Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am thinking bout purchasing a doberman in the next year! My main issue is the ear cropping choice. My boyfriend wants natural ears and I want cropped. Can anyone recommend a good ear cropping artist in the Metro Detroit (Macomb specifically) area, along with prices? I would also like to hear personal stories about ear cropping experiences, especially about the length of the process itself! Thanks! :)

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hi! Welcome from Virginia!

Actually, your breeder should be taking care of ear cropping for you. :)

Hopefully others will chime in with breeder recommendations! :)

Good luck on your search!
:wavey:

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
A good breeder will take care of the cropping for you.

·
Registered
939 Posts
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/30612-recommended-vets-who-crop-ears.html

Heres a DT thread on the topic.

My husband wanted natural ears as well, but we cropped. He's fine with it now, and can't wait to see what they look like finished. I'm in Colorado, but the surgery (crop) itself was $395, plus pre-anesthesia blood work that was about $50. Then we have to go back weekly to have the ears posted at $22/week. Out of curiosity, I called another vet who does ear cropping in my area, and he wanted $565 for surgery, labs, and posting.

Reactions: Ariege57

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you haven't yet purchased and had your puppy's ears cropped; I'm downriver but can recommend a vet. Dr. Welti in Romulus has cropped two of my puppies and we've been very satisfied with the outcome. With our first Dobe (who is now passed away) it was only about $280 total. With our current puppy it jumped to 550ish, but that is because he now uses laser for the surgery where he did not with our first Dobe. Good luck, hope it all works out.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
There are several good breeders in Michigan that will crop the pups ears before it goes home. Go with a breeder that does this. In Michigan; Gorrmae, Lyndobe, Mi-Ti, Mi-Cher

IMO the best and only cropper I would have do a pup of mine is Ken Main, DVM in Allegan, MI. Cost is about $300.00 +/-. Ear cropping is an art and while many do it, there are few that do a good job.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd find a good breeder who gets the ears cropped before you bring your puppy home. The aftercare is a lot of work. I'm sure people will chime in with a lot of good breeders around you :) good luck!

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I went to Patterson Vetrinary in Clinton Twp. He did an excellent job on both my dogs, one of them is actually in his photo book, both would be but I did not send photos of Bella in. We paid a little over $300, but the pre-surgical consult and testing was thorough, and the crop was amazing! Also, the aftercare is included in the price of the crop so no paying extra each time you need reposting. I have many photos of my dogs posted on this site, and you are welcome to go take a look at them. I do have to note the left ear on my red girl is purely her! It has nothing to do with her crop at all, she has a beautiful crop but has one ear weaker than the other. Dr. Patterson did a wonderful job on both girls. And the staff is friendly and helpful and take good care o the puppies. I was pleasantly surprised to find that someone that got a puppy from the same breeder as Bella also went to Dr. Patterson and her dog also has a gorgeous crop.
His info is Patterson Veterinary Hospital
35115 Harper; Clinton Twp MI 48035
586-791-6260 Patterson Veterinary Hospital - Home

Reactions: Ariege57
1 - 9 of 9 Posts