Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently got my first Doberman and I have had quite the time learning to post ears. After finally feeling like I got down the method, I noticed today that my puppy, Puck, had a sore spot rubbed on his ear to where it seems to be bleeding. I immediately took off his posts as soon as I noticed today and am leaving them to air out at the moment but I am a bit concerned about redoing them. I have been using the backer rod method with foam rods and didn't notice much of an issue until today. I have also been having quite the issue keeping his ears straight up as they tend to lean forward and I fear that is going to effect how his ears turn out. Puck is currently 13 weeks old so I know I still have a ways to go with posting so any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sores are often caused by tape that is too tight, got wet, or posts are moving and rubbing. Can you post a photo how you're posting? You might be able to post and simply leave the irritated spot untaped.
So here is a picture from yesterday on how his ears were posted. They were due for a change today anyway as it rained yesterday and he did get wet and the bridge was falling apart because I still haven't nailed that down. It's on the inner front part of his ear (second picture is of the sore) so I am not sure how I would avoid this.
Brown Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal
Jaw Gesture Finger Fawn Whiskers

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
Do not post that ear until the spot is entirely healed.

You are putting that brace in waaaay too high up--should be as close to the top of the head as possible.

I think you may not be getting the post itself seated all the way down in the ear and it's allowing a lot of movement (which is pobably what caused the rub spot. Making sure that the post is all the way down into the ear canal (use smaller backer rod or trim the end that goes into the ear before taping it to make sure it does seat all the way down AND lowering the brace should both help the post to not move around.

But for the time being let that spot heal completely--no scab nothing but clean pink skin before you try to post again. You won't lose any time nor will it cause failure of the ears to stand at this stage of the game. But posting with the spot still raw or scabby will really slow things down if an infection develops.

dobebug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not post that ear until the spot is entirely healed.

You are putting that brace in waaaay too high up--should be as close to the top of the head as possible.

I think you may not be getting the post itself seated all the way down in the ear and it's allowing a lot of movement (which is pobably what caused the rug spot. Making sure that the post is all the way down into the ear canal (use smaller backer rod or trim the end that goes into the ear before taping it to make sure it does seat all the way down AND lowering the brace should both help the post to not move around.

But for the time being let that spot heal completely--no scab nothing but clean pink skin before you try to post again. You won't lose any time nor will it cause failure of the ears to stand at this stage of the game. But posting with the spot still raw or scabby will really slow things down if an infection developes.

dobebug
Thank you so much for the advice. I was a little worried about leaving them not posted after everything I have heard but I am much more worried about an infection or causing more pain to that area. I will also definitely be lowering the brace once he is completely healed up as I think that was likely the issue with the instability. I think that may also help them from inching forward.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gorgeous pup, those eyes! Hang in there, posting is a skill that simply takes practice. Right around the time you feel really comfortable doing so, it will be time to take them down. My breeder (well known here) is wonderful in her teaching/support in meeting every week to 10 days until I got the hang of it. With each successive pup I required less and less hands on but without that initial support I would have been lost.

But don't stress, they happen and that rub spot is minor, it will heal quickly. If not already doing so, put a little Gold Bond powder on the posts before inserting snugly in the ear. This helps with rubbing and has the added benefit of helping the ear heal from current and future spots.

As Dobebug mentioned, lower that brace closer to the crown of the head. If you train the base the rest of the ear will follow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi annie. Welcome to you and Puck from the Pacific NW.

Since you just heard from 2 members who really know about positing ears, I have nothing to add.

Except..... Puck is one cute puppy and I hope you keep updating us as he grows up. With lots of photos, of course! LOL

John L.
Portland OR
I definitely will. He has been my first non-herding breed but I've already been converted. Such a big difference but also so much alike. Just for being adorable. Here is Puck and Sprout from yesterday.
Dog Road surface Carnivore Mammal Sunlight

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gorgeous pup, those eyes! Hang in there, posting is a skill that simply takes practice. Right around the time you feel really comfortable doing so, it will be time to take them down. My breeder (well known here) is wonderful in her teaching/support in meeting every week to 10 days until I got the hang of it. With each successive pup I required less and less hands on but without that initial support I would have been lost.

But don't stress, they happen and that rub spot is minor, it will heal quickly. If not already doing so, put a little Gold Bond powder on the posts before inserting snugly in the ear. This helps with rubbing and has the added benefit of helping the ear heal from current and future spots.

As Dobebug mentioned, lower that brace closer to the crown of the head. If you train the base the rest of the ear will follow.
My breeder unfortunately does not live close to me but let me watch her do his ears when I picked him up. It has been a lot of watching videos and since he is so squirmy finding the right time where he is tired enough and I have someone to help me hold him. I will definitely also pick up some Gold Bond as well to see if that will help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh to help with the Squirmies I became a professional Dober-ear masseuse. During those first few months i would remove the old posts in the late afternoon, let them breath for an hour or two, encourage play, dinner. When starting to slow down, begin a nice slow ear massage, eventually inserting the posts. They begin associate the re-posting with ear rubs and more importantly love and focused attention from you. Soon you will have a pup who falls asleep and remains so while you work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh to help with the Squirmies I became a professional Dober-ear masseuse. During those first few months i would remove the old posts in the late afternoon, let them breath for an hour or two, encourage play, dinner. When starting to slow down, begin a nice slow ear massage, eventually inserting the posts. They begin associate the re-posting with ear rubs and more importantly love and focused attention from you. Soon you will have a pup who falls asleep and remains so while you work.
That's more relaxing than my method. I have been spreading peanut butter on my refrigerator and while he is working on that, I work on his ears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts