Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lima has been off the post for about a week and his ears were perfectly straight. Just yesterday he was running around a field playing and he ears stayed right in place. This morning we woke up to find the picture below and his ears are once again in the posts. What could have possibly caused this to happen overnight? Sleeping on it wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
how old is he?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is 5 months old. I know that they should be posted until six or when they finish teething but he manages to destroy his posts within a day if I do them or three days when a vet does.
Here's a picture of him they day after his posts were removed. His right ear is kind of wonky because he was rolling around before I took the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
how is he destroying them?

·
Banned
269 Posts
Even if it means a few extra trips back and forth they should still be posted right now, it will be worth it in the end. It seems like your almost done- just hang in there and keep them supported correctly, hes still young.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He loves to roll around on his back and bend in weird ways that causes the tape that is keeping the post on to start peeling and when they peel he scratches them when I'm not looking oR rubs his face until he gets the support out of his ear hole which causes the post to rest on top of his head. If put an ecollar on it's even worse as he runs head first into things or rubs against our couch in an attempt to take them off.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
have you tried redirection to stop him?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They seemed done which is why they weren't reposted because my dad hates spending money on something Lima would destroy even when I told him that this would be a commitment and that thy had to be posted until 6 months

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
If his base is standing well, then there are ways to post that do not have a post in the ear canal itself - so it does not bother then as much. Here is what it looks like - there should be a topic somewhere on the forum that tells you how to do these but I'm not very good at searching:

·
Super Moderator
22,322 Posts
He's too young to stop posting. Some ears need to be posted close to a year - you really can't set a date on it - it depends on the quality of the ear leather for each dog. Your tape should be sticky enough to stay on his ears and posts. Perhaps you can find someone local to help you?

Reactions: SieYa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried many things: distracting him with noise or toys, stopping his leg from scratching by holding it when he tries(which is why he only does it when I'm not looking), telling him no, and most recently, spraying him on his hindquarters with a little water with a small spray bottle since he hates being wet. The water is working every now and then but nothing has managed to stop him.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
i'm wondering if he's mildly reactive to the adhesive in the tape. the litter my first puppy came from had a severe reaction to the adhesive in the tape used to tape their ears to their cups after their crops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The base is really strong, it's just midway up the ear that it flops over. I'll probably start doing that posting and see if I have any luck. I've tried a couple different methods and he gets out of each one.
We have used gauze tape, medical tape, and even athletics tape but still no go. The tape sticks to the post and the ear but once it starts peeling it's game over.
Is there a way or a site which I can go to for people who can help me? Preferably cheap? It's not that I cannot afford it it's just my dad who is a bit thrifty and since it is registered under his name it is technically his dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts