Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just wondering about ears..my vet said 12 weeks is the right time to crop but i've read online that you should do them at 9..i'm unsure since this is my first time with ears being cropped..when is a good time to have it done? or is there a time limit?
can adult dobermans have there ears done aswell?
just want to make sure i have the facts straight on the ears..
i'm trying to find out as much as i can about the correct way of taping the ears up so they wont stand wrong or slump or anything like that..
thanks everyone :) oOFireOo

I'm not sure if i'm posting in the right area so correct me if i post this in the wrong section...

·
Registered
986 Posts
oOFireOo, vets here will not crop PAST 12 weeks. Between 9-12 wks. is pretty standard. Make sure the vet you choose is very experienced in cropping dobie ears (not just other breeds). I recall a thread where this was discussed at length some time ago...perhaps using the "search" function will guide you to it. I'll look as well. Adult dogs are NOT cropped, at least by anyone competent. They on occasion are "re-cropped", but this is corrective surgery and you want to avoid it if possible. As for the taping, you definitely should learn how to do it BUT your vet should include at least some follow-up care (postings). When you decide on a vet for cropping, ask if the price includes postings and for how long. My vet and the vets of many other members here will re-tape weekly for free for as long as you want to bring the dog back. That could be anywhere between 6 weeks-1 year. Some vets will require you to pay per visit each time, which is a good reason to watch, read and learn how to do it (properly) yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The vet I took all of mine to has 35+ years experience. He won't crop now until they are 12 weeks. Roxy and Alex had their ears done at 12 weeks exactly and Suzy had hers done at 15 weeks, outcome excellent on all. I imagine it depends on which vet you go to and what age they recommend as some are cropping at 8 weeks. Retaping is done by the vet every week and unless you are experienced at taping I'd leave that to the vet it is worth the extra few dollars if you have to pay for it. The price of cropping used to include the aftercare but this last time for Suzy we had to pay $10 each week for retaping. Adult dogs are not recommended to have their ears done its just not successful. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You can crop a Dobe puppy as young as 8 weeks old. 8 weeks is a good time to crop and is done by many great breeders. 12 weeks is an upper end.
You *could* crop an adult, but it is more painful and recovery times are longer and they aren't likely to stand. Natural ears are much better than cropping an adult.

If you are not experienced with posting, let the vet show you how, or pay for their aftercare, or find an experienced Doberman or Boxer person to help you with your first few times posting. The aftercare on your part is important and can either make or break your dog's crop.

Reputable breeders crop their puppies before placement so the buyer's don't have to go thru what you are going thru and also so that the Dobermans they produce will have wonderful Doberman crops.

Many so called croppers do not do a good crop on Dobes, so you will want to see examples of their work on DOBERMANS. Not Pits, Boxers, Great Danes, etc. but the breed you are having cropped.

Good cropping is an art form, and not something just everyone can do the right way so it is important you do your homework.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone..I'm not sure how long the vet has been cropping ears..But I'll give them a ring and have a talk with them about it..I'll def ask for examples from the vet and I'll search more on ear cropping..
I would prob do the follow up care since I'm new to this..would be easier and less stressful..Thanks Everyone..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah I agree here. Most Vets dont want to crop after 12weeks of age. It is recommended they are cropped before the ears start to harden up.

Good Luck on your Search!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
You can crop a Dobe puppy as young as 8 weeks old. 8 weeks is a good time to crop and is done by many great breeders. 12 weeks is an upper end.
The overwhelming maority of the breeders I know crop their litters sometime between 7-9 weeks.

My personal experience has been the earlier, the better. There's a big difference in the thickness of the ear cartilege between an 8 week and a 12 week old puppy. That affects the discomfort level for the puppy and overall healing time. Also, the sooner you can get ears healed and up in posts, the better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts