Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old boy who has had his ears cut for 1 week and he's not leaving them alone. Vet says to let them heal for a week with no post and start posting after 7 days. I need opinions on this. I want his ears to stand up nice and straight but I'm afraid of letting them go for a week with no post if it will ruin the job or not????? Please help. All info is greatly appreciated.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My male had his ears cropped about a year ago. They flopped for a solid 2 weeks while the edges healed. He was a tad older than your pup when I had them cropped (rescue). They stand beautifully.

It is quite common to leave them floppy, taped over the head or taped to a cup. What's important is that the edges heal well. If they aren't healed within a week, don't post until they are.

Have his stitches been removed yet?

Reactions: LindaH and Cathy43

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have been in a week now. The vet says they're not quite ready yet. He wants to wait another week

·
Registered
29 Posts
When we got my pups ears done at 12 weeks our vet who had been doing this for 40+ years informed us to never let them down, what so ever. He put a cone like object on his head with the edges of his ears out so they could heal and after two weeks his ears healed and then they started to tape them. Good luck!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
They have been in a week now. The vet says they're not quite ready yet. He wants to wait another week
Sounds good. Don't post until the stitches come out and only then if the edges are fully healed. Taping before then increases a risk of infection.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
When we got my pups ears done at 12 weeks our vet who had been doing this for 40+ years informed us to never let them down, what so ever. He put a cone like object on his head with the edges of his ears out so they could heal and after two weeks his ears healed and then they started to tape them. Good luck!
My male was cropped by a vet with similar years of experience (and she's a former Dobe breeder-Dr Crouch). She prefers taping the uncut edges to the top of the head or letting them flop. His ears stand beautifully.

My female had her ears taped to a cup. I think that I prefer this method but my pup also has a much longer crop than my male.

It is common for either method to be used.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
939 Posts
My girls ears were flopped down for 3 weeks after her initial crop surgery at 9 weeks- done by a very reputable cropping vet/doberman breeder. The first week the top half of the stitches came out, then the bottom half the second week, and one extra week of healing to make sure everything looked nice.. then onto posting. Shes 15 weeks now and her ears stand wonderfully in between postings :)

Reactions: Cathy43

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help..... Theyre healing fast so well see what happens ill post pics after i get the stitches out and get them posted....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts