Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Alright ... here is the question I've been struggling with for the past few days. We have a seven month doberman who had her ears cropped at 8 or 9 weeks of age. We were posting her ears religiously until about two months ago. She got an ear infection, so the posting had to come off for a week in order for the ears to heal. Then, while the ears were healing from the infection, she had an outbreak of demodex mites around her ears and face. Our vet recommended not posting until we were about to get the mange under control. Her skin has finally gotten better and she should be safe to repost ... but ... it has been approximately two months since we've posted! Is there even a point to posting again? The vet said that because of all her skin issues and time lapse, they may just never stand. On the one hand, I don't want to just throw in the towel, but on the other hand, I don't want to put her through the posting if the chances of them standing are fairly nil. So, suggestions? :thanx:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
How did her ears look when you stopped posting? Were they almost standing then or still really floppy?

If they were almost standing at, what, around 5 months, when you had to stop for a bit, you've got a decent chance of getting them to stand starting back in at seven months--some folks end up posting until the dog is almost a year old or more.

If her skin is still tender or at all raw, or if there is a concern that the taping is part of the problem with her skin infections, then it might be time to quit. It's really up to you and how much you want to keep fooling with them.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Are the bases still up or are the ears laying flat to the skull? I dont think I would give up without giving it another go anyway. Try posting for two or three months and see if they will come back up. If they do, I would post till they stand. One person on here posted for two years, but those ears are standing now.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope the photo attaches ... my first time attaching a picture to a thread :)

If not though, the ears do look like they perk up at the half way point, but then flop from that point. The photo I uploaded as one ear standing, which at this point, is down like the other.

I think I will try reposting. It's not like it can really hurt to try :) Thanks for the advice/help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I think you have a good chance of them standing. You may have to post up until a year of age or even longer, but it can work. My boy had one ear that would be up for a day or so and then flop at about the half way point, until he was about 18 months old. I just kept posting, and it worked. That ear hasn't flopped since he was 18 months or so, and he is now 3-1/2.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I agree that you should continue to post as the bases are still standing. Again, it may take a bit, but definitely worth the shot! :)

Jan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts