Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took mayhems posts off toady, I noticed that his right ear was bleeding. I cleaned it off and found a spot (about the size of 1/2 an eraser) on the very edge of his ear. (along the edge that the ears were cropped) I didnt use really adhesive tape..I use stretchy sports tape. I dont know what it could be and I dont want to take Mayhem to the vet over every little thing but if it sounds seroius I certianly will!
Please let me know what your thoughts are on what it could be or what I should do.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Picture to follow

·
Registered
726 Posts
I guess it depends how much it is bleeding. If it is just a drop or two of blood, then I wouldn't worry too much. If your dog is still four months (according to your profile) then he has likely had his ears cropped in the last 1-2 months. Is that right? Can you follow up with your breeder or with the vet that did them?

If the scabs aren't healed you shouldn't be posting the ears until they're healed. Otherwise, they won't heal with tape over them and could get infected.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much for your help and suggestions. =) I feel much better about it. I think im just being a paranoid mommy

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I cut my dog's ear once trying to get the post off, just a little slice but I felt so bad. It's not a big deal though, just post as usual except don't tape over the wound so it can heal.

Reactions: Sicjoke

·
Super Moderator
22,945 Posts
When you say stretchy sports tape, do you mean vet wrap? The kind of elastic bandage that adheres to itself? If so, you have to be really careful, because it tightens up after you put it on and it's really easy to get it too tight and cut off circulation.

Reactions: Sicjoke and alan j.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you say stretchy sports tape, do you mean vet wrap? The kind of elastic bandage that adheres to itself? If so, you have to be really careful, because it tightens up after you put it on and it's really easy to get it too tight and cut off circulation.

yeah thats the stuff...I had initially started using it becuase it pulls less hair off of his ears when I change the posts, but i have just gone back to the medical tape. Ill just have to get more adhesive remover.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
yeah thats the stuff...I had initially started using it becuase it pulls less hair off of his ears when I change the posts, but i have just gone back to the medical tape. Ill just have to get more adhesive remover.
If you put powder on the ears/hair before you tape, most of the hair will be left behind. I use baby powder.

Reactions: Sicjoke
1 - 11 of 11 Posts