Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My puppy is 12 weeks old and his ears are cropped. Tonight we changed his
posts for the third time since we've had him. As I was unwrapping it, there was a gooey, slimy and smelly thing on the back of his ear. Every time we have changed his ear there is some hair that is removed but this time there was more then usual. I always clean the ears inside and out with alcohol before putting in the new posts.

When we received him from the breeder, the back of his ears had this glue like stuff which she said would come off in time. So, I'm not sure if it's the glue or if there is a possible infection.

The inside of the ear seems to be clean and normal. Could the back of his one ear have an infection?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, he could have an infection anywhere the tape covers the ear or inside the ear canal. There should be no foul odor. Bad odor is sign of infection. You need to find the infected place and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. Do not tape there until the place heals. Buy some BFI powder and dust the back of the ears, lightly flip ears to get rid of excess powder and tape. The powder really helps with tape removal not pulling out so much hair.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Clean the area well and see if you can see any infection or wound. Agreed that normal ears should not smell so a strong odor is not a good sign. Pictures would help, or better yet, consult your vet. It should be a fairly easy fix, but it will need to be treated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your tips. I have attached a few photos that were taken last night.

Would the ears still stand in the future even if the ears are left open for a few days?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I am on my phone, so cant see really well, but it looks like there may be a raw spot close to where the ear connects to the skull. Anytime you see a raw spot dont tape over it. If it is not seeping you can often get by with applying Triple Antibiotic, putting some cotton over it, to cover, then loosely tape. Seeping places cant be covered as they need air to dry out and heal. But you can usually just place the tape around it. If you tape over these places, they will get bigger and worse. If you have to leave the ears down to heal, you have to! At three months of age, you still have plenty of time to get those ears up. Just be careful to not let infections get too bad. Use the BFI antibiotic powder I told you about, as it will help somewhat. Best wishes!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Linda! I will unwrap them and apply the triple antibiotics tonight. Is the triple antibiotics the same as the BFI powder?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No, the Triple Antibiotic is an ointment you put on infected or raw places. The BFI is a powder that acts slightly as a preventative by its antibiotic properties and helping greatly to stop hair being pulled out when removing tape. Remember, ointment, a little dab will do you, on raw and infected places and powder over bare spots and rest of the back of ears. Are you wrapping whole ear? You can get by and your pup will be more comfortable with a strip of tape at the tips of the ears and a strip at the base or close of the ears. Always wrap tape loosely and then compress by squeezing with your hand to make the tape stick to itself. Doing it that way prevents you from taping too tightly and cutting off circulation to the ears.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Linda, Sorry for the delay of this response. I hadn't check the forum for a couple of days!
The ear looks much better now. Thank you for all your tips.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Linda, Sorry for the delay of this response. I hadn't check the forum for a couple of days!
The ear looks much better now. Thank you for all your tips.
Whiskey had a reaction to a tape I used and his ears were infected like that. Be sure to let them heal 100% before you post again... Can't wait to see more pics :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts