (support--is it a breathe-rite strip?) that the weight of the strip doesn't cause the ear tip to start to bend.

It looks like a very nice crop and her ears are standing well so be very careful that a correction like that doesn't become worse than just posting the entire ear.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
The ears are bending behind the strips, so you aren't getting enough support. You're going to get a curve in the ear. Personally, it's a reason I don't use those. I would go back to a full post (or use half posts) if you want nice straight ears.

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
Lots of great advice above ! But what I’m seeing is a pretty show crop , just like my girls , I had a GREAT mentor ( BUG ) I had the same kind of deal with hers , I would send Bug pictures then call and go over what she was seeing and what I saw in person

We had discussed using a full post or trying a half post , I had did them before on a shorter crop , but not on the show . After looking at her ears closer , sending Bug more pictures we both thought that the half could break down the ear lower , closer to the base .

I went with the full post and glad I did , just what I did and had success

Good luck and btw , nice looking pup !

·
Big Lil pup
8,778 Posts
Hi Alida. Nice to see a current pic of Gemma. (Is that right?) Really nice crop. Great advice ^^^^

To really comment, It would help to see the ears w/o the tips being supported with strips to really understand what the exact correction (if any) is that you attempting.

That aside.... In general , any ear improvement, correction or strengthening, other than a minor firming up and/or strengthening of the very tips of the ears, would have my pup in full posts. But, then, I don't mind posting. And at this point in the pup's life, they don't know any different. In fact, for a while it probably feels weird to be walking around without posts! LOL

John L
Portland

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally some input…THANK YOU! all I keep hearing on an ear posting group is how great she looks and how great her crop is.. which I know 😉

on her left ear there has been this warble all along…and it’s bugged me to no end but no one ever says a thing about it when I ask. For some reason this posting we have a sore ..hence the strips.

I’ve been considering the zip tie method..idk

thanks for the input..I know we are not even close to being done as she’s about 3/4 firm..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm--Lots of pictures. So are you trying to correct an ear tip that is tipping in or out or what?

If that's what you are doing it's OK I guess--but with a long crop be careful and watch to make sure that the (support--is it a breathe-rite strip?) that the weight of the strip doesn't cause the ear tip to start to bend.

It looks like a very nice crop and her ears are standing well so be very careful that a correction like that doesn't become worse than just posting the entire ear.

dobebug
I’m sorry about the amount of photos ( I did cull some..just now). I was trying to see if anyone saw what I saw. Here is a picture without the strips
Dog Dog breed Collar Working animal Carnivore

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
Finally some input…THANK YOU! all I keep hearing on an ear posting group is how great she looks and how great her crop is.. which I know 😉

on her left ear there has been this warble all along…and it’s bugged me to no end but no one ever says a thing about it when I ask. For some reason this posting we have a sore ..hence the strips.

I’ve been considering the zip tie method..idk

thanks for the input..I know we are not even close to being done as she’s about 3/4 firm..
Um--what's a "warble" and are you seeing a difference between the left and right ear AND--are you saying her "left" ear or the left side as you are looking at her (it would her right ear if that's what you are describing and people do both)--I think there is a little difference in the basic shaping of the crop from left to right (that's often the case in any crop) but if that's it I think it's very minor. But if you are trying to get the full length of the ear to be straight--you won't get that with breathe-rite strips--that basically will take a full or half post. And some more posting.

Pretty girl and it is a very nice crop.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
8,778 Posts
I think I see a very slight bend (actually a curve) her right ear (Stage right). If that's what you are referring to, and I was concerned enough to correct it, that would be a full post thing for me.

I think it is supposed to read wobble?

I read "warble" and immediately thought of bot flies, which I don't think was what she meant. LOL
Gee Mel. I read "warble" and immediately thought of songbirds.

Mmmm.... I guess it all depends on on'e life experiences. You read warble and your mind goes to invasive parasitic bug that leaves a nasty wound. I read the same word and my mind goes to a.... Well... you get the idea.

JL

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,124 Posts

Mmmm.... I guess it all depends on on'e life experiences. You read warble and your mind goes to invasive parasitic bug that leaves a nasty wound. I read the same word and my mind goes to a.... Well... you get the idea.

JL
My horse used to get bot fly eggs on his legs--little yellow things a bit smaller and narrower than a grain of rice. I had to scrape them off with a knife. The buzz of a bot fly hovering around is really irritating to a horse--it's a sure way to have your horse freak out on you.

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
It’s her left. It’s like a wave and it’s been there since the beginning.

yes, I see the slight difference in the ear tip as well from the cropping, also since the beginning.

these are things that bug me, which like I said no else seems to see it. View attachment 151423
Well, I did see it but since it looked to me like it's a part of exactly how that ear is cropped--and yes, there is a slight difference between it and the right ear--I didn't even mention it because I bet most people wouldn't even notice it.

And thanks for the id on which ear it was--you wouldn't believe how many people don't take a dogs left and right as specific to the dog and the id left and right ears as they would the left and right side of a couch.

VBG

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
I think I see a very slight bend (actually a curve) her right ear (Stage right). If that's what you are referring to, and I was concerned enough to correct it, that would be a full post thing for me.

JL
And I thought of neither although I certainly know about bot's--and scraping the eggs off horses legs. Yes and having a horse step on me and whack me with their head because there was a fly around trying to replace the danged eggs I was scraping off.

Geeze, John--songbirds? I have no songbirds around here-it's a desert--we have crows (lots) hummingbirds and one lone California Jay family. Oh and some little brown things that occasionally try to make nests in the fuschia hanging baskets (several kinds which I tend to lump into a generic "sparrow" category but that's because I have no skills when it comes to identifying birds.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
My horse used to get bot fly eggs on his legs--little yellow things a bit smaller and narrower than a grain of rice. I had to scrape them off with a knife. The buzz of a bot fly hovering around is really irritating to a horse--it's a sure way to have your horse freak out on you.
Yes, your description definitely brought back memories.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
8,778 Posts
Geeze, John--songbirds? I have no songbirds around here-it's a desert--we have crows (lots) hummingbirds and one lone California Jay family. Oh and some little brown things that occasionally try to make nests in the fuschia hanging baskets (several kinds which I tend to lump into a generic "sparrow" category but that's because I have no skills when it comes to identifying birds.

dobebug
Our Montana cabin sits smack in the middle of the migratory path of countless songbirds. Lots of mostly permanent residents also. Many varieties of chickadees, nuthatches etc. There is even songbird called the "yellow rumped warbler", if you can believe it.

You would actually be amazed at the variety of birds here in the Portland area. We have a friend who is a birder. One day she was laundry listing the birds native to the area.

JL

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 8 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,958 Posts
Factoid for the day:

All male warblers have at least some yellow on them somewhere (OK, it's an over generalization--but most do, anyway)
Mel, should you warn yourself to get back on topic? (Mods are exempt?)

(Hope I don't get the ⚡⚡⚡ for questioning that.....)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts