Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Susan will be 7 months old on the 25th this month. I really want to just let them go and see how long they stand and if they are finished being posted.

I'm a little nervous though, her ears haven't been posted for about 3 days now. In the mornings they appear a little weak, I don't know if that is because she was so relaxed during the night or what. But, by time she goes out for her morning bathroom break her ears are back to normal.

It's just so nerve racking. I feel like if they go for 10 days or whatever then get weak, then I've failed because I should've been posting that whole time.

Do I just go for it and see what they do? Isn't 7 months getting towards the end of their ears potential to stand?

Here are some pics from this morning.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It's basically a waiting game. If you see any signs of falling put them back up straight away for about two weeks.

I've heard that ears are weaker in the mornings but I'm not sure if there's much truth to that? Somebody else will know, I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Our rule of thumb at work is usually "if you think your done, go another week." Sort of a safety measure we like, it could be shes done and her ears are just warm and relaxed from sleeping or that she's almost done and thats why they're tired in the morning.
For my girl (and they're all different) her ears are perky the moment she's up as long as she didnt sleep with it folded under her head and make it warm, soft, and therefore weak.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
They look pretty solid - at this point you can leave them down and just watch them. If the look like they are going to droop post them for 2 more weeks and try again but they look good to me.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Is it just the tips that are weak? You can use breath rite strips for the tips. They look pretty good in the pictures. If they are weak in the mornings well I would continue to post or like I said use the breath rite strips.

No harm though in continuing to post a couple more weeks just to make sure. Many pups are posted right up until a year so 7 months is not near the end time. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it just the tips that are weak? You can use breath rite strips for the tips. They look pretty good in the pictures. If they are weak in the mornings well I would continue to post or like I said use the breath rite strips.

No harm though in continuing to post a couple more weeks just to make sure. Many pups are posted right up until a year so 7 months is not near the end time. ;)

YEah in the morning it's just the tips. It last just about 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If its just the tips and they come up in five minutes I would say you are more than likely done. You can keep an eye on them and if they show any regression start wrapping a layer of tape around where the bend is to strenthen and straighten the ear or use the strips for a couple of weeks to a month and test again. I would wait it out myself, but you have to do what makes you most comfortable.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm in the same boat with you :) Gunner is almost 9 months and his ears are finally almost done. They have been down a week, but the tips were still a bit weak so I've added the breath-rite strips. Super easy to use and he doesn't even know they are there. He's definitely happier without the posts and tape! Hers look pretty solid, but like the others have said, do what feels best for you.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
A good ex military friend of mine, told me, once i felt i was done, leave them unposted for a week and if no falthering, you are good to go and let the dog work he muscles rather than being restricted by the posts. If they drop or go weak, then post mininum 2 more weeks= 1month.
Seems to work for me.

Reactions: LindaH
1 - 10 of 10 Posts