Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I Taped Holly's Ears the Second time for Two weeks the right one stood and is still standing perfect to this day. The Left Ear stood fine for a few Days then fell I taped the Left one again. It stands up now but not very good near the top of the Ear it usually is flaping down. Her right Ear is just about always up the only way the left one stands completly up is if im playing fetch or giving her a Treat or something gets her attention. You say well why dont you just tape it again? Well the now ex-Vet that would tape her ears used a method that pretty much took a large amount of hair off her ear. I went to a different vet and she said I would tape it but it the hair needs to grow back and it needed a break b.c it was sore. I dont go back until April 11 I went to the vet to get a small lump looked at on her thigh I was told it was nothing she said if it gets any bigger to come back. So one ear can be stronger then the other one? That stinks I doubt the Hair will be growed back by April11 now im prolly gonna have to tape her ear for ever after this i dont understand why it wouldnt stand as good as the right one lol sigh when the left one does stand all the up its like at a angle pointing out away from her head .. and the right one is straight it was prolly that crappy vets fault idk please tell me theres a good chance it will stand great like the other one lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
It needs to be retaped. there are other ways besides tape on the outside. you can use moleskin and a type of glue on the inside. maybe someone else can be more specific. I haven't used this method. just be sure to pull the ear up on top of the head.

·
Banned
675 Posts
How old is the puppy, and how long have you been taping the ears? This is someting that is hard for inexperienced owners to deal with, which is why breeders usually take care of the cropping and immediate aftercare, then instruct the new owner on how to tape. You don't need a vet to do the taping, you can do it yourself but you do need to know how to do it.

There are products on the market you can find them on the internet that are made to dissolve the glue in the tape so you can remove it without pulling out the hair. Acetone will do it, and acetone is the main ingredient in fingernail polish remover. If the puppy has sores on its ears they do need to heal before you tape the ears again so the sores won't fester under the tape. But you don't have to wait until the hair grows back on the ears.

The best way to learn how to tape the ears is to have an experienced person show you, in person, "hands on".
If it's impossible to find someone like that within driving distance, there are internet sites that show you how. The method I use is the same one as shown on doberman pages. You can google them, I think the URL is www.doberpages.com but I can't swear to it.

It's common for one ear to be stronger than the other.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Maybe trying vetwrap, thats what BackInBlack used. This way there is no tape involved accept at the base. I am sure if you asked BackInBlack could help you on this. It may not be the favoured method but then again there is no tape issue. Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts