Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm buying a 13 week old Doberman sometime this week and I wanted to know if 13 weeks is too late to crop his ears? I heard short style crop can be done up until 16 weeks.

·
Starchild
170 Posts
A lot of literature will say don't go past 12 weeks. But be wary of the short crop, a very specific shaped head can pull it off (my opinion at least)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of literature will say don't go past 12 weeks. But be wary of the short crop, a very specific shaped head can pull it off (my opinion at least)
I'm debating between short and medium. That's if I still have time. I like medium better though.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Most GOOD cropping vets will not crop past 12 weeks of age. You're right about a short crop having more of a chance of standing but I've known of maybe 3 or 4 dobes that look good with a short crop. In my opinion, the doberman is made t have a longer corp.

If you buy from a reputable breeder, regardless of age, the dog will come with a beautiful crop.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's hard to tell if it's going to look good or not as a pup but here's what mine looks like (I did medium):
Hmmm...Personally I'd consider that a long/show crop...and a good one at that! VERY cute pup! :) Nice lookin' ears! In my opinion you could certainly get any sort of crop that you would like at 13 weeks...but just be prepared to prop them though the teething stage! :)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'd schedule a consultation with the best ear cropping vet in your region of the country to see what they think will be most successful/look the best. The last thing you want is to regret having the procedure done by a vet that some guy down the street told you about, have the crop flop or look terrible, and have to look at those ears instead of beautiful natural ones for the rest of your dog's life.

:)

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
Welcome to DT. It's in your best interest to purchase a puppy from a reputable breeder who has the litter cropped before sending each pup to its new home. I'd really recommend finding a different breeder if this is important to you. We are here to help recommend breeders in your area if you need!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My dobe was cropped at 12 weeks (not my choice...previous owner did it) and at 13 months old his ears are STILL having issues standing. I wouldn't risk it if I were you. It's a lot of hard work and may not be worth it if they never stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts