Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our now 15-week-old puppy, Harlow had her ears cropped by Dr. Schaffer in Dallas on September 21st. Dr, Schaffer cropped our now 6-year-old ears when we lived in the DFW area and it was easy to go to her office weekly for re-posting. My hubby and I have posted her ears twice ourselves but I’m not sure we’re doing the best job for the best results. 😐 We now live in the Little Rock area and I would like to find someone that can post Harlow’s ears without driving 12 hours round trip to Dr. Schaffer’s office. Thanks in advance.

Harlow with her decorated wrap compliments of Dr. Schaffer!

Dog Dog clothes Carnivore Dog breed Working animal

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,751 Posts
Cute puppy--but that's a LOT of tape. Have you looked at our tutorial? We really do encourage folks to learn to post their puppies themselves. There are so many advantages to that--no one cares more about your pup's appearance than you do, so you're likely to be more willing to fuss to get it just right. And you can also deal with those little emergencies which mean you should change the posts right away (like muddy or wet posts, or when the post pops out of the ear at the bottom) without having to wait for a vet appointment, and also keep a better eye on whether the ears are getting inflamed or even infected so you can do something right away rather than wait a few days for the next reposting.

Anyway, here's a couple of links to our tutorials showing the way many of us prefer:

(23) How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

(23) How to: Gently Remove Ear Posts | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

You'll feel all thumbs at first, and your first posting jobs will likely look.....not like this example 🙂 but keep it up and you'll soon get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
Our now 15-week-old puppy, Harlow had her ears cropped by Dr. Schaffer in Dallas on September 21st. Dr, Schaffer cropped our now 6-year-old ears when we lived in the DFW area and it was easy to go to her office weekly for re-posting. My hubby and I have posted her ears twice ourselves but I’m not sure we’re doing the best job for the best results. 😐 We now live in the Little Rock area and I would like to find someone that can post Harlow’s ears without driving 12 hours round trip to Dr. Schaffer’s office. Thanks in advance.

Harlow with her decorated wrap compliments of Dr. Schaffer!

View attachment 142047
What a very cute puppy. Have you gone to the Puppy Forum here on Doberman Talk and looked in the sub Forum on Cropping and Posting? Posting ears isn't rocket science and there is a very good pictoral explanation of posting by greenkouki--it has all of the things need to post ears listed and how to prepare them and how to post/when to post as well as further explanations on how to remove posts and how to take care of some common problems that can come up in posting.

I usually tell people to contact the local Doberman Chapter Club for help in finding someone to either post ears or do a demo to help owners learn how to do it themselves.

But alas--Arkansas doesn't have a Chapter Club. So take a couple of pictures of the posting you are doing and there are a number of people who can make suggestions if the posts don't look correct. (Everyone feels all thumbs when they start posting--it gets easier after doing it a few times).

Good luck with this...

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
7,133 Posts
Hi Gigi and welcome to Harlow from the Pacific NW

So...Yeah. learning to post your pup's ears might seem daunting at first, but you and Harlow will get used to it very quickly. We just. finished up my son's current puppy a month or so ago. I can suggest a few things that will make it bit easier initially.

-Start with a tired puppy. Not having a hyper squirmy little critter to deal with with makes a huge difference. LOL

-Have 2 people. One to hold and reward Harlow and one to do the actual posting. Eventually, this won't be necessary. But at first, four hands are way better than two.

- Be calm, but firm. Don't get frustrated. The pup will pick up on stress and react accordingly. You want this to be a positive experience for your puppy. It is actually a very good opportunity to bond. Use frequent praise and treats

Plus they learn to accept being handled without fear or anxiety. This will be a nice bonus down the line with, vets, walkers, trainers, and anyone else who may need to handle your dog . I have been told by my vet and his techs that my 7 yo Dobe is one of the easiest and most compliant dogs they see. Both the vet and I are convinced that all. the months posting his ears had a lot to to do with this.

Finally, as both melbrod and dobebug said, you will always have access to advice and support here on DT.

John L.
Portland OR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts