Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but hopefully this was close enough ;)

I'll set the seen...At the dog park this weekend with my 4 month old female Dobe who has her ears cropped. A woman approached me and asked if the black Doberman was mine. Thinking she was going to say she was adorable, or beautiful, or so well behaved, (not to toot my dogs horn to much, but that is what most people say when we are out and about). I say "Yes she is," and this woman proceeds to tear me a new one on how if she could have me prosecuted for animal abuse she would and that I should be ashamed of my vanity and for torturing my poor defenseless puppy by having her ears mutilated.

I kind of sat there dumbfounded for a moment and then tried to politely explain why the breed have their ears cropped, however this woman was having none of it and I'm not one to argue with a brick wall so I ended up thanking her for her opinion and told to have a nice day then walked to the other side of the park. Thankfully she did not pursue me, because I really wanted to say some choice words back, but I figured getting kicked out of the dog park for human on human mauling was not really worth it. I've been going to this park for about 6 years now and went with my last Doberman, but her ears were natural, still I've found everyone I've met to be very friendly. This is the first time I've ever had an issue, dog or human related.

My question to everyone is have you ever experienced this and if so what have you responded with? I feel that there are good arguments on both sides of the debate, but I just can't believe that someone would accuse me of animal abuse and torture because my dogs ears are cropped.

Thanks!
~Kelly and Ki

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
A couple of things I say

1. The breeder did it before I got her (sorry breeder :) )
2. Thanks for the information and just walk away

I don't comment back. It won't change their opinion and why get into it? I don't understand why they feel it's acceptable to be rude either!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It has happened to me before and I try to just be polite and tell it is breed standard, just like ~6 other breeds, and go into the history of the doberman, with it being a working breed. Most people respond with 'oh I didn't know that...", but one person in particular just kept going on and I just stated that it was their opinion. Left it at that. I think you responded perfectly given the description.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I always went/go with "the breeder did it before I got him". There's no arguing or explaining to JQP, and isn't worth your time.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I wish you had posted a picture of you little girl, I love coneheads. Another thread about this someone had been approached and they told this person she had bit them off because she didn't mind her own business. Sorry not word for word. I laughed so hard, I spit my coffee all over my keyboard.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Never happened to me, if they ask and I say they are cropped they just say 'oh...' and walk away. I kno they were not happy about cropping but at least they kept their opinions to themselves.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm not sure about full out prosecution but MANY of us have been given flack about our cropped dogs ears.

I, personally, express that it is part of the breed standard, it's how the breed was intended to look, and that (if needed) his breeder did it before I got him. If none of that works I thank the person for their opinion and walk away. It's just not worth the argument.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I had this happen to me but the lady wasn't as rude, I told her that I didn't do it. That he is a show dog and their ears have to be cropped in order to show. And that I got him from an ethical breeder and she did it. Her response was like yours but she didn't direct it at me, she directed it towards the show ring for making it so that dogs still had to get their ears cropped.

She didn't go into it more but if she did I had info to back myself up if need be, I wouldn't have argued back as it is a losing battle because you are not going to change their mind.

I just have tons of info logged into my brain if they are genuinely Interested with an open mind, if they have a closed mind I will just ignore them.

Reactions: rockorabbit

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
A few co-workers, in a nice way objected to ear cropping pups (when I got my puppy) / they said they did not support it, while I said I did.

I cited the following examples, to the ladies:
- many mothers have no problem allowing their new born son's circumcision at birth
- not much different than cropping a dobe puppy / tails docked at 1 week and ears done at 7 weeks
One procedure uses a medical Doctor, while the other uses a Vet.

We all make permanent decisions (in life), that effect loved one and pets included...they had a good laugh, and never brought up the subject again...lol

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
I remember getting a lot more negative comments about my boy's ears when he was quite young and still in posts. I'm guessing the sight of a pup with taped ears triggers the misinformed (or completely ignorant) to comment on such a "cruel and inhumane" practice (sarcasm intended). Once they're out of posts, I think people are less inclined to make comments about how you "mutilated" your puppy's ears. I'm not sure how anyone can look at a mature Doberman with a beautiful ear crop standing erect and argue its ears have been mutilated. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
19 Posts
personnaly I think they look so much better with them cropped and tails done
and yes it might be a little vain and there is no reason it should be done in this day and age unless it's a working dog it's such a pity I live in a country where both tail docking and ear cropping are illegal and could see you in court everyone's entitled to there own opinion I think you did the most noble thing to walk away...
I think I would have told her where to stick it:p

on another note does anybodies pet sleep with there tongue out, it's just weird!

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
People always have something to say.
Lexie was in obedience school, and I had also started bringing Rocco when he was 10 weeks. One of the workers said something derogatory about having Rocco's ears cropped. I went over to the owner, told her what her worker said, demanded a refund for the rest of the class and left. I think that made a statement. The owner was very sorry, but I told her that I only wanted to deal with PROFESSIONALS who can appreciate an owner that has a show dog that is within the standard of the breed.

I have also told someone,
There are so many needless procedures we do these days, maybe you could be a spokesperson for uncircumcised penises. < I know, bad > :D

·
Dobes stole my heart &lt;3
3,418 Posts
I have had comments from both sides of the fence. I have a very good friend that lives in AZ, who is a huge doberman advocate, rescuer, and lover. She has had as many as 7 dogs in her home at a time, both cropped and natural, and has even had her own dogs cropped before, but has since fallen over to the preference of the natural ears. I respect her new found preference, and she respects my decisions, and has avidly stood up for the right to crop dogs as the standard allows.
If someone decides to argue with me on my preference, I simply tell them that when the dog can tell me what it wants I will respect that choice, but until then I feel I am amply qualified to make the right choice for my own animal and unless someone has the authority to stop me, they can sit down and shut up. Having a dogs ears cropped is no worse than some woman having her breasts or face altered, and probably hurts ALOT less.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
PETA - HSUS nut and I would simply say I can see why you AR folks are on the suspected terrorist list. At least I was taught better manners and to respect the rights of others rather than to assualt a Free American for their personal choices. Then I would squeeze and rub those ears to show no pain - and tell her to Go have a TOFU fruitie.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
So I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but hopefully this was close enough ;)

I'll set the seen...At the dog park this weekend with my 4 month old female Dobe who has her ears cropped. A woman approached me and asked if the black Doberman was mine. Thinking she was going to say she was adorable, or beautiful, or so well behaved, (not to toot my dogs horn to much, but that is what most people say when we are out and about). I say "Yes she is," and this woman proceeds to tear me a new one on how if she could have me prosecuted for animal abuse she would and that I should be ashamed of my vanity and for torturing my poor defenseless puppy by having her ears mutilated.

I kind of sat there dumbfounded for a moment and then tried to politely explain why the breed have their ears cropped, however this woman was having none of it and I'm not one to argue with a brick wall so I ended up thanking her for her opinion and told to have a nice day then walked to the other side of the park. Thankfully she did not pursue me, because I really wanted to say some choice words back, but I figured getting kicked out of the dog park for human on human mauling was not really worth it. I've been going to this park for about 6 years now and went with my last Doberman, but her ears were natural, still I've found everyone I've met to be very friendly. This is the first time I've ever had an issue, dog or human related.

My question to everyone is have you ever experienced this and if so what have you responded with? I feel that there are good arguments on both sides of the debate, but I just can't believe that someone would accuse me of animal abuse and torture because my dogs ears are cropped.

Thanks!
~Kelly and Ki
You would get much the same haranguing if you were in the UK and where we live in Spain cropping and docking is banned too.

Now I respect some folk have their dogs cropped and docked and I wouldnt be so rude as to say anything much about it, unless it is obvious it was a home done job, but I personally do not agree with it and to be honest I do not know of any medical reason why it is done, however, I am open to being educated. I guess it is just down to how strongly you feel about a subject whether or not one is motivated to argue for or against. Obviously this woman feels strongly against. And as you guys will agree, 'freedom of speech' is a fundamental right in your country, she was obviously exercising it. But well done for not blowing your stack and giving her a mouthful back.

Perhaps one day cropping and docking will be banned in the US as it is in the UK and some other EU countries, I just wonder how those people vehemently for it will react. Probably just as vociferously.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't even have my pup yet I still hear about it every time I mention that I will be getting one soon. My flyball team mate is from the UK and very against it (sigh). Going to be an uphill battle with that one I fear. I respect her opinion and feelings on it but the pup is still going to be cropped because that is the way I want them and the breeder wouldn't let him go without anyway. I just try not to mention it in her presence anymore and will cross that bridge with her when I actually have him. At least she is not as rude as some I have heard of! I would have lost it otherwise!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts