Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had our 10 week old puppys ears done. When we picked him up he didnt have a cup or a cone. the vet said in 10 days when he gets his stiches out and the scabs heel he would post and tape them. I was just wondering if not having the ears up in a cup would effect how they stand in the future. I never had a dogs ears done so this all new to me. any advice would be great. This is the vet my breeder sugested.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Why didn't the breeder crop the puppies themselves so inexperienced owners wouldnt have to deal with the healing process?
Leave the ears down until they're healed, it's important that they're open to the air right now. Don't worry about this affecting them standing, it's still very early and this is how a lot of vets do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why didn't the breeder crop the puppies themselves so inexperienced owners wouldnt have to deal with the healing process?
Leave the ears down until they're healed, it's important that they're open to the air right now. Don't worry about this affecting them standing, it's still very early and this is how a lot of vets do it.
thanks abby for the info.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ben1, don't worry too much. The cup or conehead method isn't the only way, but seems to be the most popular with breeders right now. The most important thing is for the the edges to be exposed to the air to heal.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
[/B:)I had my baby's done at 12 weeks, the vet but a brace that went across the head and up the backside of her ears. She kept on 10 days then he stitches were taken out. They have never needed anything else, stand great. Was not easy finding someone who knew what they were doing in OH for a decent price. Vet did a fantastic job !!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It should be fine. When I picked up Gunner, he had just had his ears cropped and they were left down to hang and heal for 2 weeks. Once the stitches came out, then we started posting. He's 5 months old now and they are almost finished :) The biggest concern is for them to heal right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whats the cut off time to get ths ears cropped? Bayley is 9 mths old..didn't wang yup get them done cuz I wanted her to look more nicer and approachable I guess..but the more I lok at everyones pics I kinda want them done..but think its toooooo late plus shes extremly hyper! :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Sorry summer, WAY to late :) I've seen Baileys pics, I think her ears are perfect. Cut off is 12 weeks for most vets

·
Super Moderator
22,576 Posts
Whats the cut off time to get ths ears cropped? Bayley is 9 mths old..didn't wang yup get them done cuz I wanted her to look more nicer and approachable I guess..but the more I lok at everyones pics I kinda want them done..but think its toooooo late plus shes extremly hyper! :)
Way too late if she's nine months old. I think something like 12 weeks is the absolute latest, and most cropping vets do it sooner - 7-8 weeks old.

Reactions: Bayleythedobi
1 - 10 of 10 Posts