Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I just brought home and Doberman puppy a week and a half ago. The breeder showed me how to post the ears and I did them myself and had them posted for a few days. I took them down today bc I noticed my puppy was scratching at his ear a lot and shaking his head. When I took the post off I noticed some open red wounds and brown and red discharge. His ears are fully healed. I’m not sure if maybe I put the tape a little too tight. But I cleaned his ears with hydrogen peroxide and applied a neosporin antibiotic to them. It is just one ear that has a open would in concerned about. Can anyone help me on what to do. Like said I applied some neosporin antibiotic to it and have it air drying to give it time to heal. It is a little inflamed around the site too. Any advice? I have attached some photos so you can get a better idea. The white is the antibiotic I put on it. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Super fast response - others will weigh in but in haste I will state:
  • stop posting and let that heal
  • tape was too tight, it is critical that you lay the tape around the ear without ANY tension and then, scrunch it around the post and ear
  • DO NOT clean with peroxide, alcohol, or anything other that cool clean water
  • while you are waiting for it to heal, read and re-read this tutorial on posting
  • don’t leave the ears posted longer than 3 or 4 days
  • while the ears heal, be sure to spend time just petting the pup and gently touching the ears to keep him used to having his ears touched

·
Administrator
15,923 Posts
It looks like you taped too tight. If you are going to post them before you heal all the way again you will need to avoid those areas with tape. What posting method are you using? If you are using backer rod method make your posts extra sticky (or glue them in with a spot of torbot glue) so the stickiness of the post is what's keeping it in the ear vs. the tape around the outside.

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
Hi mw.. Welcome from the Pacific NW
So... Exactly what MMc said (in haste LOL) ^^^^^^
This is no big deal. But as MM said, it is essential that you do not start to post again until the ear is totally healed.

Some first time ear posters worry that delaying putting the ears up immediately will result in a failed crop. Given your pup's young age and the fact that you will be doing the postings, you have nothing to worry about. Take your time, have patience, and then just resume where you left off.

The visual tutorial that is provided above, is excellent. If you follow the instructions carefully, returning with any questions before you begin and coming back with any subsequent questions or concerns, you will be successful in you pursuit of handsome ears for your pup.

MM mentioned the tape being to tight. This is a common mistake made by folks new to crops. There is a specific technique, that is well explained in the lesson. Again... if you are at all unsure or confused, please don't hesitate to ask foe assistance. Members here on Doberman Talk, have helped a huge number of people, unfamiliar with the process, post their pup's ears, with great success. Posting ears is a terrific opportunity to bond with you pup if you make it a positive experience. Plus, puppies can learn at an early age that having hands put on them in a caring and gentle way is nothing to be afraid of. and, in fact, is a good thing. Down the line, vets, vet techs, dog groomers, handlers and anyone else who might care for you pup will thank you!

BTW... how about. few pics of your WHOLE pup, not just the ears. And maybe a name to go along with it.

John L
Portland OR

Edit to say: I see member greenkouki just responded to you questions. greenkouki is the author of the visual lesson that MMc provide above, and knows as much as anybody about posting cropped ears on Doberman puppies.

jl

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
M & M put up a very correct and concise list of do's and don't's I can't add much and greenkouki and John added some details and important to remember things about posting.

And I will only repeat this--DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING ANY POSTING UNTIL EVERYTHING--ESPECIALLY ON THE EAR THAT IS INFECTED AND HAS A BIG PATCH OF RAW SKIN--IS TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY HEALED.

Also, I don't know what, a few days, means to you and I don't know where you are but if your temperatures are warm and at all humid a few days would be not more than three to me. That's another mistake I see beginners to posting make--somewhere they saw some information about posting ears for a week--generally that's too long--in warm weather especially if it's humid I don't post for more than 3 days, cool and dry you can usually post for 5 days. But if posts get wet for any reason--take the posts down dry everything thoroughly and repost.

This really doesn't delay getting the ears to stand as John explained^^^.

dobebug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts