Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have another question, its about ear cropping. My pup is 7 weeks (yes i know shes too young to be away from her littermates), but aside from that. I was thinking of cropping her ears. Her tail is docked but i feel like ear cropping is all cosmetic. I know its in the decision of the owner. And i personally like the way a doberman looks with his ears cut, alot of people confuse un-cropped dobes with coonhounds?

I really dont care, but its my preference. Theres a vet here in the houston area that does a laser procedure, he charges $300+ any other fee's that might come across, im willing to pay for it, but theres this dog brace that they sell online.its non surgical and u simply just place it on the dogs ears and your set. its called "quick secure brace" by a guy named "hoyt" in tennesse, or something like that. its less but its also PAIN FREE. i was wondering if any of you owners have tried that. i dont like seeing anyone/thing going thru a hard time, even more if its my own dog.

here are some questions i was wondering about

1. exactly how old would the dog have to be to get the procedure done?

2. is it really that painful? or does it depend on the dogs tolerance/age?

3. i want a medium crop , does that take longer to heal?

4.is it necessary for the pup to have all his shots 12wks, prior to surgery?

5. will a brace or taping the ears alone w/out surgery make her ears stand properly?

6. do any of you out there know a good vet that will do a good job here in the houston area?

ok thats enough questions! thanks for your readings and responses. you guys are great .:)

pics are coming soon :]

·
Registered
275 Posts
- anywhere from 7-15 weeks

- good question....haven't gotten my ears cropped so don't know!!

- generally i think the longer the crop the longer they take to stand on their own, but every dog is different and times vary widely. Medium crop seems to be the more popular length.

- not sure, my dogs ears were cropped at just over 7 weeks.

5. will a brace or taping the ears alone w/out surgery make her ears stand properly?
- If they were not cut in surgery, even if they did eventually stand, they would not look good! Any braces sold on the internet for dobermans would likely be for use after the cropping is done during the taping stages.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
myfatboyiscool86 said:

6. do any of you out there know a good vet that will do a good job here in the houston area?

ok thats enough questions! thanks for your readings and responses. you guys are great .:)

pics are coming soon :]
1. Most doberman puppies are cropped between 7-9 weeks of age.

2. I'd never say there was no discomfort, but I've never seen any body languge that would lead me to believe it was hideously painful, either. I have an entire roll of film of a litter of freshly cropped (that morning) puppies..they're partying their little hearts out. I doubt they would have been playing and having that much fun if they'd been in awful pain.

3. the length of the crop isn't going to influence how long it takes the ears to heal..stitches usually can be removed around 10 days after surgery regardless of how long ears were cropped.

The quality of the aftercare can influence healing time and amount of discomfort..which is one reason I think reputable breeders need to crop their puppies prior to placement-they're in a far better position to care for their puppies after cropping.

My personal experience has been the age and size of the puppy can influence healing time, as well as discomfort level. The younger the puppy, the better..there's a large difference in the thickness of the ear leather between an 8 week and a 12 week old puppy.

4. No. If you waited until the entire puppy series of vax were complete, the dog would be a minimum of 16 weeks old, possibly 20 weeks old...very few competent vets are willing to crop after 12 weeks.

5. No. The ears need to be surgically cropped first, then are posted in some manner until they stand.

The quick brace system you mentioned is marketed by a large scale commercial breeder who does our breed no favors..I hate to see ANYONE put money in their pockets for any reason. There are cheaper methods of posting ears that are just as efficient, if not more..and if done correctly, no method of posting should be painful to the puppy.

6. Go to the DPCA website, www.dpca.org , then look for a link to chapter clubs..there's a chapter club in Houston..someone in that club would be able to direct you to a talented ear cropping vet. Finding a good vet to do this is really important-there are more vets who crop than there are vets who crop well.

·
Banned
675 Posts
The Doberman's ears are too long and not the right shape, rarely an uncropped Doberman will have naturally erect ears but they usually have smaller ears than is the norm.

Cropping is not done just to get the ears to stand, it's done to reshape the ear. The Hoytt quick brace system is not meant to take the place of cropping, he crops his dogs, it's meant to take the place of the traditional posting done after cropping and after the ears heal. Since House of Hoytt is a puppymill I wouldn't buy their product because it would be putting money into the pocket of an unethical breeder.
I've also heard a variety of reports about how it works.

The ears are usually cropped anywhere from 7-10 weeks, 12 being the latest most breeders would consider having them done. Responsible breeders almost always have the whole litter cropped before any of the puppies go home to their new owners, that ensures that they get a good crop and good aftercare so the puppies are well taken care of, and it makes it a lot easier for the new owner too.

Since your breeder didn't do that and sent the puppy home too young, I'm concerned on that score. But since you have the puppy now, the important thing is to find a vet who knows what he's doing(most don't when it comes to ear cropping) and get the ears done right and the aftercare done right, otherwise you're right, the puppy will suffer. The cropping itself is done under a general anesthesia so the puppy feels nothing, and usually once they wake up they act as they usually would.

It doesn't take longer for any style of crop to heal than any other style. The edges heal in about 10-14 days and the stitches are removed at that time. It's important to keep the cut edges exposed to the air during that time. After the ears are healed is when they're "posted" or "taped". Some of how long it takes the ears to stand depends on the puppy, on the thickness of her ear leather, and her cartilage, some depends on the shape and length of the crop.

Did you say you're in the Houston area? There may be a vet within driving distance who is known for doing good crops, we can survey the members and find out for you, if you like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well your responses have been useful. Ive been researching around and i see vets doing jobs as low as 100$. they have NO pictures of their cropped puppy's, and it kinda freaks me out, i looked up the dcpa for reputable vets. i have had no luck.

and about the hoytt guy, well im not sure if he's affiliated with the brace. heres a link, http://www.hoytt.com/ears/ , but i changed my mind, i'd rather just do it now. then have a droopy eared dog just to save her a little pain and 100$., So if any of you know of any good vets then i would love your responses. I would be horrified if i went to a crummy vet, spend $350. and then have her ears infected , simply because of me or because she didnt do a good job taping them.

any more help/advice given is imensely appreciated. thnx :]

- alicia

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
myfatboyiscool86 i looked up the dcpa for reputable vets. i have had no luck. [/QUOTE said:
I think you misunderstood me. The DPCA website doesn't make any vet recommendations. What you can find there is contact information for a local chapter club, and I know there's one in Houston. Someone at that chapter club would be able to refer you to a talented ear cropping vet.

So again...go to www.dpca.org . Scroll down and look for the link for "chapter clubs". Click on that, then find the Doberman Pinscher Club of Houston, there'll be an email addy to use as a contact.

Another option would be to go to the DPCA website, and click on the link for "breeder referral"..then look for breeders in the Houston area...call them, and ask for a vet referral for cropping. Show breeders ALWAYS know the best vets to do this in their area.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
will a brace or taping the ears alone w/out surgery make her ears stand properly?

the main thing about getting the ears actually cropped is for a practical and specific shape...trying to stand a dobes ears would just make them look like a rabbit or shepard style ears :) hehe

·
Registered
986 Posts
Do yourself and your puppy a favor and make sure the vet you choose is highly regarded for his/her experience in successful crops of DOBIE ears, not other breeds. (And by highly regarded, do not include the vet or his staff's opinion of his own work. After all, no doctor of ANY kind ever admits they do a crappy job, but they do.) I've seen ears that were butchered, and ear jobs that looked good but the dobie suffered his whole life from pain of nerve damage and any time his ears were touched, or brushed against, he screamed. Again, choose your surgeon based on experience and reputation, not on price. In my area, for instance, the vets who charge the most tend to have the least experience. It may be the reverse where you live, you just have to do your homework. It IS more than cosmetic, especially if it's poorly done and results in a lifetime of pain, or is botched and requires a re-crop. Educate yourself on the procedure first, then don't be afraid to give the vet the third degree on his procedure and aftercare...no less than if you were the one having a "cosmetic" procedure. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geez

::sighs:: perhaps you misunderstood ME. like i said before im NEW to owning a doberman, no need for the witty remarks. Beside's dont you think its better to ask question's then be a complete fool and not bother with finding the best solutions/info about your four legged companion. Not trying to argue , just dont need all the jibber-jabber, your info has been useful to me . i thank you for that anyway. have a great night . im off . :]

- alicia

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
myfatboyiscool86 said:
::sighs:: perhaps you misunderstood ME. like i said before im NEW to owning a doberman, no need for the witty remarks. Beside's dont you think its better to ask question's then be a complete fool and not bother with finding the best solutions/info about your four legged companion. Not trying to argue , just dont need all the jibber-jabber, your info has been useful to me . i thank you for that anyway. have a great night . im off . :]

- alicia
You've lost me here. I saw people making an honest attempt to help you, and didn't see anyone making any jokes at your expense.

Micdobe and I did some bantering, but that was due to basically posting the exact same information at the exact same time..nothing that had anything to do with you.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I dont think Ear cropping is cruel or extreamly painful at all. I dont have a problem with people that choose to leave them like they are. but I hope cropping doesnt get banned here I think it should be the owners decision.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
When ear cropping is done by an experienced vet is not cruel to the puppies. They play around like normal -even after cropping.

I would also stay away from the puppy miller Hyott's bracing system.
Posting puppy ears shouldn't be painful at all using tampons or a foam method. At the point you are ready to post ears the ears are already healed.

Murreydobe's information was great to find an experienced cropper. A good crop or a bad crop can REALLY make a huge difference in the overall look of a Doberman. You want a vet that is experienced with Doberman ears, not just pit bulls. Cropping is a very specialized art form and skill.

You can't just post large floppy Dobe puppy ears and expect anything, the ears should be cropped by a vet in order to stand correctly and look like traditional "Doberman" ears.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I will shamefully admit to purchasing the "Quick Brace" system but that is way before I knew who Hoytt was. I did like the system except that I didn't like the top wire which of course would end up getting caught on anything from a door knob to underneath the fridge. There is a way around this, but after learning who was behind the Quick Brace I did not order from them again. Now, this time around with our last litter we used the method our dane breeder uses. What a great method. You can go to www.greatdanelady.com for full instructions and details.
As said above, this something that happens after cropping. I think they would look like an Ibezan (sp?) hound LOL if you just posted them.

Just make sure you find a reputable vet who has experience in dobe ears as recommended. And if you do crop, please take the time to tape and follow instructions until those ears are standing. Nothing is worse than one ear up and one half down. Trust me, i KNOW LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
perdon

My mistake, im a bit on the offensive side at times. Pardon the misunderstanding. Anyway, Thanks for all the good info. Im going with a vet a few miles from my home, Hopefully if things are done right ill have positive results ;].

- Alicia

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really would be upset if they banned cropping and docking. Although I pobably would not take my own dog to get cropped, I do like the dog and my new guy came with cropped ears. Docking is important to me because tails can be like whips and if you have youngens that could be dangerous. I would also be fearful of people not wanting dobermans because of it. A lot of people may not want to adopt homeless dobes (and other species of cropping and docking) that are not docked and/or cropped.

·
Registered
200 Posts
so am in the same predicament, am looking for a good vet in Houston to do the cropping for my puppy, would be nice if i can get some help..

thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 27 Posts