Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
I recommend that you do nothing at all to the ear edges while they are in the process of healing. Leave them alone--not only don't pick scabs but don't try dabbing any kind of ointment on the ear edges and don't be even thinking about dabbing warm water on the scabs to remove surface debris (like dust,hair etc).

Dry and scabby is fine--and the scab will fall off or be absorbed when the scabby area is healed. Sometimes if it is a huge scab it will fall off when most of the area is healed and a new scab (much smaller) will form over the unhealed section.

As far as the area you are asking about where the suture isn't attaching skin but only cartilage--personally I wouldn't worry about it. Some years ago there were some vets who carefully sutured ear edges so that the cartilage was exposed--the reason was so that it was a nice clean edge where hair didn't grow. That was true--but clippers or even scissors will get rid of hair on ear edges but ear cropped and sutured like that took a whole lot longer to completely heal.
So even if the suture is in cartilage it will still heal. Sometimes at the very bottom (especially in a show crop) a puppy will pop a sutures in the base (where it is not only keeping skin together but cartilage) and those I suggest you take back to the cropper to get resutured.

Keep asking questions if you see stuff you don't understand--it's not just you who learn from the answer (or for that matter have questions) but other people reading your questions and the answers you get.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
That may be nothing but some serum leakage since removing scabs from the healing ears opened new areas of raw flesh and to make scabs there will be some fluid exuded which then hardens--the really messy scabs are from the surgery itself so there is a lot of blood mixed with it--replacement scabs often are more light tan in color.

Your nose is a good guide to what is going on with open, unscabbed areas--serum really doesn't smell like much of anything. Even beginning infection smell bad! Dirty. For those you need to get her back into the vet and they would probably put her on anitbiotics.

But don't panic yet.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
hi i just wanted to know if it’s normal for the ears to bleed? there will be time where it randomly bleeds a lot! i’m really concerned and not sure if i should go see a vet?
mtd--the ears as they show in the pictures of the posts and sutures at the point you stopped picking off the scabs have several very raw spots.

You are saying the ears just start to bleed for no reason? The puppy didn't bang them against anything or manage to actually scratch them with a back foot? it would not be normal for them to bleed for no reason. But if he rubs or scratches at the ears those raw spots can bleed. But you understand that there is a reason for that--that is very raw flesh and it's like having a scab on the back of your hand and you accidently knock the scab off then you have a raw spot and something as stupid as putting on a shirt and dragging the fabric across the raw area can make it start to bleed.

Can you maybe explain what happens to make the ear edges bleed.

I hate to even open this can of worms but do you know what his vWD status is? Most vWD affected dogs don't actually bleed for no reason. Most of them have sufficient vWD factor that their blood will clot pretty quickly. But when a vWD affected dog dog is "clinical" (that means he doesn't have enough circulating vWD factor to stop bleeding quickly without help.) Sometimes the help is something as minor as a powder (even cornstarch or flour) to help the blood clot. But I would think you'd probably know before the ears were cropped if he was vWD affected and clinical.

Tell me more about this sudden bleeding. But if it happens all the time and the bleeding won't stop it's time to discuss this with his vet--and you can by pass me because I didn't spend all those years in vets school to become a DVM. I know some stuff but I can't explain much without more information from you about the bleeding.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
I was watching him while he went outside to go restroom and he was running to me and just started bleeding. Another time we were laying down but i’m not sure if he did scratch but he was bleeding alot
Do you know what his genetic status is for vWD? Has he been tested by one of the genetic testing outfits like Vet Gen, Vetnostics or Vet Sol? I'm not talking about an Elisa assay which is a blood test and only tests for vWD factor circulating in the blood at the time of the the blood draw. Those would be a kind of test only done by a vet--usually in preparation for surgery.

Ask the breeders of your puppy what the status is of the parents--some combinations would not produce an "affected" dog (where there were two faulty genes) but if even one parent is clear there is no possiblity of puppies being any thing except carriers. Carriers and clear dogs don't have issues with bleeding. Most affected Dobermans don't either but it's a possibility.

It's also possible that the puppy is bleeding (for no apparent reason for something other that a vWD issue. There is a whole array of things that can cause bleeding.

Has this kind of bleeding just started? When it starts is it very hard to stop? Have you talked to his vet about it?

Before you stopped picking the scabs off was he bleeding for no reason then too? Or has this only started since you quit picking the scabs?

dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,920 Posts
And here are a couple of afterthoughts--how long did it take for the ear to quit bleeding (when it suddenly started bleeding). And was it only those two times that the bleeding started or is it happening often.

And of course the obvious one--have you actually talked to the vet about it--sent pictures so the vet knows what area is bleeding?

dobebug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts