Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting our pup in a few weeks and have been looking for a vet that does ear cropping in Jacksonville nc or near by. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you:)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Not sure who the vet was exactly but my boy was done in jville and they did not know how to crop a Dobie properly.... (we were stationed in cherry point for a while ) one of my hubbys marines got this pup from a non reputable breeder and then had to get it cropped. (he later decided they no longer wanted or could care for Ammo do we took him before he hit the pound but that's beside the point) * be sure to take your time and purchase from reputable breeder who will crop before going to new home.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I can recommend Dr Todd worrell in morehead city, but I would strongly urge you to find a better breeder. One that does proper health testing, titles, and will take care of ear for you. Who is your current choice of breeder?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT. Typically reputable breeders handle ear cropping so new owners are not burdened with finding a good cropping vet.

Good luck with your pup. Not sure about ear croppers in NC.
This.

You could consider contacting reputable breeders and ask who they go to but at that point, if you're in contact with those breeders I don't see why you wouldn't just get a puppy from them. Your money is going to a better place that way.

·
Mind over matter
23 Posts
I'm in Jville too. Make an appt with Brian Garrett in Fayetteville (910)323-1535. He is very reputable, has done mine and another good friend of mine and both has turned out perfectly. Your dog's ears are worth a 2hr drive!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
post some pics so we can see those great ears :nicejob:

I'm in Jville too. Make an appt with Brian Garrett in Fayetteville (910)323-1535. He is very reputable, has done mine and another good friend of mine and both has turned out perfectly. Your dog's ears are worth a 2hr drive!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone! Our breeder is in SC she does offer the cropping for an extra price but she has recommended if they take care of the cropping the puppy will have to stay there longer. Our friends got a pup from the same breeder and is also currently looking for a vet as well. All the breeders that we have looked at online are not offering the ear cropping. I am going to call Greenville and Asheville today I have also been told to ask for pics of their work. We visited academy vet hospital yesterday in Jacksonville but didn't feel like it was a good place no pics were available and I don't know just didn't seem like a clean place as well. We should be getting our pup on June 9th will post pics soon! :)

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
I would consider the option of the puppy staying with the breeder longer. I am no expert or anything, but in the same boat as you.. I am waiting for my puppy from a breeder. But my breed DEMANDS the ears be done by her vet, who specializes in the procedure. They are done at 7 weeks, so they must wait 3 weeks for the ears to be fully healed and post-able. She requires us to take a posting and care lesson with her and the vet that did the procedure when we pick him up at 10 weeks. I know you are eager to get your puppy, trust me lol... its basically all I think about... but I have heard some serious horror stories from people who have had them done by some random vet!

My cousin just got a puppy from a less than reputable breeder without any research. The breeder's excuse for not providing cropping was that he wanted the owners to choose if they had them done or not. Now she may not be the best example because she is kind of an idiot about this honestly lol, but she waited till the little dobergirl was 14 weeks to go to some random vet to get them done. Anywho... the crop job looks like the vet was drunk when he did them, the puppy got a slight infection, and her posting instructions were basically the opposite of everything I have read and learned from the very helpful and EXPERIENCED people on this website.

To make this LONG story short... trust the people on this site! Sometimes they sound a bit rough around the edges, but in these last few weeks of learning from them before our little Maddox arrives, I have learned more about this breed than I know about people lol! Ears are a lifetime thing... if they get screwed up, you cannot go back!

·
Mind over matter
23 Posts
Jbb you puppy is adorable! :)
Thanks! Yeah just call them at Fayetteville and set up your appointment. They have certain days that they do ear crops so be sure to make the appointment early because during those days they're pretty busy. I just took a day of leave, dropped him off at 0800, told them which crop that I wanted my son to have(also showed them a pic out of the magazine)and killed time in Fayetteville until he was ready to be picked up at 1645. They will want to keep an eye on him for a few hours so plan to pick him up during the evening around 1600-1700 possibly earlier and be sure to ask them for sleep medicine so your little one won't be whining the whole way home. The people there are extremely nice and will take care of your little one so it's well worth the 2hr drive especially knowing that you will have a great finished product instead of taking your chances around here and risking a crop that you're unhappy with. The Animal Academy here in Jacksonville may not seem very sociable but are good with animals from what i've seen, Ive only used them to remove stitches instead of driving back up to Fayetteville. If you have any ?'s feel free to inbox me.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you everyone! Our breeder is in SC she does offer the cropping for an extra price but she has recommended if they take care of the cropping the puppy will have to stay there longer. Our friends got a pup from the same breeder and is also currently looking for a vet as well. All the breeders that we have looked at online are not offering the ear cropping. I am going to call Greenville and Asheville today I have also been told to ask for pics of their work. We visited academy vet hospital yesterday in Jacksonville but didn't feel like it was a good place no pics were available and I don't know just didn't seem like a clean place as well. We should be getting our pup on June 9th will post pics soon! :)

Hi, welcome to the forum.

At the risk of "piling on," I'm going to reiterate what others have already told you--namely, that a truly good breeder does NOT leave it up to puppy buyers to search out a cropping vet and handle all that themselves.

I am quite sure you found lots and lots of breeders "online" who just dump the whole cropping task and aftercare on the new buyers--because there are far more unethical, unknowledgeable breeders out there than there are good ones.

It is no one's intention to run ya off, truly it is not. It's just that most of us here either made the same mistake you're about to, in the past--or we work in rescue, and end up dealing with these same backyard bred Dobermans when they land in rescues, shelters, and dumped in the paper or on craigslist.

The problem is, Dobermans have so very many inherited diseases, many of them fatal, that no one needs to be breeding anymore, without doing tons of research, tons of health screenings (not just vet check-ups, actual diagnostic screenings), and really, really proving the animals they are using in their breeding program have the best possible chance of passing on healthy genetic make-up.

Please, I know it's hard, when you don't come from the same knowledge base, and haven't seen all this, to walk away from a cute puppy you have your heart set on...but it is the ethical thing to do, if this is the type of breeder it sounds like.

If you reconsider, there are plenty of folks here who will be more than happy to help you wade thru the red flags, and help you find a breeder doing things right. It's a decision that will affect you and your friends and family for the next ten years, after all.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Just my two cents, but I would opt for another breeder myself. Reputable breeders do NOT charge more for ears and would NOT leave it up to the owner to do it themselves. This is a big commitment and I would want the best possible chances of a healthy puppy that can grow up into a well adjusted adult. To me that means supporting REPUTABLE breeders. It will give you the best chances of a nice healthy well adjusted puppy and adult. BYBs are risky at best with health, temperament, etc. Ethically I would also NEVER support a BYB.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have to agree with the rest here. Oftentimes, ear crops are not the only extra worry or problems that come with puppies from these types of "bargain breeders" or even high priced, but non caring breeders. They can sound very intelligent to a newbie looking for a doberman, but if you know what to ask, they are easy to spot.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
True................Unless you are dealing with a breeder that cares more for the natural beauty of a doberman.
Then you can look for a breeder who keeps their litters natural. OP should have researched a bit more to find a reputable breeder who does the C/D for you, before you get the pup, if you prefer that look.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts