Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have used Vet Wrap with great success over the ears. I read on a ear posting web site that a women uses it to post the ears. I talked to my breeder about it and she say's that they would shake it off, but I thought if you tape at the bottom plus the tape on the tampons would hold it on. If it works it would be great, no sticky tape goop. Has anyone tried it ?

S/B - with great success over the YEARS!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Vet-Wrap is good stuff, I use it on my Donkey during fly season. No sticky mess, and it comes in snazzy colors, too.

It's been quite a while since I taped ears, and that was before Vet-Wrap. I'll bet all it would take to keep your Dobie from shaking it off is one wrap under the chin between the ears. After I find a pup, I'm trying the Vet-Wrap.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, the website is DPCA Breeders Education - taping method # 8

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My vet said it usually takes a month/ month and half for them to stand fine. I dont know about all that everyone I know Tapes for alot longer then that. I get the impression from him that this second time should do it ....IDK about all that sigh He doesnt Brace the Ears together or anything there just pointing out to the sides is having them braced better? The first time I braced them togeather myself they stood fine for 3 days then slowly started to fall yea incase you were wondering im starting to freak out a little lol

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I've used Vet wrap for other things over the years, but not ears. I didn't have to wrap Lexy's ears at all, the brace I used worked fabulous for us. It had a "glue" that went on the inside of her ears and on the post and that pretty much stayed put until I had to take it off to repost. Sometimes the very tips of her ears came loose of the adhesive, but I just dabbed a little on, and was good to go :) If you try it, let us know how it goes for you.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I like the Zonas tape also. Its really good and pretty reasonable in price. When we were taping, it was recommended that we re-post every 5 days. To clean the ears and get them some air. The Zonas tape always held up for that long with no problem. Its much better than any other tape I found locally.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I used vetwrap/elastikon and it worked great! Never stuck to his ears or pulled the hair/scabs off. It held up great to playing, he couldn’t shake it off, he couldn’t even scratch it off.

My Method:

I would back tape 2 Tampons with masking tape, and insert one into each ear.

Then I would take about a 18inch strip of 4inch wide VetWrap and cut it down the middle (It was cheaper than ordering the thinner rolls) This way I had two 18inch strips of 2inch wide VetWrap.

Starting at the tip of the ear (wrapping in toward his head) I would wrap down to the base of the ear and if I still had some leftover, I would start wrapping back toward the top.

Then I would take the elastikon tape and starting in the middle of his head wrap around the front of one ear (taping over the very bottom part of the vet wrap), around the back, then cross over the skull to the front of the other ear, around back,(basically making a figure-8) then straight across to the back of the other ear, and around the front again. You don't have to wrap this tape tightly at all, it will stay in place.

Here is a picture

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am glad it works!! What I wonder is why not to many people use it for ear taping ? I know that Vet-wrap can be a little expensive, but in the long run it seems to me it would make up for all the aggrevation of messy tape, baby oil, etc. And when having to take it off you just have to cut the length of the wrap and take off. We used this stuff daily in the vet clinic I worked for, it should be called "miracle wrap" It is also breathable. hmmm sounds to easy though doesnt it ?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lexy's ear are beautiful. Is that a medium pet crop ??

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
Lexy's ear are beautiful. Is that a medium pet crop ??
Thanks :) It's between a med and a long. It's definetely not the long show crop, but her breeder did do it a little longer than the medium, which her mom has.

This isn't a great pic of her mom, as Dahma has the "flying nun" ears going on here... But her ear shape is different, it has more of a bell to it at the bottom, and is a little shorter. And Lexus has a slenderer ear shape to compliment her shape, and a just a little taller.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Vet wrap is a great product but you have to be careful if it gets too warm it can get tighter by itself. Vet wrap is also used in hospitals to wrap IV sites sometimes it would tighten up so it does have to be watched.
patches mom

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Vet wrap is a great product but you have to be careful if it gets too warm it can get tighter by itself. Vet wrap is also used in hospitals to wrap IV sites sometimes it would tighten up so it does have to be watched.
patches mom
The potential for tightening up on an ear is one of the downsides of using Vet Wrap. There is a very fine line between having it tight enough to keep the ear where it should be on the post and having it too tight so there is a risk of cutting off circulation to an ear.

There have been cases where puppies have lost ears due to lack of circulation caused by Vet Wrap that was too tight and then tightened up more.

Zonas tape (by Johnson & Johnson) or the Coach Athletic Tape (also by Johnson & Johnson) are low tack tapes, breathable tapes, don't leave much residue and are pretty fool proof. I'd advise sticking (bad pun) to them.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
dobebug said:
Zonas tape (by Johnson & Johnson) or the Coach Athletic Tape (also by Johnson & Johnson) are low tack tapes, breathable tapes, don't leave much residue and are pretty fool proof. I'd advise sticking (bad pun) to them.
These are my favorites for ear taping.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
The problem with vet wrap: It tends to shrink after you put it on and can easily cut off the circulation to the ear - which results in no ear at all. It can be done but most people don't recommend it for that reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts