Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have a 6mo old pup who is doing great. Unfortunately, he's developed ear pockets, with the one on his right side in the photo below being the most severe.

While he's not my first dobe, he's the first one I've had as a young pup, so my inexperience with ear posting shows. If he's just kind of 'following along,' the ears stand like they should and the pocket is not visible.. If he's semi-serious, the pockets don't pop out, but the ears lean into each other a bit. When he's very alert and really pulling those ears in hard like in the pic, the pocket is pronounced.

My question is, can this be corrected, or is it to late to do something about?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It can still be corrected. Use the ear posting tutorial on this site and use the bumpers. I'm struggling with pockets right now with my 9 month old and the bumpers really do help. Definitely want to correct it asap though. Good luck! They are very annoying to deal with :rolleyesww:

ETA: Are you using a bridge? When you post the ears, make sure that they angle slightly away from his head. They should be at a 10 and 2 postion. If you are using a bridge, get rid of it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I have now used the bumper method through two postings, leaving them up for 7 days at a time, and as you can see the improvement in my boy's ears has been remarkable.

While I can still see the pockets a bit when he's really pulling the ears up hard, the pockets have greatly diminished. Not only has posting like this helped with the pocket problem, but the overall alignment of the ears has improved as well. It just looked so goofy before when he was alert and the ears basically folded in on each other.

I'm going to keep posting to hopefully get rid of the pockets for good, and because the ears seem pretty flimsy still, especially when he's running around. He just turned 7 months last week so I'm hoping he's not too far off schedule.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow ! great improvement ! Definately keep posting ;) I was still trying to correct a pocket on my girl until she was 11 months old. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts