Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is Petey this morning after having his ear posts off for 24 hours. Just the tips are bending into each other. He is 20 weeks old today and only has about 8 adult teeth. Should we just be taping the tops or continue to post the entire ear until all his teeth are in?

Is he going to grow into the ears???? We are starting to worry!

Thanks for your help.

Carol

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I can't answer you ear question but he sure is a doll. He's gettin so big. :)
Thanks....he is 53 pounds this morning....being very sweet today....at least for the moment!

BTW....how is your baby girl?

Carol

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I love the long bat ears! Breathe-Rite strips (the real deal not the CVS generic) might be what you need at the tips. Love the huge puppy paws!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I would continue to post, but that's just what I did with *******. You will probably find that if you don't repost that they will eventually start to lean after a couple of days. If they are really strong you could just use the breath-rite strips on the tips and skin bond. He is getting big!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Thanks....he is 53 pounds this morning....being very sweet today....at least for the moment!

BTW....how is your baby girl?

Carol
She is doing well. She has adjusted really well to not having the toe. She is running and jumping and back to her dobe self :) We have been walking about a mile or so everyday - which is good for both of us! No limping :) She goes April 18th for chest x-rays & if those are clear she starts her series of melanoma vaccines. Unfortunately, the Univeristy of Wisconsin couldn't get the vaccines to us any sooner. They just can't make it fast enough - which means the demand is high. She eating the innova evo and has done well with that. She is also only getting the innova evo treats. So hopefully it will all go well. I will keep you posted though. Thanks for asking.

Petey's ears are great they give him character :) He is a handsome little devil!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
[

Thanks for your help.

Carol
I'm gonna be honest...I don't think the length of the ear is the issue here. That is just an awful, awful crop. Nothing was done to clean up the area on the side of the dog's face at the bottom of the ear. That piece that sticks out past the line of the dog's muzzle should have been removed; it should be one clean line. There's no shape to that crop whatsoever, way too much ear was left.

Puppies usually grow into the length of a long crop, but the problems here aren't something that growth is going to improve. :emo11:

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Thanks to BackinBlack....I can see that Petey will grow into his ears...she told me to go on my breeders website and look at the pictures, this is Petey's dad at 4 months old. I just need to know how to use the Breathe Right Strips and Skin Bond. Thanks.

This is him this past weekend.

Carol

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I would still post. At this point you don't want to take a chance on anything that might set back his progress and wipe out the hard work you've done.

He IS a cutey!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree with Chaz, if you can post I would. It cant hurt and that way the ears wont have time to backpedal lol.

And he is a very pretty boy! XD!

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts

Here is Petey this morning after having his ear posts off for 24 hours. Just the tips are bending into each other. He is 20 weeks old today and only has about 8 adult teeth. Should we just be taping the tops or continue to post the entire ear until all his teeth are in?

Thanks for your help.

Carol
You need to keep posting and make sure that the post you use is long enought for the tips - there should be NO ear showing over the top of your post. I personally think he is too young to be using breathe right strips - I would not do that till he is done teething.

I do agree with MurreyDobe that the crop is NOT a good crop. BIB had her boys crop redone because it was so bad....... IMHO your boys crop is not as bad, but if it were my dog, I'd have a good cropping vet look at it and give an opinion about if it should be re-done. He will grow into it some I'm sure, but I don't ever see it being a pretty crop. JMHO.

Sophia Koster in central NJ is one of the best cropping vets in the mid atlantic and North east - it really might be worth your while to contact her for a consult.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the answers....I will re-post tonight and wait another month to use the Breathe Right strips. I feel really sad that his crop is so bad.....I had no idea. I won't have them re~done, I can't see putting him through that just for looks, I won't be showing him, I just don't have the time for that with 4 teenage sons. My last 3 dogs were all rescues and each had it's own issues, one was obese due to medication, people always had comments about him, but he was still beautiful to me...so I guess having funny looking ears won't be too bad, I love Petey already. I would have rather had him natural, but didn't get him until he was 10 weeks.

I will need help with how to do the Breathe Right and skin bond when the time comes....could you guys let me know how I do it?

Thanks again,
Carol

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
with that much flesh at the top of the ear i really think you will have a hard time getting the tips to stand much more than they do already.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
BIB had her boys crop redone because it was so bad....... IMHO your boys crop is not as bad, but if it were my dog, I'd have a good cropping vet look at it and give an opinion about if it should be re-done. He will grow into it some I'm sure, but I don't ever see it being a pretty crop. JMHO.
How did Rommel get brought into this thread again???? I simply suggested that she go and look at the young pictures of her dogs father. He looks to have the same crop, so that will give her an idea of what his ears will look like when he is full grown. Growing into them, and being a pretty crop are not the same thing I wouldnt think.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
How did Rommel get brought into this thread again???? I simply suggested that she go and look at the young pictures of her dogs father. He looks to have the same crop, so that will give her an idea of what his ears will look like when he is full grown. Growing into them, and being a pretty crop are not the same thing I wouldnt think.
Well..I didn't bring Rommel into it, but I can see why he was. Since the problems with his original ear crop were discussed at length on this board, I don't see why the subject can't be referenced now. He's a good example of the same problem-people think the ears look funny because they're so long, and that's really the least of the problems. You found out yourself, there was no way Rommel was going to "grow into" that crop, and did something about it.

Deciding to re-crop is a personal decision. If I brought a puppy home from being cropped and found that was what was done to their ears, I'd do one of two things: I'd either take them immediately to someone who KNEW how to do a good crop and get them re-cropped while the puppy was still small, or I'd let them hang..to me, anything would be better than that, even drop ears. I doubt I'd put an older puppy through re-cropping. But re-cropping worked out well for you. It's an option that should be considered with crops this bad.

And no, while I don't love the sire's crop, I think it's a far better crop than Petey's. It looks to be cleaned up a bit better at the bottom of the ear, and there's definitely more shape to the ear itself.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Exactly for the reason MurreyDobe already stated. Rommels original crop was truly bad and you took the advice to go to a good cropping vet to see what could be done - the end result was loads better. I think you should share your experience with this puppys owner.

For the owner, I understand if you don't want to have them re-done, and you will love him irregardless. The ears do not make the dog. They will probably look better as he gets older - most people truly will not ever notice that they are not a great crop. I've seen much much worse. You might want to complain to the breeder so that they might do a better job in the future. Even Kimbertal has a 1/2 way decent cropper do their dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok....again....how do I use the Breathe Right strips and Skin Bond? I bought both today.

I posted him again....and will continue until he is done teething. I hope that his head gets big enough to hide his HUGE EARS, but if it doesn't that's ok too. I can't let them flop, only because they no longer do that, they curl inward now, but just the tips, the rest of the ear is very hard.

Carol

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Clean his ears really well to get off any oil, wax, gunk, dirt....you know..all doberman puppy fun stuff. Then just apply a little skin-bond to the back of the breathe right strip, give it a few seconds to get "gummy" so that it doesn't slide down on the ear as soon as you apply it. Then just stick it on his ear (from the tip down) Hold it in place for a few seconds to be sure it adheres well. Repeat. Your done :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts