Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our baby boy and I was just wondering if anyone knows of a great vet in the brookhaven, ms area? I spoke with several and of course they all say they are good, but I am really nervous about this step.

The vet that I like so far was very informative. He uses laser? Anyone here have that done, and if so, was it better? I know that I am asking a ton of questions, but I am very nervous about this. I have read some terrible stories.

The breeder that we got him from doesn't crop their ears, she said that it was just her preference.

Any suggestions, advice, or even what to ask the vet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

·
Registered
939 Posts
Patty Edwards is near Atlanta, GA and is one of the best in the country. Ear cropping is not something that can be handled by any vet. It has been likened to art, and to get a good crop done, you have to travel to the few vets that do it well. If you are not willing to take the pup to a reputable cropper, then I would leave the ears alone. Natural ears are MUCH better than a botched crop.

Here is Patty Edward's pratice's site. Home

Good luck with your pup

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Dr. Edwards passed away in February.

Patty Edwards is near Atlanta, GA and is one of the best in the country. Ear cropping is not something that can be handled by any vet. It has been likened to art, and to get a good crop done, you have to travel to the few vets that do it well. If you are not willing to take the pup to a reputable cropper, then I would leave the ears alone. Natural ears are MUCH better than a botched crop.

Here is Patty Edward's pratice's site. Home

Good luck with your pup

·
Registered
939 Posts
S&MM, I did not know. What a loss to our community :( Thank you for letting me know..

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Op, just something to consider--if you yourself are not very experienced with crop after-care and likewise will not have on-the-ground support from a breeder knowledgeable in this, it may very well be in the pup's best interests to leave those ears natural.

You can take the money, time, and energy and put it into training classes instead, and you will have an even deeper bond with your pup as a result, plus he'll be on his way to learning to become a breed ambassador. :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm going to second what RFR said. I think I would have left Whiskey's ears natural if I hadn't been so close to a crop artist (Dr. Sam Grant of Kaywood Dobermans) and hadn't had people nearby who were more then willing to help me if I got into trouble with the posting. I have seen some horrific crops done by people who did not know what they were doing (even though they assured the owners they could do a good dobe crop) and keep in mind that is something you will have to look at every single day for the rest of your dobe's life! Get into some training with the money you would have spent and you will find that it will reward you over and over again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts