Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend a good vet for cropping ear in Houston. The price range seems to vary from 200 to 500. How is eartrim.com they seem to be the cheapest.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Can someone recommend a good vet for cropping ear in Houston. The price range seems to vary from 200 to 500. How is eartrim.com they seem to be the cheapest.
Do you have your puppy yet? If not, the ear crop really should be the responsibility of the breeder as this is a cropped and docked breed.

Do not pick an ear crop vet based on price! With the cheap vets you're likely to end up with a poor crop job that makes your dog's head unattractive as an adult. The best vets to use are generally the ones that do ears for the show breeders. In Houston the vet that's always talked about here on DT is Dr. Ginanna Crouch

Grand Park Animal Clinic - Katy, Texas Texas - Ear Trims

Be prepared to spend $400+ on a good ear crop. It's a small price to pay for such an important part of your dog, IMO. Remember that you'll be looking at these for the next 10+ years hopefully, and you don't want to regret your decision especially if it only saved you a few bucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I hear, eartrim.com does only ear crops and do an exceptional job. I am leaning towards them when I get my next puppy, but I'm sure more folks will chime in so you can get all the pros and cons!:wink2:

·
Got mutt?
13,657 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,312 Posts
From what I hear, eartrim.com does only ear crops and do an exceptional job. I am leaning towards them when I get my next puppy, but I'm sure more folks will chime in so you can get all the pros and cons!:wink2:
First, we've seen some horror stories from them, so I would strongly recommend not going there.

Second, you should not be buying a puppy from a breeder that doesn't crop the ears for you - that's a HUGE red flag. Reputable, ethical breeders send puppies home with their ears already cropped. Don't buy a puppy from someone who doesn't. Please stick around this forum and let us help you find a better breeder.

OP, you already have this pup, I'm assuming? If so, please look at the recommendations for Dr. Crouch or Dr. Schaeffer. They are known in the Doberman world for being trustworthy about ears. This thread is a VERY good read: http://www.dobermantalk.com/ear-cropping-posting/302945-ear-cropping-aftercare-do-s-don-ts.html

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I have posts in both of the threads that Rosemary shows in her post above.

If you read through those two threads you'll see hat even if Eartrim only specializes in ear cropping I don't think anyone actually recommends them. I think that their specialty ends up looking more like pit bull specialty crops. They don't do very good Dobe crops and they do a whole lot of things that I don't think should ever be done to a newly cropped ear.

And I've got lots of experience and have had Dobes since 1959 and have pretty much all been intended to be conformation/show dogs and were cropped by a variety of VERY good croppers.

If I actually bought a puppy from a breeder who didn't crop the puppy before it went to its new home I would certainly not take a puppy to Eartrim for cropping even if they were next door to me and charged 15 cents for cropping.

You have two really good Dobe croppers in Texas and my recommendation is that you go to one of them.

·
Super Moderator
21,312 Posts
Dr. Crouch (the link that greenkouki provided) did my Sypha's ears, I believe. She's from Sirai Dobermans down in Texas.

For reference:

2017-10-14_02-50-30 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Be wary of cheap ear crops (and cheap dogs at that), because you will get what you pay for! Please find a breeder that already takes care of this for you! It can be a nightmare to do all alone, and it just not worth it in my opinion!

·
Super Moderator
21,312 Posts
Actually, I think maybe Sypha's litter was done by Dr. Schaeffer, now that I'm thinking about it? Either way...either of them would be a good choice! Having a brain moment...I'd have to check with Charlene!

·
Super Moderator
21,312 Posts
Reactions: LadyDi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts