Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Girl is 8 mo. old with long crop. I'm worried about the ear tip flipping (curling) inward especially right ear tip, I always put breathe rite strips on as soon as I remove posting and tape. Curling doesn't seem to get better. I am very concerned at this point. Help much appreciated. Here are a few pics taken 10 mins after removing tape and post.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
I can’t see your pictures, but trying to imagine things from your description--Is the ear curling toward the breathe right strip? Maybe the weight of the strip is pulling it down?

I’d go back to posting instead of using breathe right strips, and make sure that when you stick the post to the ear, you make an absolutely straight line up the post with the inside edge of her ear (leaving in that natural fold at the bottom of the ear, of course.) Make sure the post is longer than the tip of her ear and tape up and over the tip of the ear so it can’t go anywhere but straight up the post to the very end of the ear.

I’m guessing you already know that--but without a picture, it’s hard to give advice.

Are you using an online photohost like Flickr or Imgur (free)? Those apps make it easier to post on a forum.

·
Super Moderator
22,318 Posts
I can't see photos, either.

I never found breathe rights super helpful, really. When the tips flip in, sometimes people aren't using long enough posts, and so the tips aren't getting proper support. I'd go back to posting with whatever method you are using, making sure the posts are LONGER than the ear, and that the tip of the ear is being supported and taped - LIGHTLY, and not too tight - right at the tip.

Reactions: melbrod and dobebug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can’t see your pictures, but trying to imagine things from your description--Is the ear curling toward the breathe right strip? Maybe the weight of the strip is pulling it down?

I’d go back to posting instead of using breathe right strips, and make sure that when you stick the post to the ear, you make an absolutely straight line up the post with the inside edge of her ear (leaving in that natural fold at the bottom of the ear, of course.) Make sure the post is longer than the tip of her ear and tape up and over the tip of the ear so it can’t go anywhere but straight up the post to the very end of the ear.

I’m guessing you already know that--but without a picture, it’s hard to give advice.

Are you using an online photohost like Flickr or Imgur (free)? Those apps make it easier to post on a forum.

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
I have corrected curled in ear tips using BreatheRite strips where the curl was not severe and if it was I have used Mole Foam (not Mole Skin but the heavier Mole Foam) glued into the tip of the ear and pre trimmed to shape so that it is longer than the curl--if the curl in is very severe I go back to a full post and echo Meadowcats advice to make sure that the post is longer than the ear so that the tip is fully supported and firmly taped to the post so that it does not curl.

Pictures didn't show up for me either.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
I'm seeing pictures now.

It looks like you need to keep posting. Both ears still look "soft", especially her right one. I'd follow MeadowCat's advice to really make sure the tips are supported. Also, don't leave them unposted any longer than it takes to get them clean and dried. No waiting to "see what happens" when they are unsupported.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always use breathe rite strips, as soon as I unpost. I never let them go more than a few minutes before I apply BR strips. But as soon as I remove a BR strip right ear tip will begin to curl after a few minutes of her moving around. Do you guys think those tips will eventually stiffen and stay straight? Also, should I still post or BR strips only, since base seems stable? I'm a bit stressed with these ears at the moment. Thanks for all the help...

·
Super Moderator
22,318 Posts
I always use breathe rite strips, as soon as I unpost. I never let them go more than a few minutes before I apply BR strips. But as soon as I remove a BR strip right ear tip will begin to curl after a few minutes of her moving around. Do you guys think those tips will eventually stiffen and stay straight? Also, should I still post or BR strips only, since base seems stable? I'm a bit stressed with these ears at the moment. Thanks for all the help...
I would recommend not using breathe rights, but just continue posting. I think people are often in a rush to stop posting too early.

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
Now that I can see the pictures I'd recommend that you keep doing a full post or since the bases appear to be up and stabile maybe a half post)--the curl at the tip is NOT the kind of tip curl I though you were talking about. BreatheRite strips and Mole Foam work on tips that curl at the very tip but not so well on the type that your Dobe has.

If you have been posting using backing rod--be very careful that the post itself isn't allowing a bend in about halfway or 2/3 of the way up the ear. If this is happening you might try stiffening the post with an added piece of tongue depressor on the side of the post away from the ear so that the post itself can't curve in. Don't use it on the entire post just from about half way up the post and the base of the post should still sit at about 10 - 2. I see pictures of a lot of puppies whose posts either bend in or out because they are not stiff enough to remain straight.

What your girls ears look like is like she has a partial pocket but part way up the ear leather instead of at the base where you would usually find a pocket. It's just sort of a bend in the ear leather and not a crease. The other thing that often helps is to put two or even three layers of tape at the point where the ear starts that inward curve--this will provide a little extra heat at that point which softens the cartilage a bit so the ear is more likely to straighten out the set it is presently taking (much more apparent on the right ear than the left ear. Try that for a couple of tapings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts