Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Any advice on how to keep my boy from getting his ear posts out?

Somehow or another he gets the bottom to pop out from the ear canal.

I have SkinBond but haven't used it. Should I try to see it that helps?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you should ever so slightly pull on the ear tissue when you tape it. Not only should it help to keep the post in, it should also stimulate the ear tissue (and cartilage) to stay upright.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
fletcher99 said:
Hello everyone.

Any advice on how to keep my boy from getting his ear posts out?

Somehow or another he gets the bottom to pop out from the ear canal.

I have SkinBond but haven't used it. Should I try to see it that helps?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I'd make sure I was posting the ears correctly before I started gluing those posts in..you could create pockets if you don't have the posts seated right.
And if the posts are seated correctly, along with the tape being put on with the right tension, the dog shouldn't be able to dislodge anything easily.

Could be the posts are too big for the ear canal, could be you're not pulling the ear all the way up onto the posts..it's hard to say what the problem is without being able to see the ears.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I also found when you first start putting the post in the ear you don't want to put it in very far. After a few tapings you realize that after all that work you just were not going deep enough...if that makes any sense. Be gentle but put your post down far enough and start your taping low on the post.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same problem. Tape lower on the base of the ear. Maggie never kept hers in for more than 3 days - she roughhoused too much.
Also, if the tampons are too small, they will get soft from ear funk and bend or pop out on a larger puppy. Try a larger size if they are curving/bending.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I use to wrap a single layer of tape around the bottom of the post with the adhesive side out. This allowed me to place the post and get it to stay in place while I gently pulled up on the ear for taping.

Ditto on the three days max for keeping a post in. One of Lena's tricks was hooking her ears through the openings of her crate and messing her posts up. Taping her ears was almost a daily occurrence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts