Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question concerning ear posting on a 12 week old doberman :D

Echo had his ears cropped at 9 weeks old, and from what I can tell, the doctor did a fairly good job! However, his after care seems terrible!

After 1 week of having his ears posted up with the cup in the middle, Echo's ears were already standing almost completely upright. The vet looked at them and decided to start posting them saying, "They look great, we'll move onto the next stage".
He then posted them and told me to return in 10 days. After 4 days the Elizabethan collar that Echo has to wear had pushed the ears parallel to the head instead of them being perpendicular. I went back and he re-posted them and said they should be fine.
Again, the same thing happened and I took Echo back to the vet (after 3 days of the ears being posted), he re-posted them and also gave me a larger collar. I asked about the ears being continually parallel to the head and he said, "It's fine, we just want them to be partly up, we will put mole skin on them and that will get them standing completely". I assumed that the doctor knew best and left. On the way home I stopped and examined the taping job and it was terrible. There were loose ends already coming un-taped and it looked as if he just threw the posting on as quickly as possible.
8 days have passed and Echo's ears are again parallel. When I take off his Elizabethan collar for a few hours a day, his ears lay/stand parallel. I feel like all the progress that was made within the first week of having his ears cropped is lost. I'm worried that this parallel standing/laying will be permanent?
What should I do? I am at wits end?!

As always, thanks for all your help in advance! :thanx:

P.S. Is it unusual that the vet takes Echo into another room to tape his ears, so that I have never seen it done before? It's almost as if it is a secret! :confused:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dont worry, still plenty of time to do this :D

Personally I were you, I would tell the vet to stuff it !

There are a few good ways to post. I did the tampon method as it worked well for me. Go to the store, buy regular cardboard applicator tampons.. ( various tapes work but.. ) Buy Johnson and johnson sports tape ( easily tears ). Take the tampons out of the plastic or paper wrapper...now wrap the tampon with the sports tape so the sticky side is facing outwards, from top to bottom or vise versa. ( leave the bottom cottony part undone)
tear a few strait strips of tape off and set aside so you can grab quickly. Now put the tampon down into the ear as far as you feel comfortable going and pull you pups ears up as tight as you can without hurting her. Now grab one of the strips and put around the ear/tampon ( not tight , dont want to cut off blood circulation ) now that should hold it in place long enough for you to get a couple more strips and secure her ear to the tampon. Becareful to NOT straighten out the fold in the middle'ish edge of the ear..that helps the ear stand.

Go on you tube and look up posting a dobermans ears, there are some great videos. Let me get you a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dls-nLDEQ4
or this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqg84Zp8QMs
or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TOOM_pdkjI

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,926 Posts
If your pup's ears are healed and he is not bothering with them, he really shouldn't need an e-collar at all. I don't like much of what you are describing about your vet's process of posting--the e-collar, the length of time between postings, the sloppiness of his taping job--none of that sounds very good.

If you can post pictures of your pup from the front and from the side, we might be able to tell you whether you should find someone else to post his ears--or you could learn to do it yourself. It's not hard to do and will give you some flexibility to deal with little problems (like posts getting wet or coming out of the ear at the bottom) immediately instead of waiting for the vet to be available.

We have a list of folks around the country who are willing to help folks who are having probrlems posting:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ll-help-new-owners-ears-please-post-here.html

If you tell us where you are, we might be able to point you to someone who could help you in person.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I agree with others...you should learn to do them yourself. He shouldn't need an elizabethan collar if his ears are healed (mine never wore one at all). Also, know that a lot of puppies' ears get floppy during teething, so even if they seemed to stand up they can flop and seem like they went backward. In reality you just have to keep up the posting process until the teething is done around 6 months and evaluate then.

If you post pics on here there are a lot of people who can help guide you, and also check the list Melbrod posted to see if there is anyone in your area who could give you an in-person lesson or two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you everyone so much for the responses! Sorry I haven't been able to respond until now, I have been very busy working with Echo and learning how (through the many videos and tutorials) to post his ears. That being said, I think I am failing miserably :( The ears, which I have since determined look terrible, are standing more angled outwards and down than straight up?!

The moleskin which the vet put in his ears is falling out and is doing absolutely nothing productive. The vet assured me that Echo's ears were ready to stand with no posting (boy, was he wrong!). Sadly, this vet seems more inexperienced and unknowing as time progresses!

I am confused and lost!

As always, thanks for the input!

P.S. I will post as many pictures as possible tomorrow morning!

·
Shark Wrangler
1,089 Posts
If you can get pictures up of how you're posting that would help immensely. Has the dog only ever had moleskin in the ears, or have you actually posted them? They need to be posted properly, and consistently, and can take many months (upwards of a year in some dogs) to get them to stand. The moleskin was something I only used at the very end when my boys ears were standing, just to make sure that that the tips were indeed strong enough, but it's not a replacement for posting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having problems with my 14 week old pups ears. I'm new to this site, so just learning. our vet in tampa, Florida has been posting them and when he untapped them the last two times his left ear is leaning towards his head. The vet keeps saying, leave them un tapped for a few days and see what happens but I'm too afraid it will stay like that. Not sure if he is tapping it incorrectly or what is wrong with Kobe's ear but I'm extremely worried... Please help!!!!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1370625830.843560.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Shark Wrangler
1,089 Posts
I am also having problems with my 14 week old pups ears. I'm new to this site, so just learning. our vet in tampa, Florida has been posting them and when he untapped them the last two times his left ear is leaning towards his head. The vet keeps saying, leave them un tapped for a few days and see what happens but I'm too afraid it will stay like that. Not sure if he is tapping it incorrectly or what is wrong with Kobe's ear but I'm extremely worried... Please help!!!!

View attachment 37202

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Do not leave them untaped, they have pockets (the one leaning over the head especially). You need to get them posted with bumpers, and be consistent with posting to be able to fix them. I suggest learning how to post yourself, it really isn't that hard, and if your vet is suggesting to to leave those ears untaped and "see what happens" I'm somewhat concerned that your vet isn't very skilled with posting.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cro...ting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

That tutorial will teach you how to post properly, and I believe it shows you how to use bumpers when posting also (which is what you need to do to correct those ears).

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
post *both* ears.

Reactions: Shell81
1 - 16 of 16 Posts