Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Earl's momma
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl is now 10 weeks and 4 days old. He's super playful and very energetic. I'm having a great time with him.

I have a couple of questions, and I know I could find answers if I looked but I'd also like some more direct ones.

His ears were cropped and glued to a foam block until about 9 weeks. The ears came off the block and I taped them to the block for about 2 days. It wasn't working. The tape wouldn’t hold the ears. So with a lot of baby oil and time, I worked the block off his head. My first attempts at posting were pretty pathetic. The first ones popped out of the base of his ear after one good head shake. I took them down and re-taped, using a bit more tape, and shoving the posts down as far as possible (not forcing, he never made a peep throughout the process). Those stayed in for about 2 days. They looked dirty (we play outside A LOT) so I put in some fresh ones and taped him back up. Funny thing is I used a different type of tape (cloth tape that seemed to have barely any glue to it, i didn't think it would even hold up an hour!), but I did use vet wrap (VERY loosely, as I know it shrinks, and can cut off circulation, it was mostly to make him look cool - and festive as I did red for Canada day!) That was on Sunday, on Wednesday morning one of the bases and popped out again but I put it back in and it seemed to stay ok til thursday. I was taking them down to air out for a bit and repost and i noticed he had sores (little scabbies, with bloody/pussy stuff, about a drop that leaked into the tape) at the very bottom of the ear, on the inside right on top of his head.I immediately got that post off. The other one looked good, until the next day, same thing, but much smaller, no bloody/pussy stuff on that one.

I attached a picture where you can kind of see the scabbies. It's the best i have of them. It's been a couple days and they are healing up ok, and for some crazy reason his ears stand beautifully! I've seen one flop, when he first woke up after a night's sleep. I stood it back up and it hasn't gone since. They point a bit outwards when he is relaxed, but stand perfectly straight when he's paying attention. There's a bit of a pocket in the right ear was down for a day longer than the other and the one that had more scabbies, and a little more curve it the ends, but other than that they are great.

Long story, simple question - Obviously I will not repost while there's still scabbies, but how do I keep them from coming back?? The tape was not tight, just tight enough to keep the posts in. He's very rough and tumble/runs headlong into me instead of stopping, and needs them firmly attached! I don't thinks it's an allergy or anything, the rest of the ears are perfectly fine. Any advice would be great.

Biting - I had heard "dobershark" tossed around but holy mackerel - it never stops. If he is awake, he's looking for a hand/foot/ankle/knee/hair to grab ahold of. I call it shark week, cause he litterally looks like one of those sharks jumping out of the water after a baby seal, jaws and teeth flapping wildly. I'm trying everything, redirect, redirect, redirect. When he lands a good chomp I yelp and run away, completely ending play time. Problem with this is it often leaves him unattended and leads to him finding something I REALLY don't want him chewing on (couch, carpets???, tables and chairs). A firm no everytime. Some days it seems to work and he really does slow down on the biting, but others it just works him up even more. Problem with the redirection is he only seems to bit interested in a toy for about a minute on his own then goes off in search of something else. The only way to keep his interest in a toy is if i hold onto it, and then it turns into tug-of-war, another big no-no.

Do I just need to stick to it? He's so young (I guess I keep forgetting that I've only had him home for 2 1/2 weeks), and despite his gargantuan size (25lbs this morning!!) he's just a baby! Is there anything you can see that I'm doing wrong?? It's def worse when he's tired, there's been a few times he's fallen asleep mid chew - see attached photo!

