Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sadly I believe he is the only one that does most of the crops.... ;-(
There's a great one in Quebec and some good ones in MI but thats about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dr. Staples is the closest vet who performs ear cropping in the region I believe. He does an amazing job.

There are some out this way, especially in Montreal. But a 6-7 hour drive would be a bit much.

Who does your breeder recommend?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Dr. Storiman in Elmvale, he does an awesome job and none of my pups had any complications with posting... my now 10 month old female did not need to have her ears posted at all, they stood up on their own.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I use Dr. Storiman in Elmvale, he does an awesome job and none of my pups had any complications with posting... my now 10 month old female did not need to have her ears posted at all, they stood up on their own.
I know of another breeder who used this vet and the result was not anywhere near the same quality. How short were they to stand with no posting?
Definitely, i would drive to London to Staples.

I'll read between the lines because you asked about tail docking as well. Are you expecting puppies or are you looking for docking an older pup? You may want to clarify that.

·
R.I.P. Justice
48 Posts
Hey Taleen,

I stumbled on a post a while ago where someone had mentioned a vet @ 400 and Rutherford that does cropping... here is a quote from the post.

hi I just want to let everyone know about this vet on 400 and Rutherford, Vaughan, Ontario, Canada. His name is Dr. Kahlon. he Cropped my Logan's ears so far i love it....... anyone looking for a vet in this area should check him out.

I also think some other members have mentioned him too:s.

14-3120 Rutherford rd, Vaughan, L4K 0B1
905-879-1616
OPEN 7 Days
I will tell you this much though, I have been combing through this site for 3 months, and have found countless posts where people have referred to Dr. Staples as the best cropper in all of Ontario. Personally, I would rather drive to London and get them done perfectly, then take a chance with a lesser-known cropper, but that's just me. A 2 hr drive is much better than years of regret.

Hope it works out for you, regardless of who you choose!

Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being first time Doberman owners, we opted for getting him cropped (we bought 2, bitch/dog), we called Dr. Staples for a price and a appointment. Price seemed decent, $258 taxes in and for another $100 he would neuter.

Our nearest neighbor is Dane breeder who uses Staples, a lot. His work seems of high quality.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
First time owner? littermates? oy vey....

Being first time Doberman owners, we opted for getting him cropped (we bought 2, bitch/dog), we called Dr. Staples for a price and a appointment. Price seemed decent, $258 taxes in and for another $100 he would neuter.

Our nearest neighbor is Dane breeder who uses Staples, a lot. His work seems of high quality.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Good or bad?
BAD! No reputable breeder would ever sell a newbie littermates. A majority of experienced dobe people won't even take on littermates.

Here's Leerburg's philosophy on raising 2 pups.

My answer is simple - "NO!!! It's a BAD IDEA!!!"

In fact, I will not sell 2 of my puppies to people that want to raise them together. This is a road to disaster. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. It's hard enough to raise one pup and give it the socialization that it needs, much less two. Pups end up only getting 1/2 of the amount of time they need to be properly socialized.

2. Dogs are pack animals. This is a much stronger drive than the average pet owner understands. People think that their little puppy comes from an animal that has been socialized for thousands of years, so how could this have any negative effect on them.

3- When puppies are raised together they become what we call DOGGY. This means they look at the other dog as their buddy and not the human that owns it. Dogs that are raised to run together NEVER develop the kind of human bond that they would have had if they had been raised in a one dog family.

4- These dogs are more difficult to train. Because they don't have the strong human bond, they don't have the desire to please. In fact they often become stubborn.

All dogs have a very strong pack instinct. The more dogs in a pack the stronger the instinct becomes. Raising 2 dogs together means an elevated pack drive, raising 3 dogs means an even higher pack drive.
source: Leerburg | Raising Two Pups at a Time: Why It's a Bad Idea

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Dr. Staples, does most of the show breeders in Ontario. Plus his price is very reasonable.

Reputable breeders look after this procedure for the puppy buyer, so when they pick their pup up they just have to do the posting. No worries of finding a good cropper, no messing around with sutures, or worrying about them healing correctly.

Oh well maybe next time.

Reactions: DogsR4Life

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to Rutherford and 400 Vet for Diamonds ear crop and we are satisfied with the service thus far. We opted for a long show crop after hours of looking thru an ocean of Doberman pics. They had us bring in a few photos of the crop we wanted...we were totally new to this(not much help out there) and the assistants were great! She explained what was gonna happen and what to expect. She then took our photos and looked over them with us. This vet brings in a CKC registered breeder to draw the crop. Alot of care is going into Dr Kahlon's service, someone that takes that care really cares about their craft!....nobody starts off as a superstar and I'm sure Dr. Staples didn't either. I was one out of THREE doberman owners having ear crops done that day. Practice makes perfect. Keep on keepin on Dr. Kahlon.....FYI as far as I know crops are done on mondays only and in the AM. I dropped Diamond off at 9am and had her back in my arms by 2-3pm that day :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Taleen,

I stumbled on a post a while ago where someone had mentioned a vet @ 400 and Rutherford that does cropping... here is a quote from the post.

I will tell you this much though, I have been combing through this site for 3 months, and have found countless posts where people have referred to Dr. Staples as the best cropper in all of Ontario. Personally, I would rather drive to London and get them done perfectly, then take a chance with a lesser-known cropper, but that's just me. A 2 hr drive is much better than years of regret.

Hope it works out for you, regardless of who you choose!

Jay
Being the best out of only a couple doesnt necessarily make you the best around...perhaps just more well known. from what I heard Dr Staple does a single klnd of crop...does he offer to give you exactly what you want or are you paying for what he likes? or knows how to do? Dr Kahlon gives you what you want...considering you are dishing out a few hundred $$ you might wanna get what you want not someone elses standards....just saying...

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I went to Rutherford and 400 Vet for Diamonds ear crop and we are satisfied with the service thus far. We opted for a long show crop after hours of looking thru an ocean of Doberman pics. They had us bring in a few photos of the crop we wanted...we were totally new to this(not much help out there) and the assistants were great! She explained what was gonna happen and what to expect. She then took our photos and looked over them with us. This vet brings in a CKC registered breeder to draw the crop. Alot of care is going into Dr Kahlon's service, someone that takes that care really cares about their craft!....nobody starts off as a superstar and I'm sure Dr. Staples didn't either. I was one out of THREE doberman owners having ear crops done that day. Practice makes perfect. Keep on keepin on Dr. Kahlon.....FYI as far as I know crops are done on mondays only and in the AM. I dropped Diamond off at 9am and had her back in my arms by 2-3pm that day :D
Being the best out of only a couple doesnt necessarily make you the best around...perhaps just more well known. from what I heard Dr Staple does a single klnd of crop...does he offer to give you exactly what you want or are you paying for what he likes? or knows how to do? Dr Kahlon gives you what you want...considering you are dishing out a few hundred $$ you might wanna get what you want not someone elses standards....just saying...
Honestly I wouldn't want my pup being the practice till it's perfect pup, I want perfect! Or pretty darn close.

While I can appreciate the fact that you are happy with the crop you got I have seen a few crops from this vet. I personally found them not very attractive. In fact they were done right ugly, hopefully all that practice has made them better.

One of things that Dr. Staples does is fit the crop to your dogs head. Sure is style does not differ much but many good croppers have a style and you can usually point out who did the crop. If you don't like the style you don't go to that cropper.
In my opinion I can refer people to him because I basically know what they are going to get. and He's pretty darn consistent and after years of doing it, he doesn't so much need the practice anymore...just saying! ;)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
would you post a pic of your pups' crop? I havent see any by this vet. As we all know, Dr. Staples will retire at some point........

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
hmmm washago eh? There was some clinic up there, and he had a cropper come in and he was a HORRIBLE cropper, couldnt even manage a nice PIT BULL CROP! We had the pitty come into our clinic and one ear was about an inch shorter than the other.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts