Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have one doberman, named Brodie.
When Brodie had his ears cropped, we asked for the long show crop.
We ended up with a well done medium crop instead. But they do fit his head very well. I also like the amount of bell he was left with.

At the end of August, we are expecting to get another. His ears will get cropped probably at about 9-10 weeks. I'd really like to see some photos of different medium - long cropped ears to help me pick which I like best for my new pup.

Also, I am located in Somerset, KY (Southeastern KY) and if there are vets you could recommend that do nice crops, I'd appreciate it! :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
I would strongly advise against getting another male puppy as I'm sure others on here will as well. Male-male aggression is more common than not and it's likely you will have problems down the road even if the two males can coexist for the first year or so. Can we help you locate a reputable breeder to buy your puppy from instead? reputable breeders have all the puppies in the litter cropped before sending them to their new homes so you wouldn't even have to worry about arranging to have the ears done if you purchased from a reputable breeder. Having the ears cropped is really not your responsibility, it's the breeder's! This thread has some examples of good ear crops if you are curious http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cropping-posting/12670-opinion-examples-good-looking-crops.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would strongly advise against getting another male puppy as I'm sure others on here will as well. Male-male aggression is more common than not and it's likely you will have problems down the road even if the two males can coexist for the first year or so. Can we help you locate a reputable breeder to buy your puppy from instead? reputable breeders have all the puppies in the litter cropped before sending them to their new homes so you wouldn't even have to worry about arranging to have the ears done if you purchased from a reputable breeder. Having the ears cropped is really is not your responsibility, it's the breeder's! This thread has some examples of good ear crops if you are curious http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cropping-posting/12670-opinion-examples-good-looking-crops.html
I am set on another male. If any trouble does arise with aggression that cannot be solved with training, they will be separated. I already have a breeder I am set on as well. I'm perfectly fine with taking on the responsibility of the cropping, I just am having trouble deciding. I'd prefer actually to do the cropping myself so I get to make that decision myself. But thanks for the link! There are plenty of examples! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
I should have mentioned you might try getting in touch with "ACarrigDobermans" here on DT. She's an active member and breeder in your state that is very knowlegeable and helpful. Good luck!

Even if you can manage separating the two males for the rest of their lives, I would say to ask yourself is it really fair to them though? What if instead you had a female puppy and they turned out to be a great pair who you could trust leaving together all the time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have mentioned you might try getting in touch with "ACarrigDobermans" here on DT. She's an active member and breeder in your state that is very knowlegeable and helpful. Good luck!

Even if you can manage separating the two males for the rest of their lives, I would say to ask yourself is it really fair to them though? What if instead you had a female puppy and they turned out to be a great pair who you could trust leaving together all the time?
My sister is getting a female from the same litter. So if the aggression is a problem, we would just swap, as we are neighbors. That's really what I mean by separated! lol. But again, thanks for her info. I think I will contact her about who she would recommend!

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I am set on another male. If any trouble does arise with aggression that cannot be solved with training, they will be separated. I already have a breeder I am set on as well. I'm perfectly fine with taking on the responsibility of the cropping, I just am having trouble deciding. I'd prefer actually to do the cropping myself so I get to make that decision myself. But thanks for the link! There are plenty of examples! :)
most reputable breeders will not sell you a male if you already have a male in your home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
most reputable breeders will not sell you a male if you already have a male in your home.
I know this. But like I said in the last reply, my sister is getting a female and I am getting a male. She is getting a female for this reason in case they do have problems. The dogs will be familiar with both me and my sister and if there is a problem we will just switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If problems arise you'll just swap dogs... Good luck with that, lol. I cannot imagine "swapping" either of my dogs as if it was nothing.

Anyways, I guess I"m no help here. My breeder took care of my pup's gorgeous crop. Good luck to your dogs.
Way to be entirely too cynical. My sister and I are VERY involved in each other's lives and live RIGHT beside each other. We interact with each other's dogs on a daily basis. It's not like that, whatsoever.

The original topic of this thread was asking for vets to recommend and pictures of crops. If you have nothing helpful to say in that matter, please go elsewhere. I refuse to defend myself on this matter furthermore.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
i haven't encountered a good breeder that didn't take care of the ears. it's part of why we go through good breeders - they take care of everything for you, short of posting the ears.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
If the breeder isn't handling the ear crop, I wonder what else they aren't doing. Titling and health testing the parents, maybe?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Your boy is quite handsome, and I'm sure you're quite attached to him. You never said how old he was, but I'm kind of curious how you would feel if you had to give him to your sister for the rest of his life. Although I know this won't be the case, it could so happen that they are fine until the puppy is two years old, and then you'd "swap". Meanwhile you've grown attached to him, and him to you and your family.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a female right off the hop and avoid this problems, and allow yourself to become attached to her and give both dogs a stable place to live?

Out of curiosity, what drew you to your breeder? There are red flags coming up so I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your boy is quite handsome, and I'm sure you're quite attached to him. You never said how old he was, but I'm kind of curious how you would feel if you had to give him to your sister for the rest of his life. Although I know this won't be the case, it could so happen that they are fine until the puppy is two years old, and then you'd "swap". Meanwhile you've grown attached to him, and him to you and your family.

Wouldn't it be easier to get a female right off the hop and avoid this problems, and allow yourself to become attached to her and give both dogs a stable place to live?

Out of curiosity, what drew you to your breeder? There are red flags coming up so I'm just wondering.
Thank you for being genuinely nice unlike the others. Brodie is 2 1/2. I've had up to three male dogs together in the past, and with enough training, the aggression has not been an issue. I know this may not be the case if I have two male dobies together, but I am willing to try it. Brodie also has had no issues being with adult males. A friend has an adult male and they kept him for almost a month while we were moving with no issue.

My breeder is also a friend of mine. That is why she is giving me the option on the ears. She offered to do it herself, but I opted out because I personally want more involvement in the situation and her vet specializes in shorter crops.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
i haven't encountered a good breeder that didn't take care of the ears. it's part of why we go through good breeders - they take care of everything for you, short of posting the ears.
Actually, Dreizehn's breeder posted the ears as well if you wanted to bring the puppy to her. It was very helpful :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thank you for being genuinely nice unlike the others. Brodie is 2 1/2. I've had up to three male dogs together in the past, and with enough training, the aggression has not been an issue. I know this may not be the case if I have two male dobies together, but I am willing to try it. Brodie also has had no issues being with adult males. A friend has an adult male and they kept him for almost a month while we were moving with no issue.

My breeder is also a friend of mine. That is why she is giving me the option on the ears. She offered to do it herself, but I opted out because I personally want more involvement in the situation and her vet specializes in shorter crops.
To the bolded part, I'm not sure you've done enough research on same-sex aggression. It is actually ingrained in them, and socialization and training cannot "fix" them. Another thing to remember is that not all males are same-sex aggressive. So while Brody may have been okay, this new dog may not.

On this page are some links with information: http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/10315-male-male-aggression.html.

I just want to show you this thread in particular to give you an example: http://www.dobermantalk.com/new-member-introduction/10000-so-far-so-good.html.

By using the search function on top and looking up "two males" or "male-male aggression" you can see a whole bunch of threads on the topic.

Additionally, have you searched the health issues that affect the breed? One of the reasons that forum members encourage one another to look into better breeders who title and test their dogs is because of the heartbreak that they have gone through seeing their dogs die too soon from health problems. Although testing a dog doesn't GUARANTEE that it won't die prematurely, it does give the dog better odds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To the bolded part, I'm not sure you've done enough research on same-sex aggression. It is actually ingrained in them, and socialization and training cannot "fix" them. Another thing to remember is that not all males are same-sex aggressive. So while Brody may have been okay, this new dog may not.

On this page are some links with information: http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/10315-male-male-aggression.html.

I just want to show you this thread in particular to give you an example: http://www.dobermantalk.com/new-member-introduction/10000-so-far-so-good.html.

By using the search function on top and looking up "two males" or "male-male aggression" you can see a whole bunch of threads on the topic.

Additionally, have you searched the health issues that affect the breed? One of the reasons that forum members encourage one another to look into better breeders who title and test their dogs is because of the heartbreak that they have gone through seeing their dogs die too soon from health problems. Although testing a dog doesn't GUARANTEE that it won't die prematurely, it does give the dog better odds.
I personally would not mind a female myself. My husband is very set on a male though. I know there is great great great risk involved. When I said to "swap" with my sister, that is a last resort option to keep the dogs in the family and I know it would not be easy. I also have a large enough yard and enough time that if I needed to keep my males in separate fences I can. I do appreciate the links though, and I will show them to my husband. The new pup is going to be his, so it will ultimately be his decision. But again, please don't think I am letting all you say go into one ear and out the other, because I am taking it in. I respect the fact that you aren't rude like others. The worst way to make me change my mind is to be rude to me!

·
Gideon's Mom
115 Posts
I have a male dobie and a male cattle dog. Not the same breed but I'm not sure that matters. I have no aggression issues. They play well together, eat out of the same bowl at the same time without so much as a bared tooth. They sleep together and even nuzzle each other once in a blue moon. I have had males all my life. Male dobies. Never had any aggression issues. But I do watch them closely, anyway, just in case.

Also, I have noticed some people on here get aggressive when trying to get their point across. I'm sorry about that. They mean well, I'm sure, but can get pointed. Trust me. Sometimes you aren't allowed to express fully your point (i.e. your choice of breeder and why you are involved with the crop) before being judged. Again, I'm sure they mean well, but sometimes go about saying things in an inflammatory way. Don't let it bother you.

Personally, I like the medium crop best. Poor Gideon came to me with a poorly done military (short) crop, and it is all messed up. Poor boy barely has an ear on one side. Can't be fixed. Err on the side of long if anything. You can always crop, you can't grow an ear back.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I personally would not mind a female myself. My husband is very set on a male though. I know there is great great great risk involved. When I said to "swap" with my sister, that is a last resort option to keep the dogs in the family and I know it would not be easy. I also have a large enough yard and enough time that if I needed to keep my males in separate fences I can. I do appreciate the links though, and I will show them to my husband. The new pup is going to be his, so it will ultimately be his decision. But again, please don't think I am letting all you say go into one ear and out the other, because I am taking it in. I respect the fact that you aren't rude like others. The worst way to make me change my mind is to be rude to me!
As someone who has successfully kept intact males together at one point, I can honestly say that separate fences will not deter two males who are dead set on killing each other.

I'm truly saying this without the intention of being rude....you and your husband are not experienced enough to be able to tackle something of this magnitude.

There's no secret to keeping two males...it's just pure luck and sometimes the experience enough to evaluate each dogs personality and body language. Though sometimes even that experience isn't enough when you're evaluating a dog as a puppy who will display different personality traits once maturity hits. Nevermind the fact that by the time you interpet that change in body language you've got two males already attacking each other. It is not at all unusual to see people with 30+ years in the breed to either refuse to have 2 males at the same time or to keep them 100% separate by use of crating, individual yard time, etc.

Please urge your husband to do appropriate research. This is a terrible idea. And if he's just being a macho man who wants a male...he needs to meet some bitches. My bitch will out work my male any day, any time.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Just to chime in, and I'm not sure how much experience you have with dogs, but I don't think "swapping" a puppy that you have raised for a couple years is really going to be as easy as you think. Emotionally, that will likely be pretty heartbreaking. I have a sister who lives nearby as well, we play date our dogs all the time. I cant really imagine "trading" my Leo in for her Maui, though.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I have a male dobie and a male cattle dog. Not the same breed but I'm not sure that matters. I have no aggression issues. They play well together, eat out of the same bowl at the same time without so much as a bared tooth. They sleep together and even nuzzle each other once in a blue moon. I have had males all my life. Male dobies. Never had any aggression issues. But I do watch them closely, anyway, just in case.
it's good you watch them closely, but Gideon isn't quite 2 yet, correct? i'm told that's when the aggression issues start.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts