Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at what age did you all get your dog's ears cropped, I told the vet I wanted to get my new boys ears done at 8 weeks and the receptionist told me that was too young, and said they couldnt be done till after 10 weeks which from everything I know and read about dobes is wrong. Im not going to argue with her and will do them at 10 weeks but I wanted to know the ages yours where done.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes you usually getthem done at 8 weeks but 10 isn't bad gunner's was done then and I didn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think Ava's were done at 7 weeks but I'm not 100% sure. The breeder had them done before I picked her up.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
I posted this in the other thread but I will post here also.

When you are looking to have a Doberman ear cropping done on your pet you should ensure that the pup is young enough. The procedure should be undertaken when the dog is between seven and nine weeks of age. It is crucial that you find a professional who specializes in this type of operation. This operation is more of artist ability than a regular vet surgery. Usually if you are purchasing your Dobie from a breeder they will have already had the ears cropped for you.
The first step in this procedure is to thoroughly clean the ears using rubbing alcohol on the interior and exterior of the ear. Use a soft stick to measure an approximately length for the ears and then gently stretch the ears so there are no wrinkles or folds present. Next tape the ears around the stick gently ensuring that the ears maintain their natural fold. Finally add a brace using the excess tape using a figure eight pattern ensure that you do not twist the ear on the head. The tape needs to be kept dry until you are ready to remove it from the brace. If the tape does come in contact with water it is urgent that you switch the tape promptly. When the tape becomes wet it will shrink and in severe cases the tips of the ears have been known to fall off.

There are three typical styles of Doberman ear cropping, these include military, medium, and show dog length. The shortest cropping is the military cropping which features the smallest ears with the widest base. This style of cropping almost resembles a bell. The second style is slightly longer than the first and resembles more of a bat shaped ear. The show dog style is both the longest and narrowest of the three different cropping styles.

Credit to: http://my-doberman.com/doberman-ear-cropping.html

TD

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will call again and talk to the vet directly, I doubt this receptionist has ever owned a Doberman in her life. I have talked to other Doberman owners and know this vet has over 40 years of Cropping experience, he also used to show Dobe's, plus I have seen some of his work and it looks great.

·
Registered
333 Posts
12 weeks, 12 weeks and Suzy was 14 1/2 weeks. Vet specializes in cropping won't take them under 12 weeks and they require 2nd vaccinations. My older Dobies both came out fine, Suzy just had the tape taken off hers, she'll be 6 months. I have a medium crop on Roxy and a medium show crop on Alex & Suzy. Same thing with this vet, he has probably same amount of experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts