Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could people please post some pics of your dobes, and tell me what ear style you guys chose?? We just brought our little pup home, she is 8 weeks old, and we are looking to have her ears cropped at 12 weeks. This is our first dobe, and will be our first ear cropping experience. I think we like the shorter cuts due to the higher probability of getting them to stand, but I would like to see some different kinds.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
long show crop:

from the front

from the side

He was cropped by the breeder before I got him. Whatever syle you choose, make sure the vet is an expert in cropping Dobermans.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was cropped by the breeder before I got him. Whatever syle you choose, make sure the vet is an expert in cropping Dobermans.
We found a vet that does it with laser, and they were recommended by other vets around the area so we feel pretty good about them. even though, I'm still nervous about them being messed up, or not standing.

Would you recommend a shorter cut for a first timer??

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have used the same vet for cropping my dobe's ears for almost 30 years. He specializes in a medium crop, and leaves a little more 'bell' to the ear than most show crops have, but the ears stand almost immediately after the stitches come out (10 days after cropping) and rarely need to be posted for more than a couple of weeks if they dont continue to stand. I dont intend to formally show Ziva, so this style and length has always worked great for me and my dobes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My nephew's dog, Snoop, with his daughter. Snoop has a short "working crop", which my nephew likes, but I'm not a big fan of.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
wondering why you are waiting till 12 weeks of age? sooner is better in this case

·
Registered
491 Posts
wondering why you are waiting till 12 weeks of age? sooner is better in this case
I was wondering the same thing. My vet does cropping when a pup is minimum 8 weeks old, and 12 weeks maximum....although he prefers between 8 wks - 10 wks of age.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the medium crops like 2dobies' Dobe are the best for people who don't intend to show and they still look good. I'm not too fond of the working/military style short crop.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
We found a vet that does it with laser, and they were recommended by other vets around the area so we feel pretty good about them. even though, I'm still nervous about them being messed up, or not standing.

Would you recommend a shorter cut for a first timer??
I'd be careful about getting a really short crop-most of the time that diminishes the dog's appearance rather than enhancing it. Probably a medium crop is a better choice if you don't want a long show crop.

I'd definitely want to see pictures of any crops this vet has done in the past. VERY few vets do a good job of cropping ears, this is something that requires talent and the eye of an artist. Referrals from other vets wouldn't mean a lot to me, nor would the fact this vet uses a laser.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few vets we talked to said 9-14 weeks, the on particular one we chose said 12-16 weeks. We chose the vet we did because we like the idea of the laser over the knife due to the heal time, regrowth of hair, and other factors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Referrals from other vets wouldn't mean a lot to me, nor would the fact this vet uses a laser.

You're telling me I shouldn't listen to other vets who tell me the guy does a good job, and recommends his work????? I don't understand your logic. Should I go with one of the other guys who were not recommended?

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I would say that if you've found an experienced and skilled Doberman cropping vet to let them decide what crop best suits the pup's head. One crop will not look attractive on every Doberman because the shape of the face and head varies between individuals.

And I'd have to disagree that the dog pictured with the little girl has a "working crop." That's just a bad crop, IMHO. I've seen plenty of working titled dogs with beautiful crops. There's no need to sacrifice the beauty of a Doberman in the name of "working".

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Your telling me I shouldn't listen to other vets who tell me the guy does a good job, and recommends his work????? I don't understand your logic. Should I go with one of the other guys who were not recommended?
Well..I'm saying that few vets even recognize a good crop, let alone be able to do a good job of ear cropping themselves. I'd listen to an experienced person from a cropped breed long before I'd listen to a recommendation from a vet. It's just a fact-there are far more vets who crop than there are vets who crop WELL. I'm not saying this vet won't do an adequate job as far as safety-but there are thousands of dobermans walking around with really AWFUL ear crops because they were cropped by someone who doesn't have a clue what a GOOD ear crop looks like.

If I were you, I'd try to find doberman show breeders or breeders of some other cropped breed in your area and ask them who they use for ear cropping. Even if you get a shorter crop than a show crop from their recommended vet, the shape of the ear itself will be attractive.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think what MurreyDobes was trying to say is that it is better for you to see the actual handiwork of the vet you're going to rather than rely on other vets referrals. Some vets just do not offer the procedure and will recommend you to a vet they know that does regardless of whether or not that vet does a good job of cropping Doberman ears. Or, it could be the style which that vet is good at may not suit your taste.

I found my vet through another Doberman owner and was happy with the look of their Dobe's ears before I actually went to him to get mine done. I brought along some pictures of what I would like to get done and the length of the ears but he ultimately decided the shape and proportions that would look best on her.

·
Toorc the Dork
1,017 Posts
anything after 12 weeks is pretty much a NO GO. I agree that you should keep checking your vet options. Normally a reputable breeder has the cropping done before the puppies go home. I don't know why these vets are telling you 16 weeks.... the prime age is 8 to 12 and most vets actually cut off after 10 weeks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think what MurreyDobes was trying to say is that it is better for you to see the actual handiwork of the vet you're going to rather than rely on other vets referrals. Some vets just do not offer the procedure and will recommend you to a vet they know that does regardless of whether or not that vet does a good job of cropping Doberman ears. Or, it could be the style which that vet is good at may not suit your taste.

Every vet we spoke to, even the ones who were not recommended, has offered to show us pictures of their work. I figured that was a common practice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
And I'd have to disagree that the dog pictured with the little girl has a "working crop." That's just a bad crop, IMHO. I've seen plenty of working titled dogs with beautiful crops. There's no need to sacrifice the beauty of a Doberman in the name of "working".
I agree, the crop job my nephew got for Snoop was NOT a good one at all. He asked for a 'working crop' and this is what he got. It looks crappy, in my opinion. One more reason to check out the work of the vet that is going to do your dog's ears BEFORE making that surgery appointment.

·
Toorc the Dork
1,017 Posts
Every vet we spoke to, even the ones who were not recommended, has offered to show us pictures of their work. I figured that was a common practice.
not very many vets crop anymore... and if you live out in teh middle of nowhere it can be a pain to locate one who does. Like everyone has said, it is an art and an art you will have to look at for the rest of the time your baby is with you. If it is done too late, you run the risk of a floppy crop. But if the vet just crops a crop and isn't at all skilled in it, you could end up with a poor/ugly crop

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Nietzsche is not a conformation dog by any means, and he has a pretty nice medium crop. The bell of the ear is a bit wider than some people like, but I think it suits him.

Liberty has a long, beautiful show crop that I absolutely adore. She's still young, and this pic is a few weeks old, so her ears aren't both standing perfectly, but you can see the general shape of her ears.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts