Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone - my first post here on DT. On my first dobie too and oh my goodness do I love this little bundle of joy! We aren't going to show him but we may breed. Such a good dog! Anyway we are having some real concerns about the ears though so I though I'd reach out to you all.

I recently had a local vet (only one in the area who would actually do ear cropping period) crop my dobie's ears and. He was about 12 weeks old when they were done. He was taped and posted for a couple of weeks before he had scratched some tape off of the bottom wrap near the ear canal. Part of the services were that they vet would redo the tape and posts as needed so my wife brought him in. The vet took the tape and posts out and his ears were standing up just fine so the vet said he was ok not to be taped and posted any more. My wife questioned this as we had read that the ears should be posted for awhile longer. The vet insisted that he was ok without it now. When we brought him home he was holding his ears well but instead of them being floppy at all he is pulling them all the way over to the top of his head! Today my wife took him into the vet to get his stitches out and they seem to be flopped on top of his head even more than before! :confused:

The vet said he would grow out of this once his ears heal and his head gets bigger but at this point I am dubious. Please give me some advice here as my wife and I simply don't know what to do.

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
If the ears are lying over the top of his head, he has what are called pockets. Sounds like the vet doesn't really know what they are doing. Read this thread http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html and post them yourself. Don't post until the edges of the ears are completely healed, though, otherwise you will can cause an infection. Most dogs need to be posted until they are done teething, which is around 7 to 9 months. Some need to be posted longer.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
was that in the post and i missed it?

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
Ah... I missed that first paragraph somehow.

If you got your pup from a breeder who didn't bother to take the pup to a good cropper, you probably didn't get him from a breeder who breeds show dogs. Anyway, dogs selected for breeding should be titled in either the show ring or working sports, and pass all their health clearances (hips, vWD, thyroid, cardio, etc.).

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
was that in the post and i missed it?
I didn't see where he wasn't registered. I seriously doubt he's from a show breeder, though.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I didn't see where he wasn't registered. I seriously doubt he's from a show breeder, though.
i agree, but i'm not going to assume he isn't registered. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
He is AKC papered so we are good there. :)
All that really means that his parents were registered. There is more to good breeding than registering your dogs. Each breed has inherited health problems, and all breeding stock should be tested for them. Dobes, for example, have a VERY serious heart condition called Dilated Cardiomyopathy. An estimated 50 percent of Dobes will develop DCM, and in is a killer.

There is also von Willebrands Disease, which is a bleeding disorder. If your breeder can't tell you pup's vWD status, you need to do the genetic test to find out if they have it.

I suggest you visit the DPCA website, and read up on the health issues in the breed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His papa:

AKC No.: WS38583002
Name: Leo Betelges
Sex: Male
Breed: Doberman Pinscher
Variety:
Color: Black & Rust

Markings:
Birth Date: 03/27/2011
Sire: Obi-Wan Kenobi De Grande Vinko - UR00743001
Dam: Galilea Betelges - 527117

Leo's Parents:

Pedigree Of Leo Betelges 3rd place at the IDC
Parents Grandparents Great Grandparents Great Great Grandparents
International Champion OBI WAN-KENOBI DE GRANDE VINKO Youth IDC Winner IPO1 ZTP HD-A Leo vom Märkischen Land IPO 3, VPG 3, ZTP V1B INT CH Nitro Del rio Bianco ZTP 1A Exc. IPO-1 INT CH Nilo del rio Bianco
CH Farah del Rio Bianco
Black
ISA v. MÄRKISCHEN LAND IPO 3 ZTP INT CH Jivago v.h. Wantij
DOLLY v. Markischen
Champion Gekata de Vinko iz Doliny Dalmenov IPO-1, ZTP V1A, Multi Champion INT CH Pluto de Grande Vinko IPO-1 INT CH Baron Nike Renewal
CH Grafina Shanel-San de Grande Vinko
CH Aida de Grande Vinko IPO-1 CH Tigr iz Slavnoi Stai
CH Ak-Yar Andromeda
International Champion Galilea Betelges ZTP V 1A, IPO I, HD - B, vWD - clear, INTERNATIONAL CHAMPION Champion Fedor del Nasi IDC SIGER ZTP V1B (P.Pezzano), IPO 1 HD-A, PHTVL/PHPV - Free INT CH Baron Nike Renewal SCH1 V1 IDC'97 IDC Sieger 98 V1 Eurosieger '98 V1 European Dog Show '98 5x best Progeny Group 18x CAC 15x BOB 7xCACIB INT CH Prinz v. Norden Stamm
Black
INT CH Borana Sawages
Black
Akuna Matata de Grande Vinko Sch 1 ZTP CH Tigr iz Slavnoi Stai
CH Ak-Yar Andromeda
International Champion Virginia Betelges SchH I Multiple Champion and international champion INT CH Gino Gomez del Citone Welt Sieger DV Sieger IDC Sieger, SchH III FH - ZTP 1A Angekort 1A vWD Clear PHTVL/PHPV Free
Black Astor del Citone
INT CH Arielle d'Amour Del Citone
INT CH Vanja Sawages 14 x CAC 2 x CACIB 4 x R.CACIB, 11 x BOB 4 x BOG 2 x res BIS V4 IDC '96 FRANCE Yugoslav DV-Siegerin '96, Schutzhund 1 HD-Free INT CH Graf Guido v. Franckenhorst
INT CH Heidy Royal Bell

Name: Kira
Sex: Female
Breed: Doberman Pinscher
Variety:
Color: Black & Rust

and his mama is from these parents:

Champion Uragan- Best of Island IPO-1 ZTP 1A
Red International Champion Eko Royal Bell Multi Jugend Sieger, CAC, CACIB, BOB, Work results: ZTP V1A, VPG I
Black INT CH Nitro Del rio Bianco ZTP 1A Exc. IPO-1 INT CH Nilo del rio Bianco
Farah del Rio Bianco
Black
INT CH Zara Royal Bell HD: A-1 IPO-1 Vice DVJSieger KI Sieger, 5XCAC 2XCACIB INT CH Irinus de Ferignis
Black
INT CH Jamaha Royal Bell
Black
Champion Mamba Best of Island CHM-HR, HR-Kl.Sg. INT CH Baron Nike Renewal V1 IDC'97 IDC Sieger 98 V1 Eurosieger '98 V1 European Dog Show '98 5x best Progeny Group 18x CAC 15x BOB 7xCACIB INT CH Prinz v. Norden Stamm
Black
INT CH Borana Sawages
Black
Gata best of Island V1-CAC-CACIB-BOB IPO-1 Driver di Casa Coppo
INT CH Alana Best Of Island
Iskra- von Noblesshof CAC
Black Excalibur v. Noblesshof Youth Champion of Serbia, Candidate for Int., Srb, BiH Ch. many times Youth, CAC, CACIB IC & EP Come As You Are Jared FCI World Champion 2006 International Champion ZTP 1A in Italy (judge: P.Pezzano) IPO-1 CH Ardens Gauguin
INT CH Come as you are Alabama
INT CH Rea Rebecca IPO-2 INT CH Brin Ginga House
CH Beatrice Bonfire
DANCING QUEEN V. NOBLESSHOF Baltazar By Free Half Many CAC and BOB CH Tigr iz Slavnoi Stai
Barbika Barbie Renewal
Barbara Bell of Devil Garden INT CH Baron Nike Renewal
Helga Devil Garden

Does that make him ok?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I said he was registered since everyone was asking if he was and he is. As far as titles I know his lineage is pretty good anyway. The dog has been tested for VWD and the other problems mentioned though I know there are some that need to be done later on I believe. I do have to say that only one person replied kindly and even answered my question at all. Everyone else dog piled (yes I made a pun) in on the BYB deal and makes me wonder why I even bothered to post in the first place. We are first time doberman owners but we aren't stupid either. We are long time dog owners of other pure bred dogs (huskies & yorkies) and we though we would check out dobies.

Snooty, presumptuous and arrogant. What is this french poodle board? You guys act like since we are new to this and have some questions we would be just as well off to not have the dog in the first place.

Thank you to Rosemary who gave kind advice and didn't pile on with the rest of the lemmings.

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
Poodles were originally bred in Germany.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
There's an attitude alright but not from other DT members. Name calling is extremely poor form so mind your manners. If you're that thin skinned then a forum is going to be a tough place for you.

The posts on this thread have been factual.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I said he was registered since everyone was asking if he was and he is. As far as titles I know his lineage is pretty good anyway
lineage means nothing. every show quality litter produces pet quality dogs. prove your dog should be bred. put in the work to prove it. otherwise, neuter him and love him for what he is - your pet.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
I'm not going to comment on the quality of your dog since I truly have no idea without seeing him in person... and he is just a baby. However, no one here believes in breeding dogs that have not proven their worth in some fashion and passes their health clearances after the age of 2.

As far as his ears, if they are laying across his head then they need to be posted and possibly correctively posted. Even if it is a short crop, 2 weeks is probably not long enough for them to stand correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops looks like I stirred the nest here. Sorry if I offended anyone but, as an "outsider", the description of the attitude fit. I'm not a elitist I just love animals. I also not thin skinned at all. I'm a devil dog (USMC combat veteran) and I wanted a devil dog so a doberman fit. It was just frustrating to ask for help on one topic (bad ear job) but get drilled on breeding. It felt like the assumptions were made. Oh well. Water under the bridge. All good.

I make regular tips to the pound and HS so the mere though of puppy mill / BYB is horrible to me. Even if I decided to breed we aren't going to pump out a few hundred dogs of lesser traits and lessen the breed. Like I said I have experience with several other pure bred breeds so I'm not a complete novice at this just a dobie noob.

What is everyone's opinion on pet class doberman's? If I follow the logic that the only breeding being done should be by money dogs to improve the species where does the family pet fall? Do people of lesser income have to make do with labs, pits and beagles?

Ok I don't know why I said beagles.......beagles a fun....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts