Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,472 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say that a medium crop is shorter than a medium long crop, and it might be a different shape too.

But I imagine it is up to how the person talking about it is defining the words. A picture is worth a thousand words--if there is a particular style crop you want, show your vet pictures. Ask him for pictures of crops he's done and what he calls the various lengths and styles he may have done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had to guess, I would say that a medium crop is shorter than a medium long crop, and it might be a different shape too.

But I imagine it is up to how the person talking about it is defining the words. A picture is worth a thousand words--if there is a particular style crop you want, show your vet pictures. Ask him for pictures of crops he's done and what he calls the various lengths and styles he may have done.
Well I actually have the crop done. Before the crop i showed pictures to my breeder of the crop i wanted and he said that’s definitely a medium long crop so that’s what he told the doc to do. Didn’t even know there was such thing as a medium long thought it was only small ,medium and long show crop
So that’s why i wanted to know if he has a long crop or a medium crop.

·
Big Lil pup
6,990 Posts
The terms, as you are using them, are totally subjective and have meaning only if there is a common ground of understanding between the people discussing crops. What is a long crop to some, might be a medium crop to others. Some of the terms that are thrown out there are: short crop, working crop, pet crop, medium crop, show crop, medium show crop, long show crop etc. Obviously if someone refers to a "short crop" they are not talking about a "long show crop". But in between, the terms become blurred and more a matter of semantics rather than specific lengths. Then there is also the matter of shape. Basically what I think is a long show crop could reasonably be called a medium-long crop by someone used to and desirous of extremely long narrow ears.

Why don't you post a photo of your pups ears? Are they standing? and I'm sure folks will pop on and critique them for you, if that is what you want.

Also... The shape and length of cropped ears of Dobermans has changed quite a bit in recent times. My first Doberman had a typical show crop for the era. Today, 47 years later, most folks would probably call it a wide medium crop.

Love to see some pics of your pup!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The terms, as you are using them, are totally subjective and have meaning only if there is a common ground of understanding between the people discussing crops. What is a long crop to some, might be a medium crop to others. Some of the terms that are thrown out there are: short crop, working crop, pet crop, medium crop, show crop, medium show crop, long show crop etc. Obviously if someone refers to a "short crop" they are not talking about a "long show crop". But in between, the terms become blurred and more a matter of semantics rather than specific lengths. Then there is also the matter of shape. Basically what I think is a long show crop could reasonably be called a medium-long crop by someone used to and desirous of extremely long narrow ears.

Why don't you post a photo of your pups ears? Are they standing? and I'm sure folks will pop on and critique them for you, if that is what you want.

Also... The shape and length of cropped ears of Dobermans has changed quite a bit in recent times. My first Doberman had a typical show crop for the era. Today, 47 years later, most folks would probably call it a wide medium crop.

Love to see some pics of your pup!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
His ears are posted atm so you cant really see his ears but il post one and also one when he had his stitches and when i take off the tape il post one again. The blue foam is as high as his ears if your wondering where his ears stop.
Brown Dog Comfort Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Comfort Dog breed Working animal Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Pet supply Collar Working animal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts