Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARRRRGH! I've had to give Wonder's ears two chances to air today because he keeps popping the post out of the bottom. *sigh* I'm really hauling on his ears to get the posts in to the very bottom and it's making him whine, and he still pops the darn things out. I had them perfect and they stayed in for three days. They got wet so I changed them this morning after they aired. Now they're down again because they're a bit red and sore from being taped and untaped. I want the inflammation to go down a bit and then i'll try again. Poor monster.

His ears aren't falling, is it okay to leave them to calm down a bit or do I need to plaster them back up?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java would do the same thing. I'd leave them for a day, but maybe put Breathe-Rites on them to keep them up. Be sure to use the Unisolve and sports tape so that there isn't too much pulling when you need to remove the posts. Are use using the surgical glue to keep the posts in place (can't remember the name off the top of my head)?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I use one type of super sticky tape to put the posts in, then the ears get wrapped LOOSELY in vet wrap. The tops and bottoms are secured with papertape and the brace is made with silk tape. It works wondefully and pulls minimum hair off the back of the ears. I'm just having lots of trouble getting the posts in deep enough today. Is it really okay to use breath rites for a little bit at 15 weeks?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I'm not sure if getting the posts deep enough is the problem, because it sounds like the ears are sliding down the posts, which then makes it very easy for the posts to pop out of the ear.

One of the things we do is to put cotton in the bottom of the post that sits in the ear. It creates a little padded base and cuts down on irritation. I also smear the cotton with neosporene to prevent any infection and it cuts down on the irritation. Once we insert the post in the ear, I secure the tip of the ear to the top of the post. I stretch the tip a bit up the post and tape it in place. This helps the ears from sliding down the post and kinda creates the force to keep the post in the ear. We also powder the backs of the ear with BFI powder before we wrap tape around it. This really helps to keep the tape from pulling out the hair on the ears. I would check with your breeder because I assume you are using their techiques and probably will know why this keeps happening.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Very nice! Looks like you are doing a good job so far! I agree, I would contact your breeder and ask them. Im sure she would be more than willing to give you advice on how to correct it. He is adorable.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
You "do" need to stretch them as you post, but.....I had a client that stretched the ear so hard and tight that they actually stretched the pocket ouf of the ear. At 6 months (and older) his ears hung like a hound dog. We had to do alot to get that pocket back in and it wasn't easy to do so stretch but not TOO hard.
Are you making your posts with sticky tape on the outside so the ear sticks to the post? You want it down in the ear good but just put them down in as far as they'll go then gently stretch the ear up and stick it to the post. No need to stretch to the point he whines.
Only use breathrite's when just the tip is not up. Otherwise the ear will just fall down anyway. His ears are looking great. I'd let them rest a little before putting them back up. Make sure his ears aren't greasy from medicine when you put them back up or the tape won't stick.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hasve you tried back wrapping the post with the adhesiveto the ear that might keep the ear up better.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not stretching the pocket out, they're stretched just enough to hold everything up. He only ever whines about one ear, and it's not an "OWWW!" whine, it's the "okay mom, enough, it's getting uncomfortable" sort. He doesn't shake his head or act sore after it's in.

The posts are back-taped so they stick. The tape I use doesn't hurt the skin at all unless I have to rip the posts out and retape a few times. The only part of skin with any tape on it is the inside ear and the very tip. I like the method a lot, there's just a bit of a learning curve. I think I've got it for today. :)

Thank you all for helping. Any other magical suggestions would be appreciated though!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I love his crop!!! His ears are gorgeous! You will get better at posting, because you will be doing it until he is done teething....that's when he is around 6 months old!

Carol

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely prepared to do it that long. It's so worth it, though my next might be a natural! *chuckle*
I wish Petey's ears were natural....his crop is a complete mess, and will never look ok, all scared and weird looking. He has grown into them some, and still has a bit more growing to do, so hopefully you won't notice them too much in a few months. People stop when they see him and say how beautiful he is, and no one comments on his ears like they used to, they do comment on his feet! Tonight someone said he looks soooo goofy with those HUGE FEET! I heard someone say the other day....hey look at that dog, he looks like Marmaduke! Grrrrr!

Carol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts