Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ECHS Marching Indians
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of Brutus ears taped up because the other one stands well on its own. But the thing is, with the ear that is taped up now, if you tape it up for about 2 hours in the morning then it will stand all day and until i go to bed around 12am. Then when i wake up the next morning or about 9 hours later and it has flopped over.Is this a result of poor circulation maybe?

·
Alpha Male
43 Posts
Im not sure i understand the question but When you get the ears surgically cropped at 12 weeks of age you should keep the bandages on 24/7 for a month.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No, this is the result of poor taping methods. You've got the whole thing backwards. Ears are taped for several days continuously and then taken down for an hr or so, not the other way around. If you change this one thing, you will see much improvement.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
No, this is the result of poor taping methods. You've got the whole thing backwards. Ears are taped for several days continuously and then taken down for an hr or so, not the other way around. If you change this one thing, you will see much improvement.
^^ This.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Each time you let it fully flop you add a lot more time to taping. The KEY to getting ears done quickly is to NEVER NEVER let them flop.

·
ECHS Marching Indians
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

About the 2 hour taping thing. I had taped his ears up early one morning and he got the tape off in about 2 hours. And my dad couldn't get more tape to me till he got off of work at midnight. But the ears stood up all day and i just taped them with new tape the next morning.

·
ECHS Marching Indians
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not sure i understand the question but When you get the ears surgically cropped at 12 weeks of age you should keep the bandages on 24/7 for a month.

Ok. Just making sure. And his ears were posted for a month and a half or so 24/7 after they were cropped. They were untapped once a week for about an hour to air out. Also found out that the less tape you use and the less heavy the tape is, the less he is able to mess with the tape or get it off. The vet insists on adding an extra pound of tape to his head. -_-

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just want to say that some dogs need to have their ears posted for up to a year or maybe even more, not just a month after surgery. At the very least through the end of teething. Axel is 9 months old and I'm still posting his ears.

·
ECHS Marching Indians
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm willing to keep tapping as long as needed. Right now i am planning to keep tapping through about 8 1/2 months or more. And i would come to the meet on Saturday if i had my license (which will be next year). But thanks for the invite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts