Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if anyone knew if hair loss on the base of the ear is normal while taping any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Extraordimary
4,979 Posts
If you're not using anything to dissolve the tape residue before removing the tape, then yes, there would be some hair loss (which will grow back.)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
What do you use to dissolve tape residue??

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have used masking tape quite a bit instead of the white medical tape. As with any tape, you need to be very careful not to put it on too tightly (loosely wrap tape around ear and then "scrunch" it down with you hand). The masking tape is cheap, and saves the hair on the ear. You do have to replace it more frequently because it is less sticky.

I recommend watching the areas where the hair has been pulled out closely. If the skin is looking red/oozy, etc., then you should take your pup to your vet.

You can try vegetable oil to help cut the stickiness of the tape - use small amount - or it can be hard to get the tape to stick. They do also make tape remover products (try your local drug store in the medical supply section). Alternatively I have used "goo gone" in small amounts and cleaned it off right away afterward. Be sure to use the citrus types, not the toxic chemical kinds and always clean it off with soapy water/shampoo right afterward.
Good luck!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Uni-solve works good for tape residue. Its by Smith&nephew. I also powder the back of the ears with BFI powder to help reduce the tape sticking to the hair.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If you're not using anything to dissolve the tape residue before removing the tape, then yes, there would be some hair loss (which will grow back.)
I've never had that much hair loss on ears, and I rarely use anything to dissolve the adhesive before removing the tape. But I powder the heck out of the entire ear before posting..this in addition to the zonas tape seems to allow the tape to come off with really minimal hair loss.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have bought an adhesive remover that comes in wipes, but when I brought Cooper home from the breeder and had to redo the posts for the first time there was a strip where the hair was gone ath the base of the ear, but it isnt pink, or sore looking...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have bought an adhesive remover that comes in wipes, but when I brought Cooper home from the breeder and had to redo the posts for the first time there was a strip where the hair was gone ath the base of the ear, but it isnt pink, or sore looking...
My breeder told me to get Horsemans Dream brand of cream for scratches, sores, etc. I forgot the name of it. It rubs in real well and absorbs quick. I got it for the times when his places on his ears are sort of inflamed looking or pink. I think it was around $6.00. He will get these types of places sooner or later. I am also trying powdering the ear like Kratty and Cheryl said. Well he might not if you powder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts