Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a Dobe yet, but am looking into the breed thoroughly. I definitely want one of these beauties, but I have minimal experience. That's another story though, in another post.

My number one concern is the ear cropping and taping. First question is - do most breeders have the ear cropping done before they let their pups go to new homes?

Second question is - how difficult is taping? I've never done it, and since I live in a very rural area, vet access is somewhat difficult. I can't just run to my vet to get ear taping help. Also, how long does ear taping last? Can someone give me a short rundown - I've researched but am definitely the type of person who learns better from hands on.

Third and final question - Since I have never taped, the thought of needing to without any expert help close by is a little intimidating. The breeder I'm looking at has an older puppy for sale - would they ever adopt those out to someone like myself -looking for strictly a pet? I know getting an older pup would have many other pros and cons as well. Just curiosity.
Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I do not have a Dobe yet, but am looking into the breed thoroughly. I definitely want one of these beauties, but I have minimal experience. That's another story though, in another post.

My number one concern is the ear cropping and taping. First question is - do most breeders have the ear cropping done before they let their pups go to new homes?

yes most! quality breeders do but it isn't a guarantee with all of them

Second question is - how difficult is taping? I've never done it, and since I live in a very rural area, vet access is somewhat difficult. I can't just run to my vet to get ear taping help. Also, how long does ear taping last? Can someone give me a short rundown - I've researched but am definitely the type of person who learns better from hands on.

Heres a search of ear taping threads that are mostly old but still helpful, you can also search posting, ear posting, and etc.. The members hear all love to help! And there is a sticky not on a great posting method!(i did a quick search and didnt see it, but it is out there) http://www.dobermantalk.com/search.php?searchid=2180125

this one in particular is for finding people close to you interested in helping another out.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/search.php?searchid=2180125

Third and final question - Since I have never taped, the thought of needing to without any expert help close by is a little intimidating. The breeder I'm looking at has an older puppy for sale - would they ever adopt those out to someone like myself -looking for strictly a pet? I know getting an older pup would have many other pros and cons as well. Just curiosity.

An older pup is a great idea for a newer owner, or someone wanting to skip some of the young baby craziness, including ears. The right breeder places the right dog to the right home so if your a good match isn't anything I could say, but you sound willing to learn and that you would be devoted to the dog and that's a good start!

Thanks in advance! :)
Bold is my response :)
Good luck and enjoy the pup, stick around too, there's lots to learn about picking the right breeder and all sorts of great dober info
(I got to skip posting my own particular dog, but still had to do it at work for the litter after :rolleyesww: such is life lol)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Question one: Most RESPONSIBLE breeders will crop before the puppies leave for their new homes. Backyard breeders usually don't since it's an added expense and they are generally only wanting to make money. I would focus only on breeders who will have the pup cropped before you bring it home. Again, choose your breeder carefully and make sure it is an ethical person who will stand by you and be there to support you for the life of your dog.

Question two: Taping can be intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it it's really not that bad. I'm not going into detail on how to tape because there are many different methods and the internet is full of tutorials and info. Again, choose a good quality breeder and they will show you how to tape before you take your dog home. If they aren't willing to do that, run the other way ;) The time it takes for a dog's ears to stand really varies. My first doberman had a shorter crop and her ears were standing by 4 months old. Gunner is 9 months and we are still working on them. It's not uncommon to have to tape for a year but the average is probably closer to 6-8 months.

Third question: I guess that depends on the breeder. Personally, I really prefer to get older puppies for many reasons. When I got Gunner at 15 weeks, he was SO much easier than the young pups I've had in the past. If the breeder is ethical and decent, they will likely ask a lot of questions about you, but that is a good thing. It shows they are wanting to find the best home for their dog and aren't just after your money. I would be suspicicious of any breeder who didn't ask any questions about you and your home life.

Again, please be careful when choosing a breeder. I can't say that enough. This is not a healthy breed and you want to give yourself the best chance to have a great first experience with this amazing breed :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
If you want cropped ears, buy from a breeder that handles the crop, 1st taping and will show you how to tape.

There are some working/sport breeders that do not crop and/or dock. That doesn't mean they are a bad breeder.

What breeder are you considering that has older pups?

Be sure to review the link in my signature line for a breeder checklist.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Most reputable breeders with crop for you and take care of them why they have stiches and show you how to post.

Posting is not hard I was nervous too but it turns out it is super easy and Diesel has been great with it. The amount of time posting ranges the shortest I've heard is 4 months. It also depends on the crop. If you get a show crop it may take longer then if you get a medium crop.

Your breeder should be more then happy to show you how to post. Mine showed me and gave me all the supplies to start off :)

Good luck!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Just for clarification on this...

Some BYB's and what I would classify as puppy mill/commercial breeders crop ears. That doesn't mean they are responsible/ethical with their breeding practices. Again, it's important to do your homework :)

If you want cropped ears, buy from a breeder that handles the crop, 1st taping and will show you how to tape.

There are some working/sport breeders that do not crop and/or dock. That doesn't mean they are a bad breeder.

What breeder are you considering that has older pups?

Be sure to review the link in my signature line for a breeder checklist.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
As for tapping ears, once you do it a few dozen times, you become a pro. It really depends on the method your breeder uses or which one you choose. There are a lot of videos out on the net about this.

When I got my 2nd girl, her breeder allowed me to video tape the posting removal and the re-posting of the ears. It good to see the pro's do it, since John & Shirley Eck have been doing this for a long time.

Now for my shameless plug. You can see the videos here.

The Posting Page

1 - 7 of 7 Posts