Barking & growling- I have no idea how to stop it. It's when he gets worked up. And when I end play it gets worse because then he's just bored. If I put him in his crate he barks like crazy for a few minutes then calms right down. But I don't want his crate to ever seem like punishment, i never scold him when he goes in. I simply place him in there (and most of the time he saunters in on his own) and he settles right down after a couple seconds. The issue is that I have a roommate - who has actually decided she hates my little buddy, because he barked one night for about 15 seconds after we had come in from our 2am pee, and he wanted to play rather than go back to sleep. I know that if I let him go for 15-20 seconds he settles down, but this is unfortunately unacceptable to her. This is an entirely different can of worms, her complete 180 on the joys of puppyhood after one incident on his 3rd night home. I'm losing a roommate because of this (and really many other things) and I don't want it to affect neighbours. Right now I'm crating him aT MY parents house just around the corner, and I have no idea if he barks during the day. I don't want to find out the hard way that he does and get in trouble in my apartment building. He LOVES his crate, and I often find him happily snoozing there on his own accord. I DO NOT want to use shock or citronella collars or a spray bottle, or pennies in a can. I need help, some thing that may have worked for you?? I've got a ton of patience for him (aside from everything he is a dream come true, 10+ years of wating to get my Doberman and i'll do anything for him) and i want a happy, healthy, well adjusted little man to spend my time with! He's amazing with other dogs and cats and babies even (it's like he knows to be extra gentle with my 11 month old neice - although we do make sure the shark attack is under control when they see each other!)

He's going into puppy classes as soon as he has his full vaccinations (July 25!) and i know this will help a lot with everything, but until then i'll take any and all advice you may have for me!

SOOOOO sorry for the length of this post, i could talk for days about my awesome puppyface!!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I cannot give advice about the ears but I'm sure someone else who can will chime in.

As for biting, you need to stick to it. I never ran away after yelling. I just got up and stood still for a bit, not making eye contact. All dogs are different but this worked for my boy. I wouldn't use his crate as a punishment but perhaps when it happens you could stick a leash on him and tether him to something nearby. He will be forced to stop play that way. Of course, make sure there is nothing that he can get into or tear up nearby.

When I first crated Dreizehn he barked and whined and made sounds that were so painful to me to listen to. I felt horrible! This lasted about 10-15 minutes and the amount of time that it took gradually got shorter and shorter until he stopped making sounds when he was crated. No, he was not happy at first. Now, however, he walks right into his crate and lays down the first time I ask. Also, when he's scared, his favorite place to go is to his crate.

It sounds like the best advice that I can give you is patience and persistence. This is a smart breed, your boy will catch on.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Who was your breeder? They should be able to help you with the taping. But I agree that no taping should be done until the wounds heal up.

As for being left unattended, it shouldn't happen at this age. I would invest in an xpen if I were you or tether the pup to you if you aren't able to watch him but don't want him crated.

Keep at it with the no biting, there isn't much else to be done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Biting - I had heard "dobershark" tossed around but holy mackerel - it never stops. If he is awake, he's looking for a hand/foot/ankle/knee/hair to grab ahold of. I call it shark week, cause he litterally looks like one of those sharks jumping out of the water after a baby seal, jaws and teeth flapping wildly. !!
:roflmao::roflmao: I am sorry, I know you are having a bad time, but this has cracked me up! :lol2: I can laugh now until our Dobergirl puppy comes home in early August. I have to say, I am getting a little scared after reading your post! Good luck!

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
Sooo funny, everything you said we've been there (in some cases are there) and done that. Our pup's only a couple of weeks older than Earl. I can echo what Patchwork said about teaching bite inhibition, just yelp loudly when teeth sink into skin and remove yourself - his favorite plaything - from the fun. It can be as subtle as turning your back to him and ignoring him. I've found our girl has really turned a corner with the impact of her bites in just a few weeks.

Don't know if your a mom, but like human babies it seems milestones can happen from one week to the next. So yes, patience and consistency and you'll notice gradual gains week over week. Puppy classes are fun and will teach you cool tricks to get their attention and focus on you. Plus it's just extra time to bond with Earl - with a face like his could you ever get enough?

But know you're not alone. You just described in perfect detail a rediculously average and normal dobe pup!

As for the roomate...tell her you'll give her an extra 20 seconds of peace tonight to make up for what she lost. Even steven! :roflmao:

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with the scabs at the base of the ear. Same spot and everything. At first I just noticed a small scab on Riley. Looked like he scratched too hard and hurt himself, and at the time nothing had gotten on the tape yet.

Day later, base of the tape was getting gross, and his fur around the scab was also gross. Again, just figuring he wont stop scratching... so he made it worse? After I removed the tape I saw it was gross under the tape near the base, just above the scab area. Poor guy was rolling all over the place complaining and rubbing his ear on the carpet. It either hurts or itches like crazy I imagine.

So far we just used peroxide on the scab area and when I re-taped I made sure not to tape over the scab. I am hoping if he leaves it alone it'll heal up. If it doesn't or gets worse we'll have to take him into the vets again I guess since his elizabethan collar is too small to use again.

But yeah, I feel pretty terrible about this. Other than that one issue, his ears have been doing great and I keep getting compliments on my posting skills. Riley doesn't even struggle much when I do it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The glue we use on the cups needs a remover to take off the cup so not sure what was used on your cup. You will need help to learn how to post the ears and if you had the glue you could put them back up on the cup till the ear has healed. Can't post unless it's healed.

I don't allow our puppies to bite at me. I take their muzzle and press it gently when I say NO- very forgiving but firm. I have seen the mother do this with puppies to show them that biting hurts. Be consistant and gentle though.

·
Earl's momma
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But know you're not alone. You just described in perfect detail a rediculously average and normal dobe pup!
:
THANK YOU!!!! I feel a lot better hearing that!:thanx:

The scabbies are all but gone now. his ears are going back up soon. They are super floppy now and he looks like a goober. They make him look quite sad, dejected even if the angle is right. then he gets up and runs in circles, chasing his nub and i feel a lot better.

I'll keep at it with the biting, and keep reminding myself that he's a BABY! lol that is the biggest issue i think.

We're started classes ASAP. Last shots are on the 25th and then we are good to go. My brother got us puppy classes at the place where he took his dogs for agility. They are great and we're really looking forward to it! Earl already knows sit, and believe me when there's a treat or food in my hands, that bum hits the ground so fast! I'm so impressed with how fast he learned that and i can't wait to add more.

We are having a REALLY hard time with walks. He downright refuses to turn left out of the driveway. We can't even get past the next house, the brakes go on and NOTHING can get him going again.

I've tried treats, i've tried peanut butter on a long spoon. The only thing that works is if i walk a few steps, crouch down and he will run up to me and go a couple more steps, then brakes again! As much as i want to be super fit, i can't go much longer lunge-walking around the hood. I look a fool too.

any advice? thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you can watch him in the house and outside, leave the lead on him and let him drag it. That might help so that he gets use to the lead etc.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
Oh yeah, Riley's first few "walks" were a nightmare for the both of us, I imagine, but he's great now. He doesn't stop much, listens to "leave it" about 1/2 the time, and always goes in the right direction. Problem now is he pulls me way too much, bites his leash and my pants when he gets tired, but he's doing better on that, too.

So, I'd say it'll just take time for him to get used to leaving the comfort of his/your front yard. Baby steps. Once he gets used to walking a certain distance and doesn't try to pull you back home, just go a little further every day to push his comfort zone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Posting ears

Make sure you clean the the sores and the ears with peroxide and also some vinegar. The vinegar helps kill any yeast from sores. You should also clean the inside of the ears out before reposting. I use a little solution of 50/50 water/vinegar with a splash of rubbing alcohol (you can google this). Make sure there isn't that "dirty sock" smell in his ears, that's a sign of yeast and potentially infection.

I posted on another thread about placing the tape low on the ear at the "V". You might want to search it on here. It appears you do not have the tape low enough (and probably don't have the posts in far enough). That can cause the posts to pop out.

I had my boy's ears cropped a few months ago. You might want to get some cosmetic cotton squares. Cut a small piece that will cover the the scabbies to keep the tape or VetWrap off them. I noticed as the weeks went on, the sores were fewer and the posts stayed in better. Using tape like Zonas instead of VetWrap at this point, may help keep the post better secured. After two months of posting, I am using VW again now. I use white tape at the bottom of the "V" to help keep it secure. You do have to twist the post in and keep the ear taunt while taping it up. That will help keep it in and prevent the "pocket".

Looking at his pics, IMO, you need to keep posting so the tips do not start to curl inward as it appears they're doing. Better to post for "too long" than not long enough. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts