Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 12 week old pup who recently got his ears cropped and they do look a little bad and i wanted to know if anyone can help me out and let me know if it’s normal or if it’s getting infected. i am always making sure to clean it. i did start with peroxide but learned it’s bad so i’ve been cleaning with alcohol. he has been wearing a e collar but i’m really concerned and i am a first time dobie mom. any help would be great thank you !!!
Leg Jaw Thigh Eyelash Knee

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Liver

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the first thing the more experienced members are going to suggest is that you stop cleaning the edges that are trying to heal. Let them scab and don’t touch them at all. The scabs will dry and fall off on their own as the new healthy skin under them develops. They will probably also suggest losing the collar and trimming the nails short. My breeder sent my girl home with super short nails and I never used a collar as they rubbed the ears. Some of these great members will post some great tutorial links for ear care and posting in a day or so. 😉
Thank you!! When i got him from my breeder they had said to take off all the scabs so that’s what I’ve been doing. I put the collar because he scratches so much i’m scared if i take it off he will damage his ears. Any suggestions on that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely do not remove scabs. They will fall off when ready or be reabsorbed. The scabs are a very important part of keeping the wound sealed and infection free. Use no cleaner. No witch hazel, no peroxide, and please no alcohol. I can't imagine how bad that would sting on an open wound. No neosporin. Nothing. You can lightly massage the ear AWAY from the raw edge. It will help puppy get used to getting his ears handled. Do not start posting until stitches are out then it heals for another 7 to 10 days and there is nothing but smooth pink skin. No abrasions or scabs left. I would ditch the cone if you can. As mentioned above it can rub the raw edges and hurt, delay healing, or pull off scabs making puppy open to infections. There are inflatable doughnut collars that can help keep puppy from scratching or messing with eats if you can not use a dremmel tool to cut his nails nice and short AND smooth. Traditional nail clippers shorten the nails but they are usually still hard edges and sharp.

Please if you have any questions come back here and ask. There is sooo much support and knowledge to be had. It sounds as if your breeder isn't the best informed as not picking scabs is kind of cropped ear 101. Don't worry though, you are in great hands here. Just between the pretty active regular forum users I swear, there is over 400 combined years of experience. They will come along soon and probably link some previous threads to help. I haven't learned how to do that yet. There is a search feature you can use though if there is anything specific you want to read up on. Good Luck!!
On second look at one of the pictures I am concerned some of the skin isn't in the sutures anymore, only cartiladge, but I am baby with hands on experience I have just studied for years, the more experienced crew will come along in the morning and have eagle eyes. They will spot if something is off and tell you if you need to follow up with your vet. PS I said no cleaner earlier, but you can dab lightly with a little warm water. The veterans will add if there is anything else to add but they almost always advice just leaving them alone while healing.
thank you so much that helped a lot. since i’m not taking off the scabs would i just let build up or what would be the best thing to do. I could take other pictures because it looks different from the other side of the ear but yes i did notice that too!! again thank you for the information!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi mtd. About the current state of the ears.... I have nothing to add to the very good comments already proffered.

However, I would to say: Welcome from the Pacific NW! And, please keep updating .

In the meantime, I will give you a link to an excellent visual tutorial by member greenkouki on posting Doberman ears using a method frequently suggested on DT.
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

It is highly recommended by folks here, that owners post their own pup's ears. No one will have the dedication and vested interest to ensure that your puppy's ears come out nicely more than you will. DT members have helped countless new Dobe puppy owners make posting cropped ears a pleasant and successful experience.

I suggest that you study the lesson ^^^^. Gather your supplies, and then come back with any questions that you may have. It really helps to have all of your ducks in a row before you begin posting in a few weeks. Also, you can rest assured that someone here will always be available for support and advise, to both get your started and see you to the end.

But you you and your pup.

John L.
Thank you so much !
I recommend that you do nothing at all to the ear edges while they are in the process of healing. Leave them alone--not only don't pick scabs but don't try dabbing any kind of ointment on the ear edges and don't be even thinking about dabbing warm water on the scabs to remove surface debris (like dust,hair etc).

Dry and scabby is fine--and the scab will fall off or be absorbed when the scabby area is healed. Sometimes if it is a huge scab it will fall off when most of the area is healed and a new scab (much smaller) will form over the unhealed section.

As far as the area you are asking about where the suture isn't attaching skin but only cartilage--personally I wouldn't worry about it. Some years ago there were some vets who carefully sutured ear edges so that the cartilage was exposed--the reason was so that it was a nice clean edge where hair didn't grow. That was true--but clippers or even scissors will get rid of hair on ear edges but ear cropped and sutured like that took a whole lot longer to completely heal.
So even if the suture is in cartilage it will still heal. Sometimes at the very bottom (especially in a show crop) a puppy will pop a sutures in the base (where it is not only keeping skin together but cartilage) and those I suggest you take back to the cropper to get resutured.

Keep asking questions if you see stuff you don't understand--it's not just you who learn from the answer (or for that matter have questions) but other people reading your questions and the answers you get.

dobebug
Thank you for all the information! So I haven’t touched them since the pictures above but he now is getting some like milky liquid coming out. Is that normal ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mtd--the ears as they show in the pictures of the posts and sutures at the point you stopped picking off the scabs have several very raw spots.

You are saying the ears just start to bleed for no reason? The puppy didn't bang them against anything or manage to actually scratch them with a back foot? it would not be normal for them to bleed for no reason. But if he rubs or scratches at the ears those raw spots can bleed. But you understand that there is a reason for that--that is very raw flesh and it's like having a scab on the back of your hand and you accidently knock the scab off then you have a raw spot and something as stupid as putting on a shirt and dragging the fabric across the raw area can make it start to bleed.

Can you maybe explain what happens to make the ear edges bleed.

I hate to even open this can of worms but do you know what his vWD status is? Most vWD affected dogs don't actually bleed for no reason. Most of them have sufficient vWD factor that their blood will clot pretty quickly. But when a vWD affected dog dog is "clinical" (that means he doesn't have enough circulating vWD factor to stop bleeding quickly without help.) Sometimes the help is something as minor as a powder (even cornstarch or flour) to help the blood clot. But I would think you'd probably know before the ears were cropped if he was vWD affected and clinical.

Tell me more about this sudden bleeding. But if it happens all the time and the bleeding won't stop it's time to discuss this with his vet--and you can by pass me because I didn't spend all those years in vets school to become a DVM. I know some stuff but I can't explain much without more information from you about the bleeding.

dobebug
I was watching him while he went outside to go restroom and he was running to me and just started bleeding. Another time we were laying down but i’m not sure if he did scratch but he was bleeding alot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts