Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

When should they REALLY be done..?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay, so i just bought a 5 week old Doberman and the breeder told me to get his ears clipped at 6-9 weeks.. well I've had one vet tell me 7-8, another vet says right at about 9 weeks which is the "prime" time for the cartlidge to stand without little wrapping them if any ("more naturaly"), and a previous owner of Dobes saying she didnt do hers until 6 MONTHS.. uhhh biiiggg difference.

if i do them early is it harder for his ears to stay up? i'd hate to put him through all of that to mess up on his little ears! HELPP.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
The breeder should be handling the crop and first post. This alleviates the new owner of the stress. Can you breeder handle the crop?

Also, I hope you don't have your puppy yet, at home with you. 5 weeks is way too early to be away from mom and littermates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i bought him at 5 weeks and he had me pick him up at 6.. when i picked him up he was already separated from the mom and eating soaked Iams puppy food with the rest of the litter. He's already grown in the last week-definitely his paws- and is very strong and healthy!(thank god). he hold'd his own with the other dogs lol.

as far as the ears go he did not do them.. his tail was docked already but he still has his ears. I am just concerned about the cartilage getting damaged and causing him more pain than usual or his ears utimately not standing due to bad timing..

thank you guys for your help!

·
SmellyPirateCootieQueen
1,829 Posts
You're going to need a lot more help than just with the ears. Sounds like you supported a backyard breeder. No pup should leave it's litter-mates and mother until it's 8 weeks old. But, what's done is done and enjoy your pup. I believe they crop between 7-8 weeks. Make sure you get someone who is experienced in cropping dobermans - it is an art. Nothing worse that a pretty dobe with a horrible crop.
Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i bought him at 5 weeks and he had me pick him up at 6.. when i picked him up he was already separated from the mom and eating soaked Iams puppy food with the rest of the litter. He's already grown in the last week-definitely his paws- and is very strong and healthy!(thank god). he hold'd his own with the other dogs lol.

as far as the ears go he did not do them.. his tail was docked already but he still has his ears. I am just concerned about the cartilage getting damaged and causing him more pain than usual or his ears utimately not standing due to bad timing..

thank you guys for your help!
6 weeks is still too early to be away from the rest of the litter and his mother. The breeder should know better. What's done is done though. Our boy had his done at 10 weeks and today at 16 weeks his ears are standing. (we will still post for another 4 - 6 weeks at least though)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Copper got his done at 8 weeks, he is 11 weeks now, they are already standing and look great after one tapping but we will continue tapping for a while anyways

(you can see his first re- tapping on the left)
Hope this helps! good luck with your pup

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ask to see pictures of dogs he\she has cropped. I would even want references from owners who used the vet to crop their dog. Do not let just anyone do the crop. Listen to the good folks on DT and they will help you. Remember, you need someone to show you how to post the ears properly once they are healed. It is a slow process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh trust me i wont let them touch his ears unless i see proof he knows what he's doing!
he has a good rep around here and he does the Medium crop that i like- not too short but not too showy.

My vet that i go to on a regular basis does them but not very often so he game me numbers of others that i'm calling to speak with this week.

Thanks again!! :)

·
joie de vivre
11,315 Posts
oh trust me i wont let them touch his ears unless i see proof he knows what he's doing!
he has a good rep around here and he does the Medium crop that i like- not too short but not too showy.

My vet that i go to on a regular basis does them but not very often so he game me numbers of others that i'm calling to speak with this week.

Thanks again!! :)
If you want a truly good crop, I would contact reputable show breeders in your area and find out who they use to crop their pups.

Sorry, but some supposed 'cropping vets' don't know their head from a hole in the ground and I wouldn't be taking just anyone's advice as to who to hand my puppy over for cropping.

Next pup, try really hard to find an ethical breeder and you won't even have to deal with this kind of stuff, let alone all the other things to be concerned about regarding crappy breeders.

Good luck!

ETA...Also, this is just me being annoyingly picky about how to construct a survey but I've had this beat into my head for social research. I'm sorry but that poll doesn't make any sense. Your options are '6-9 weeks', '7-8 weeks' (which is included in the 6-9 week range), '6 months' (which is included in the next option), and '6-9 months'. It makes it impossible to pick one option without actually selecting two options.

If you want those options specifically then it would most make sense like...
6-7 weeks
8-9 weeks
6-9 months

Although, really you're leaving out a ton of in-between options. What about the time period between 9 weeks and 6 months?

To answer your actual question though, I've always heard it's best to crop a pup between 6-12 weeks and anything after 12 weeks is a bad idea and the crop is likely to not stand.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If you're concerned, you could always leave them uncropped. Nothing wrong with a natural eared doberman. If you decide to get them cropped, I would only suggest going to a vet that show breeders use -
even if it means you have to drive a distance.

Otherwise you could end up with horrible looking ears. You should also plan on researching exactly how to post ears properly and be prepared to post as long as it takes for them to stand.

For example, I had to post my girls ears for a year. The point is, when you go to an ethical breeder, the ears are cropped, healed, posted and the breeder helps you with the posting of the ears or
referring you to someone who can - you're not on your own. It's not cheap to crop and you have to be fully committed to do it the right way.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
This is a picture of my boy at three months.

The ears should look like this and not have a huge bell on them like so many horrible croppers leave. They should take out the lower ear, ask your vet if he does this and it will help tell you whether he knows how to do a good crop or not hopefully.

The closest good vet I have is in St Louis and another one in Frisco, Tx. They are about the same distance of 340 miles.

Maybe someone knows of a closer one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally prefer natural ears. Since I got my puppy almost every person who has met him has congratulated me on leaving his ears natural and have commented on how it makes him look so much cuter. It is amazing how many believe ear cropping is cruel, maybe it's because dobermans aren't as common in my area but I am happy with my decision. There must be a reason cropping and docking are illegal in many countries. If you read all the threads about ears on here there seems to be a lot of problems with cropping as well. I don't mean to offend anyone but I hope that new dobe owners realize that natural ears are just as beautiful as cropped and cropping is not necessary.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
All the Dobes I've owned or fostered except one came to me cropped or, if natural-eared, too old to crop when I got them. The one exception was a 7-week-old pup who'd been dumped on the roadside. After he had his vax and been de-parasited, I called a local show-Dobe breeder who gave me the name of the vet all the show breeders used.

I went through all my Dobe books and put sticky-notes on pix of the medium-length crop I wanted. I gave the books to the cropping vet and he did a great job and gave me exactly what I wanted. I took the pup to my regular vet once a week for after-care (cleaning, posting, taping, etc). After a couple of months, the ears stood very nicely.

You can also contact your nearest Dobe club and ask them for names of experienced Dobe cropping vets.

Hope this info helps. :wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts