Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok where do i start? a family member-in-law just got a new Boxer puppy and when my husband and I went to visit them the other day we got on the topic of cropped ears and different posting methods. She told me of one method that i think is just plain lazy and not to mention cruel. The method she talk about was simply superglueing the tips of the dogs ears together. OMG please tell me that this is not a common method and that my feelings are not simply because I am so naive on the subject. i think it would be painful enough for the puppy if they happen to rip the tape off of their ears, I cant imagine how it would be if the happen to rip their ears "apart".

reassurance for the new and naive please.

thank you.
:mad:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are meaning. To glue the ear tips together instead of posting? That wouldn't work. They have to be posted straight to get the ears to stand. I've seen the ears folded like that right after cropping to allow the edges to heal, but not for training them to stand. They would be adhered to a cup or something too. I DO use skin glue when I post my dog's ears, but it's actually easier on him than using plain tape. I use very little tape now, and since I use an adhesive remover when changing the posts, he loses no hair and the skin is not at all irritated. A small amount of glue is applied to the post and the inner part of his ear. The post is secured and it stays for about a week. When the glue starts to wear off, I clean the ears and start over.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Olivia is right, that method wouldn't actually help the ears stand. And yes, super glue would be VERY cruel. DT has a ear posting guide thread that is pretty good. I'm sure it could be used for a boxer. Why not print it out and give it to your family member?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well from what I understood the cropp she was talking about was for a military/short drop and yes she told me that the only thing you had to do was simply get any kind of the real Super Glue! I understand the use of Skin Glue i believe that it is not quite as "harsh?" as Super Glue. she also told me that yes the dog will loss hair but that only happen when the dog breaks the seal and then when that happens is when you re-glue. I asked if you would change it every week or how often it would need to be checked/cleaned if need be. she told me only when the bond breaks the longer it last the better you did. I could barely finish a conversation with her after this because i was so shocked by what she told me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not print it out and give it to your family member?
I just might do that along with a piece of my mind... just FYI she also has Minature Schnauzers which are related to ours. hers are cropped and ours are natural however our males ears stood on there own. hopefully i can get some pics up of our "kids" so you may see them.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Super Glue held an awful lot of soldiers together in Viet nam until they could get appropriate surgical care. It is less safe than the surgical glues on the market now which were developed from it, but it is still used sometimes in an emergency.

I have seen Sheltie breeders, Collie breeders, GSD breeders and I-forget-what-others use Super Glue on ears...

If the Boxer has a short crop and if he is gifted with exactly the right ear leather/cartilege, it is possible that a week or two of glued-over-the-head will result in properly erect ears. If he doesn't, they will need to fall back on Plan B to have aesthetically pleasing ears.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
mmctaq is right. But I don't see how this would help a dogs ears stand at all. Even if they were short they would not stand correctly, I would imagine it would cause all kinds of crazy pockets and folds. There is no support there.

On the topic of using super glue being cruel probably not. I imagine it wouldn't feel good to get hair ripped out if it came undone while it was still very adherent, but I have used super glue for boo-boos.

My husband got a split on his hand while working in an ER. The physician that was in the area told him it would need to be closed but that it would make more sense to just go to the corner store, get a fresh tube of superglue and superglue it rather than pay for a visit to the ER. It is basically the same thing that they use for sealing wounds. We have since kept fresh tubes of superglue in the house at all times and have even used it on Jordan's leg when he got it caught on something and tore open a good inch gash, probably about 1/4 inch deep. This was okayed by my vet, who also called in an antibiotic as prophylactic against infection just because it was in a hard to keep clean area. The area had to be cleaned and reglued every couple days honestly because the glue wore off on the exterior but the deeper area actually stayed closed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well honestly I did not know that superglue could be used that way.... um you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I keep super glue in my emergency kit and have used it to close a wound more than once, on me, my horse and dog! Works like a charm.... I have NO idea as a posting method but as mmctaq I know other breed fanciers use it for their breeds... When I sliced my hand open in a car accident the paramedic glued my hand shut so I didn't have to go to the ER, which in my town means you sit there for hours....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts