Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is almost 15 weeks and he got a shorter medium crop. When his ears healed fully maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago they were standing perfectly so I didn't post. Mostly because his entire cropping experience was so uncomfortable and traumatic for him I didn't want to bother him with posts. Now his ears are bending basically in half and I'm wondering if it's to late to post. Thanks for any advice.

·
Got mutt?
13,764 Posts
You've already done the crop, so you might as well follow through. Most pups don't seem to mind the posting process once they get used to it.

Besides, it's kind of sad to see a cropped dog who didn't receive proper aftercare, and has wonky ears.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
How old is he? What do you mean by traumatic? Does he have an infection?

They are flopping bc you didn't post. It could be a month or so or it could be a year. Just depends.

·
Big Lil pup
6,301 Posts
Post... That is if you want them to stand. Otherwise.... Heck, a crop and flop can be pretty cute. Just don't sweat it.Your Kylo could not care less.

That being said, I would definitely start posting your pup's ears. IMO, it opens a window of opportunity to bond with your little guy.

JMO

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How old is he? What do you mean by traumatic? Does he have an infection?

They are flopping bc you didn't post. It could be a month or so or it could be a year. Just depends.
He cried so much after getting them cropped and wouldn't let me near his ears to clean them and ended with an infection. They've healed perfect now. I took him to the vet for a thorough cleaning and the infection was gone right away.
I think I managed to figure out how to attach pictures to a thread. I picked ones from about 1 week and a 1/2 ago. They were very straight up all the time. They just very recently started flopping. But I started posting them yesterday and since they're not very long I'm sure they'll stand quickly. Thanks for the advice

image.jpg

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Please don't give it up now after coming so far. It will not take long at all to get those ears to stand if you are consistent. I would call that a short or medium crop. Just stay with it and you will be so glad in the end.

·
Big Lil pup
6,301 Posts
That's a short "old guard" crop. You should have no trouble getting his ears to stand well.

With regard to posting. Make it a good time for you and Kylo. Have all your stuff ready, take breaks if you want. Lots of treats and praise. Personally I love posting. It eventually results in some kind of a special time between the owner and the pup. I truly believe that the reason my boys have always tolerated being handled... say for shots, nail clipping, anal sac expressing and such is because of a positive ear posting experience as a pup.

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been posting his ears now following a link I was recommended from the site. but I'm having an issue with one of the posts popping out of his ear constantly. He also shakes his head so much that I don't think it's going to stay in. I'm using backer rod. Now I just need suggestions on how to deal with a puppy who's constantly head shaking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mabel shakes her head for a solid 15 minutes right after we put posts in and then off and on over the next couple of days. She never completely stops shaking, because the she has itches she can't get to, but it does get a lot less frequent once she is able to relax. If the base is popping out, the most likely thing happening is that the posts are not deep enough in the ears. My girl was able to shake her posts completely out a few times when we were using some crappy tape that wasn't sticky enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts