Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the vet today and she asked if I was going to get Azura's ears cropped and said that I would have around 2 or 3 more weeks to decide before it was too late to do so. My question is are there any benefits to getting them cropped and are there any for leaving them natural. I could go either way with them so it isn't a big deal to me if they are or aren't cropped, just wanting everyone's opinion.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If they weren't already done by a good breeder before the puppy went home, I'd probably skip it. It's extremely hard to find a qualified GOOD ear cropping vet and then the aftercare can be difficult if you don't know what to expect.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
If your vet isn't a well known Doberman cropper (and most aren't), then I would leave them natural. Far too many ugly, mutilated ears around already...

There is no benefit either way, it's a cosmetic surgery. If you like cropped ears, PLEASE find a GOOD cropping vet who crops doberman ears.

Reactions: Cathy43

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
How old is your dobe? Around 12 weeks, yes?

Cropping is typically done around 7-10 weeks by the breeder's vet so new owners aren't left floundering to find a good cropping vet. I would leave the ears natural.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a preference thing but if left uncut, you'll get tired of answering the question "what kind of dog is that". I've had both. They also have very little of the same "scare" factor that keeps people out of the yard.

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
It's a preference thing but if left uncut, you'll get tired of answering the question "what kind of dog is that". I've had both. They also have very little of the same "scare" factor that keeps people out of the yard.
You get that whether they are cropped of not. There are several threads about it. As for "scare factor", no way am I going into someone's yard by myself if there in a dog there, no matter what breed it is. Yorkies and Chihuahuas bite too, you know.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,306 Posts
And if you crop them, you get to fend off snide comments about how cruel it is to cut off a dogs ears!

Can't win for losing. But posting the ears after cropping is a bit of a bother, and if you don't do it for long enough (generally three months, sometimes longer), the ears won't stand properly and you've paid all that money for a failed crop.

My dogs' ears are cropped, but if I didn't have an opinion one way or the other, I think I'd leave the dog's ears natural and save the money I would have spent on surgery for something else.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Two things to consider there is a higher possibility of ear infections with leaving them uncropped and there is the risk of hematomas as she gets older from the flapping of the ears which is painful and can require repeated surgery to eleviate the painful condition.

Both of these can be eliminated by cropping.

It is also a cropped and docked breed

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I personally think that if you don't have your breeder's help with this then you should just leave them natural. Had my boy not been cropped by his breeder, especially after being on DT for so long and reading about the aftercare, I would have left my boy's ears natural. I like the cropped look but I SUCKED at posting the ears and was making it a stressful event for both myself and for my boy.

Plus, natural pups are gorgeous too. I hear the floppy ears are velvety soft and fun to play with.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The closest crop artist to you will be Dr. Sam Grant of Mount Washington Animal Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio. I thought he had retired but someone just got their pup cropped by him a couple of months ago so you may want to give him a call. He does not, however, offer anything in the way of aftercare so you'd need to learn how to post ears on your own. I'm in Lexington and depending on where you are I might be able to help get you started after the ears are healed.

If you cannot get to Dr. Grant... I'd recommend leaving them natural as there are few things sadder then a gorgeous dobe face with a bad crop!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
While I will agree that dobes with cropped ears may look a bit more intimidating. My girl is a natural eared dobie and she is intimidating to more people than not. I would say 9 out of 10 people know she is a dobe as soon as they see her.

Two things to consider there is a higher possibility of ear infections with leaving them uncropped and there is the risk of hematomas as she gets older from the flapping of the ears which is painful and can require repeated surgery to eleviate the painful condition.

Both of these can be eliminated by cropping.

It is also a cropped and docked breed
I will agree with the ear infection part. You will need to clean the ears. As far as the flapping ears. I have yet to ever see a dog even out of all my dads hound dogs to have hematomas from flapping ears.

By the way we love our Kyrah's natural ears.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I completely 100% disagree with the ear infection part, and the haematoma part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts