Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mojo Risin'
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am more than sure this topic has come up many times before, but please any advice is greatly appreciated by Morrison and myself. So I got my dobies ears cropped yesterday. I was at work so my wonderful mother took him to the vet and brought him home around 3pm. I get home and I noticed that his ears are not on a cup, he is just in an e-collar. I called the vet and asked why was it like this he said that's the way he has been doing it over 25 years. So my question to all you kind folks on DBTalk is, does It really matter if they are on a cup while healing? If so how would I go about putting it on his head and put his ears up,also to make sure they stay in place? I post pics this afternoon once I leave work.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Many vets will glue the ears together or to the top of the head after cropping, some attach them to a foam block, some use a plastic crown of sorts, and others use cups. Regardless of their methods, the important aspect of post-crop care is that the edges are left exposed to fresh air during the healing process and not posted or taped up immediately with raw or sutured edges.

Leaving them down until the edges are healed and the stitches are removed will not harm your puppy in any way. With that said, I see you're in South Texas; did you go to a vet in Katy, TX? There are only 1-2 vets in Texas that most would trust with cropping their dogs, and I think the one in Katy is the closest one to you.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Not everyone uses the same method. The first crop I went through there was no cup and the ears turned out beautiful. The second batch used cups and again, beautiful results. I am a fan of the cup. I like how it starts the ears and how it keeps them from flopping all over, but it is certainly not required.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Where in South TX are you?

One of mine had a cup and the other had them taped to the top of his head. Both eventually were left floppy for a few days and both stand well.

·
Mojo Risin'
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many vets will glue the ears together or to the top of the head after cropping, some attach them to a foam block, some use a plastic crown of sorts, and others use cups. Regardless of their methods, the important aspect of post-crop care is that the edges are left exposed to fresh air during the healing process and not posted or taped up immediately with raw or sutured edges.

Leaving them down until the edges are healed and the stitches are removed will not harm your puppy in any way. With that said, I see you're in South Texas; did you go to a vet in Katy, TX? There are only 1-2 vets in Texas that most would trust with cropping their dogs, and I think the one in Katy is the closest one to you.
It was a vet in Combes,Tx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts