Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just got my puppy cropped a couple days ago and they are really infected I talked to the vet and he said to post them and keep them clean along with antibiotics he gave me, my question is how do I post them without hurting him and how do I clean them
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Collar
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Collar

· Registered
2,069 Posts
You don’t post them until they are 100% healed. No scabs or no redness - just clean pink skin.
Learn how to post them yourself following the great tutorial that @greenkouki pinned in this forum.
Also, many say to ditch the cone as that irritates the ears. The pup will scratch once and learn not to bother his ears while they heal.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t post them until they are 100% healed. No scabs or no redness - just clean pink skin.
Learn how to post them yourself following the great tutorial that @greenkouki pinned in this forum.
Also, many say to ditch the cone as that irritates the ears. The pup will scratch once and learn not to bother his ears while they heal.
The vet told me to post them so the the ears don't stick together and he already ripped a stitch out so I'm not testing it again with removing the cone

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,689 Posts
Are you talking about whether to leave the Elizabethan Collar/Cone on, or whether you should start posting his ears (taping them so that they are standing upright)?

You can't put tape across a cut or scabby area; if you do, his ears are likely to get infected. They must be completely healed before you can post them. In the meantime, it is alright for them to bend inward or outward or go all wonky--the posting process is what straightens the ears and makes them stand in the proper position.

Generally, if things are going well, his ears will be healed enough to post about a week after the stitches are removed. Since your pup has an infection, you'll probably have to wait longer for them to heal completely. Just be patient--If you post an ear with scabs or open cuts, his ears will get infected and he'll be out of posts for even longer than he would have been if you had just waited in the first place. And if his ears are already infected, posting them will just make the problem worse.

· Big Lil pup
8,967 Posts
Hi Ashley.

Take a look at this discussion on ear cropping. Since you pup's ears have already been cropped, you can just skip to the part about caring for the ears between having them cropped and beginning too post:
Ear Cropping and Aftercare: Do's and Don'ts
Included in this thread are links to a few other valuable threads about actually posting cropped ears. You should pay special attention to member greenkouki's excellent visual tutorial on posting show cropped ears using the backer rod method.

When you do begin to post your puppy's ears, you find plenty of support here on DT. If you have specific questions or concerns, someone will be able to help you.

John L
Portland OR

· Premium Member
112 Posts
The vet told me to post them so the the ears don't stick together and he already ripped a stitch out so I'm not testing it again with removing the cone
You can get a doughnut pillow that will keep him from scratching without injuring the ears with the cone. Also your vet is incorrect that the ears should be posted while the ear edges are healing. Most vets don't do crops at all, then of the ones who do crop, very few are actually versed in Doberman specific ears. You might think I am a crazy lady telling you your vet is wrong, but I swear it's true.

The people on this forum have more combined posting experience (Myself not included, I have just been here learning for years in prep for my puppy.) than we could imagine. Most all the regulars have posted at LEAST 4 puppies of their own and helped with countless other dogs of people that needed help learning. I promise they won't steer you wrong. Posting while the ears are open still is a recipe for ear infections, and just more time you won't be able to post while an infection heals.

I will plus one learning to post yourself. There are a million threads here, along with the amazing tutorial linked earlier on this thread. If you have any questions or need help we are here for you. You might even be close enough for someone here to meet you in person and help, depending on where you live. I will repeat what I always see everyone here say.... No one will ever be as invested in your dogs ears as you are. :love::):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts