Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this picture you will see my pups left ear standing. It's for short times but it does this when she's listening to something. The rest of the time she's listening the ear doesn't stand like in this picture but it does want to stand and curves upward to the top of her head. I'll upload another one soon. Does this mean she has some strong cartilage? She's only 10 weeks tomorrow. The other ear does exactly what it's doing in the 1st pic, it wants to stand but it doesn't stand like the left ear. Thanx

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
She is toooooo cute! I guess if she isn't cropped.....and you want to do it...she may have some good cartilage, and if the crop is short....you may have to post less then I am with Petey's super long show cut.

Carol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Natural

I am planning on cropping her ears at the end of this month and I am doing a medium crop. Not the longer show cut and not the short cut. I like the happy medium so I'm guessing around a 6 month post time. I've had 5 Dobes and none of them had their ears do this before they were cropped. This is the first time I've seen this. I don't know if this is common or not for an uncropped pup so that's why I thought I'd ask.

Thank you for the compliment. She is an amazing puppy and already has down sit and kennel pretty well as I have been working with her a little bit. Thanx again for the help.:anicam:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Naw, they aren't cropped yet, you can tell by how rounded they are. He did mention that he is going to have her cropped though.

Edited to add : Guero, we posted at the same time :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry but the way I am looking at the pic I can not tell...are her ears cropped?
No they aren't. They are natural right now but she walks around with them up like that alot. She gets them done in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naw, they aren't cropped yet, you can tell by how rounded they are. He did mention that he is going to have her cropped though.

Edited to add : Guero, we posted at the same time nearly :)
I saw that we did. how funny. Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Oh wow, I think posting is going to be quick for you, at least on one side, lol. How cute she is.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
There was a fellow on another board that had a puppy resembling that prior to cropping and he had an awful time. I would not assume it will go well as it is probably forming a pocket or a bad fold already.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Crop

Well I called my vet and told her and she told me that we needed to schedule her now for the crop. So we go in next Monday to get them done. I am worried now but I'll ask them what they think when we get there. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd do it ASAP before that cartilage breaks. Maggie's ears stood completely after the first posting (very long show cut), BUT I posted till 6 months even though I thought they'd be ok. Don't get over-confident with the ear strength. Better to be safe than have them fail after all that work and $.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Wow that is too cute.. only seen a couple of puppies who would do that.. I know when I had my guys all done a Medium crop.. it took 5 weeks to get them to stand.. good luck..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cropped

I'm pretty excited, and worried though about getting them done. However when I spoke to the vets office and they told me that the Dr. also has, and shows Dobes so I should be in good hands. This is my 5th Dobe and none before her have done this. I mean that one ear looks like it's really standing up much of the time. I hope it comes out ok but I'm sure it will. Thanx again, she is such a sweetheart it feels good to have a puppy.

I tell you life today is so much busier that it was when I raised my other Dobes & Sheperds that she provides good stress relief throughout the day. :peace:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news

So I went to the vet yesterday and what luck I have to have one of the Dr.s who will be doing the ears that shows Dobes! She told me that we needed to do the ears now and that since she is so young that we shouldn't have too much of a problem getting the ears to stand. Especially since we are not doing a longer show cut.

She said that it may take up to 6 months to complete the posting process but that's not a big deal to me. I'm ready to do whatever needs to be done. The Dr. said that she believes they see probably the most Dobes at that clinic so they have pretty extensive experience with working with Dobes. I feel we are in good hands. Monday is the surgery so I'll have some pics as soon as she gets home. Wish us luck and thanx for all the kindness, good wishes, and help. Have a great weekend! :beer:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Good Luck with your crop.

The best advice I can give you is what was given to me... "Be patient. And try not to worry your self to death. You have a LONG road ahead of you." ~Sooz

Two weeks of post crop care and then taping. Our puppies were cropped Very Late ( at 15 weeks ) and thier ears are still being taped now at 5 months.

I can give you a few tips, I had to learn the hard way. I would NOT clean the stiches. Just let them stay as dry and free from debri as possible. I cleaned mine and after getting them wet all HELL broke lose. They had infections and healing took twice as long. It looks aweful but I would just leave it be.

Also don't stress about them scratching thier ears. I was so worried that they would tear out the stitches and all that. So I keep a Elizabethen collar on them. You know as soon as I took it off, they tried to sratch and did'nt. They KNEW it would hurt to do that. They always would very lightly rub on the floor or you of whatever though.

My Taping Nightmare...I ran out of Jonas tape and used some vet wrap. AFTER hearing people say it was a no-no. Yup, I had thankfully only did one pups ears and noticed two hours later that her tips were swollen and blue. Her ears were standing on thier own at this point. I took off the vet wrap and the ears went flat! (The swollen tips were too heavy) I freaked! So only use jonas tape by Jonhson & Jonhson. It is just sticky enough to work without pulling all the hair off. The Uni-Solve is Great stuff too!

Again Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
No they aren't. They are natural right now but she walks around with them up like that alot. She gets them done in 2-3 weeks.
Hi Albert,

Why are you waiting for so long to have her cropped--she'll be 12 or 13 weeks by then. Most croppers prefer to crop at 8-10 weeks--not that successful crops haven't been done later but you can run into some problems with the later crop.

The reason the ear stands like that is because she has a pocket--actually she has them on both sides and the other ear is what the terrier people that have breeds whose ears are supposed to tip like that (Smooth and Wire Fox Terriers for instant) spend months trying to train an ear to do.

When she's cropped you'll have to make sure that she is posted with extra care so that you effectively "iron" out the pockets or her ears will tip over the top of her head. The older the puppy is the harder it will be to do that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts