Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our baby boys ears cropped when he was just a few days over 9 weeks, the vet had wrapped them directly after the surgery (which is my fault for not realizing they shouldn't have been) and not even a week into them being wrapped I had noticed they were really smelly (not in a normal way). So I had taken the wraps off and realized that his ears were quite infected, one more than the other, took him to the vet and they prescribed him anitbiotics and it cleared up within 5-7 days completely.

At that point he was almost 11 weeks old (a week with wraps after surgery then a week without while healing). Even though the infection and the swelling was gone he still had a few scabs on the ends of his ears, which I was putting triple antibiotic ointment on at least twice a day. Waited a few more days, the left ear was completely healed, scabs and all, but the right ear still had a speck of scab on it so I figured it shouldn't hurt to wrap them. Well he was in his wraps for a couple days and they had started to come off so I took them all the way off expecting to reposts but noticed his ears were starting to scab again on both ears, not a lot but a small spot on both ears near the tips.

The right ear looked as if it was starting to swell again, so I took him back to the vet and they put him on the same antibiotics just a bit stronger this time. He will be turning 13 weeks tomorrow and I was wondering if leaving his ears down to heal would affect the chances of them standing upright? His left ear is not completely standing on it's own but it doesn't have a fold either, his right ear however because of the swelling isn't doing too much of anything, it's not "folding" it's more "flopping" ..

Does anyone have any advice for me? This isn't my first dobe so I know a little about ear posting but it was a long time ago since we have had to do it so things are kind of blurry. Please help!! :confused:

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
The ears must heal before any posting can be done. You still have time to post but only after the ears completely heal.

Where is your breeder and why aren't they helping you?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Let them heal completely before reposting. Better to let them flop while the heal, and then post, than have him in posts with constant re-infection.

Reactions: Adara and Miller824

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Sam&macksmom - thanks, I have read a lot about the fact that the ears need to be completely healed before being posted so hopefully after this does of antibiotics he will be good to go.. Well unfortunately for me I got him from an out of state breeder, and I have actually read that they weren't reputable breeders, after I got him. He is great though! Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let them heal completely before reposting. Better to let them flop while the heal, and then post, than have him in posts with constant re-infection.
That is true, thank you! I will let them heal completely this time (no scabs) and then post them :)

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
You might want to see if a DPCA breeder in your area could help you with the posting process - at least give a quick lesson. Posting should not give him more scabs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to see if a DPCA breeder in your area could help you with the posting process - at least give a quick lesson. Posting should not give him more scabs.
I think I might do that and to be honest I think it is my fault that they got some what infected again because I think I not knowing wrapped them too tight and I feel bad because his ears were looking so good until I re wrapped them. I think I am going to use backer rod this next time. He would get scabbed on the base of his ear where the tape was sitting and I think that might be from the bridge. I saw a step by step posting someone posted on DT that doesn't use a bridge and I think I am going to use that method after his ears heal. Thank you! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts