Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
As I received a lot of great tips on posting ears I’m back with more questions again.

So I’m using Zephyrs method fully with vet wrap (super loose) and everything. A week ago i noticed that one ear has formed a pocket,

so i added the extra foam to push it out, and i think it’s working. I repost them every 3-4-5 days because of the weather in TX, I’m scared that because of humidity he might develop an ear infection or some discomfort, so i try to keep an eye on everything. Today when i took the wrapping off i saw a liquidy goo on the side of his ear under the lowest tape (closest to his head) on the OUTSIDE of the ear. Nothing inside, just regular discharge after i think 5 days this time. I cleaned with peroxide and letting the ears breathe. I’m confused what this is and why because there is nothing on the ear, it’s a tiny bit red but no scabs or visible wounds. I will take him to the vet tonight to check it out because I’m no professional in any way. But if anyone has any guesses please let me know

the other thing is that one of his ears is much wider and sitting lower than the other one. It was cropped wider because the base of his ear was bigger or at least that’s what the doctor said when i brought it up to her. She said lets see how it looks when it’s standing and we will go from there implying that we can cut it more if I’m not satisfied with how it looks, which I won’t be doing just because i do not want him to go through that again plus putting puppy under anesthesia second time just so it looks better to me is not something I’m comfortable with. So my question is when i tape his ears, i can basically wrap his whole ear around the post and i do not know if that’s a correct way to do it, does it affect his ears standing? Also, his ears don’t stand straight on his head, they are more off of the side of his head, is that just uniqueness of each puppy or I’m posting it wrong?

and the last question should i use anything to get the sticky residue off of his ears when reposting? He loses a lot of hair when i remove the tape, if i need to use something please let me know what and what do i wash it off with after so they dry out fine without oily residue..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Alisa, he sure is a handsome boy! And i think the ears overall look pretty good.
I can't speak to the goo, maybe the vet wrap is getting too tight and rubbing. I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you.
Some recent pics of his ears posted might be helpful in diagnosing the pocket, and maybe the goo.
on the short ear, are you pushing the post in all the way with a good stretch on the ear before taping?
As for the fur coming off and the residue, I highly recommend Uni-solve. you can find it on Amazon.
It's a medical grade adhesive remover. it allows the tape to come off easily and usually leaves almost no tape residue.
Are you powdering the outside of the ears before taping?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Alisa, he sure is a handsome boy! And i think the ears overall look pretty good.
I can't speak to the goo, maybe the vet wrap is getting too tight and rubbing. I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you.
Some recent pics of his ears posted might be helpful in diagnosing the pocket, and maybe the goo.
on the short ear, are you pushing the post in all the way with a good stretch on the ear before taping?
As for the fur coming off and the residue, I highly recommend Uni-solve. you can find it on Amazon.
It's a medical grade adhesive remover. it allows the tape to come off easily and usually leaves almost no tape residue.
Are you powdering the outside of the ears before taping?
Hi! Thank you! I will definitely order the unisolve and i am not powdering outside of the ears, what should i powder it with? And I am stretching both ears when posting them. As for the goo i already made an appointment to go to the clinic have it checked out!
Ok so i just took a couple of pictures that might be more understandable

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alisa.
Crowley is so cute! Personally I think his ears look great. You are doing a very nice job.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Really? Do you see the pockets on his ears? Am I crazy? Lol
I feel like i live on this website and searching all the time and think I’m doing everything wrong..

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Hi Alisa , I agree with John - I think his ears look very good . I personally have never used Vet Wrap - I have used a tape from J & J - And as ND replied - Unisolve works very good - I also got mine from Amazon . After I use the Unisolve - I then wipe that off some with a ear cleaner wipe . Last fall when I was posting LG - I was doing the same thing with her posting - changing every 3 or 4 days , We live in Indiana and the humidity was off the scale . As the goo on the outside of the ear - could it be wax ? Girl was very , very waxy .

To me - what you are thinking is a pocket - is just the natural look of the ear meeting at the base of his head .

Lots of Pro Ear Posters on here , sure they will jump in when ever they decide to get out of bed - LOL

Nice looking boy you have !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Alisa , I agree with John - I think his ears look very good . I personally have never used Vet Wrap - I have used a tape from J & J - And as ND replied - Unisolve works very good - I also got mine from Amazon . After I use the Unisolve - I then wipe that off some with a ear cleaner wipe . Last fall when I was posting LG - I was doing the same thing with her posting - changing every 3 or 4 days , We live in Indiana and the humidity was off the scale . As the goo on the outside of the ear - could it be wax ? Girl was very , very waxy .

To me - what you are thinking is a pocket - is just the natural look of the ear meeting at the base of his head .

Lots of Pro Ear Posters on here , sure they will jump in when ever they decide to get out of bed - LOL

Nice looking boy you have !
Hi! Thank you!
I’m not sure of anything at this point lol
When he is relaxed and I’m not trying to het his attention to take a picture it looks to me that both ears lean in the same way, the one that has pocket leaning inwards and the other out, so I will use bumpers now and probably ditch the vet wrap because of how hot it already gets here in TX..
As for the goo, the vet (i went to 24 hour clinic, where we had the doctor crop him as it is the only one in the radius of 400 miles) said that the zonas tape can trap the moisture sometimes so it’s a little irritated and we are keeping them not taped for next 3 days, i will take the picture tomorrow and post it (the ear that has pocket will flop inwards more tomorrow i assume) plus we got some medicine for stomach because he ate a stick of course lol
So we are on the plain diet and ointment for ears for couple days
Aaand i already ordered the powder and unisolve so hopefully we won’t lose anymore hair!

·
ZuriBug
201 Posts
The Unisolve should be all you need to keep from pulling his hair out when you remove the tape. Saturate the tape good before removing it then when the tape is off, wash his ears to get any of the unisolve off. I just used baby wipes for that. I wouldn't use any powder on the outside of his ear because the tape won't stick when you repost. I did however use some on the Inside of the ears to prevent infection.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
As a Doberman newbie whose boy’s ears are almost done, here is what I learned from this forum and a Doberman breeder who was kind enough to teach me hands-on.
  1. I removed as much of the tape as I could without pulling off any hair and then
  2. I used the Unisolve (it is amazing) to breakdown the adhesive. I had to play with application tools (cotton ball, cotton pad, qTip, old wash cloth) to find which was most effective (It was the cotton pad followed with the washcloth)
  3. Then I used a cotton ball with alcohol to wipe down the ears to remove any residue left from the Unisolve.
  4. After that, I powdered each ear lightly with Caldesene Medicated Protecting Powder. This helped with any minor issues and gave a nice clean base to repost. I dusted the inside and outside of the ear lightly and made sure to pat the excess off the outside of the ear. It did not prevent the Zonas from sticking.
I think you are doing a great job and his ears look good. I love how clean his ear edges are!! Such a sweet face on your boy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Unisolve should be all you need to keep from pulling his hair out when you remove the tape. Saturate the tape good before removing it then when the tape is off, wash his ears to get any of the unisolve off. I just used baby wipes for that. I wouldn't use any powder on the outside of his ear because the tape won't stick when you repost. I did however use some on the Inside of the ears to prevent infection.
Hi! Thank you for clear instructions, i will do that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a Doberman newbie whose boy’s ears are almost done, here is what I learned from this forum and a Doberman breeder who was kind enough to teach me hands-on.
  1. I removed as much of the tape as I could without pulling off any hair and then
  2. I used the Unisolve (it is amazing) to breakdown the adhesive. I had to play with application tools (cotton ball, cotton pad, qTip, old wash cloth) to find which was most effective (It was the cotton pad followed with the washcloth)
  3. Then I used a cotton ball with alcohol to wipe down the ears to remove any residue left from the Unisolve.
  4. After that, I powdered each ear lightly with Caldesene Medicated Protecting Powder. This helped with any minor issues and gave a nice clean base to repost. I dusted the inside and outside of the ear lightly and made sure to pat the excess off the outside of the ear. It did not prevent the Zonas from sticking.
I think you are doing a great job and his ears look good. I love how clean his ear edges are!! Such a sweet face on your boy!
Hi! Thank you so much! I will try all the methods mentioned above to see what works best for him, he’s not very good at staying still, so we use the spray treat on the toy to keep him in place while i post them
Today is the day number 2 with ears down because of the irritation, and they start to flop when relaxed but staying up when he’s active

I’m not even sure how does this happen lol but we have a long way to go

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi guys,
As I received a lot of great tips on posting ears I’m back with more questions again.

So I’m using Zephyrs method fully with vet wrap (super loose) and everything. A week ago i noticed that one ear has formed a pocket,
View attachment 138201
View attachment 138202

so i added the extra foam to push it out, and i think it’s working. I repost them every 3-4-5 days because of the weather in TX, I’m scared that because of humidity he might develop an ear infection or some discomfort, so i try to keep an eye on everything. Today when i took the wrapping off i saw a liquidy goo on the side of his ear under the lowest tape (closest to his head) on the OUTSIDE of the ear. Nothing inside, just regular discharge after i think 5 days this time. I cleaned with peroxide and letting the ears breathe. I’m confused what this is and why because there is nothing on the ear, it’s a tiny bit red but no scabs or visible wounds. I will take him to the vet tonight to check it out because I’m no professional in any way. But if anyone has any guesses please let me know

the other thing is that one of his ears is much wider and sitting lower than the other one. It was cropped wider because the base of his ear was bigger or at least that’s what the doctor said when i brought it up to her. She said lets see how it looks when it’s standing and we will go from there implying that we can cut it more if I’m not satisfied with how it looks, which I won’t be doing just because i do not want him to go through that again plus putting puppy under anesthesia second time just so it looks better to me is not something I’m comfortable with. So my question is when i tape his ears, i can basically wrap his whole ear around the post and i do not know if that’s a correct way to do it, does it affect his ears standing? Also, his ears don’t stand straight on his head, they are more off of the side of his head, is that just uniqueness of each puppy or I’m posting it wrong?
View attachment 138203

and the last question should i use anything to get the sticky residue off of his ears when reposting? He loses a lot of hair when i remove the tape, if i need to use something please let me know what and what do i wash it off with after so they dry out fine without oily residue..
peroxide destroys healing tissue. Use instead colloidal silver and let air dry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I followed this video to the letter and worked wonderfully for my pup AND was easy for me. Important to let ears dry after taking off tape and before reposting. I even went 24 hrs just to let canals air out. And as pup grew and so did ear canals, I had to use the next size backer rods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I followed this video to the letter and worked wonderfully for my pup AND was easy for me. Important to let ears dry after taking off tape and before reposting. I even went 24 hrs just to let canals air out. And as pup grew and so did ear canals, I had to use the next size backer rods.
Thank you! I will check this out

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts