Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Absolutely do not remove scabs. They will fall off when ready or be reabsorbed. The scabs are a very important part of keeping the wound sealed and infection free. Use no cleaner. No witch hazel, no peroxide, and please no alcohol. I can't imagine how bad that would sting on an open wound. No neosporin. Nothing. You can lightly massage the ear AWAY from the raw edge. It will help puppy get used to getting his ears handled. Do not start posting until stitches are out then it heals for another 7 to 10 days and there is nothing but smooth pink skin. No abrasions or scabs left. I would ditch the cone if you can. As mentioned above it can rub the raw edges and hurt, delay healing, or pull off scabs making puppy open to infections. There are inflatable doughnut collars that can help keep puppy from scratching or messing with eats if you can not use a dremmel tool to cut his nails nice and short AND smooth. Traditional nail clippers shorten the nails but they are usually still hard edges and sharp.

Please if you have any questions come back here and ask. There is sooo much support and knowledge to be had. It sounds as if your breeder isn't the best informed as not picking scabs is kind of cropped ear 101. Don't worry though, you are in great hands here. Just between the pretty active regular forum users I swear, there is over 400 combined years of experience. They will come along soon and probably link some previous threads to help. I haven't learned how to do that yet. There is a search feature you can use though if there is anything specific you want to read up on. Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
On second look at one of the pictures I am concerned some of the skin isn't in the sutures anymore, only cartiladge, but I am baby with hands on experience I have just studied for years, the more experienced crew will come along in the morning and have eagle eyes. They will spot if something is off and tell you if you need to follow up with your vet. PS I said no cleaner earlier, but you can dab lightly with a little warm water. The veterans will add if there is anything else to add but they almost always advice just leaving them alone while healing.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
thank you so much that helped a lot. since i’m not taking off the scabs would i just let build up or what would be the best thing to do. I could take other pictures because it looks different from the other side of the ear but yes i did notice that too!! again thank you for the information!!!
You're so very welcome! and yes just let them get crusty. That is why some times I think some people may use a warm damp rag, but you want to be sure not to over rub. The rag isn't to remove the build up, I believe it's just to keep the surface free from hair or fibers that get stuck in there.

Yeah in the picture one side looked like the sutures were nice and deep as in they took a healthy bite into the depth of the ear (from the edge) and the other side looks more shallow and like some of the skin came back away. I would be worried about it allowing infection in. I think the skin would still heal together, it might just take more time? Like I said I am a Doberman baby just with lots and lots of research, but in the morning when the others get online that have had many Dobermans they will get you all set up and offer more help on that question. If by later this afternoon no one else has commented on it I think it would be okay to make a new thread as it's kind of a secondary question, but I don't it will be necessary. Someone I'm sure will see and the calvary will ride in and save the day :LOL:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts