Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm a new mommy to a beautiful little black and rust girl named Dash. My husband and I are looking to have her ears cropped, but we are having a hard time finding a vet in the Austin (or surrounding areas, preferably no further than an hour away) that will do it.

We realize it is cosmetic only, but when we think of a Doberman, the ears are cropped and standing and they are lean, beautiful dogs. While our little girl's floppy ears are absolutely adorable, we'd like them cropped.

We have found one vet, Dr. Tom Sutton of Hometown Animal Care, that will do ear croppings. While his staff knows quite a bit about the procedure and answered all of my questions without hesitation, I was told that they have minimal pictures of his work. That makes me a little nervous as I would like to see pictures of his crop jobs. His Vet Aid stated that he has done and retained several pictures of show Dobeys, but I'd still like to find others he's done and get in contact with them.

This is my baby we're talking about, I want her to look as phennominal as she can if we are going to do this. I won't take her to someone I don't feel comfortable with and just giving a vet a picture of what I expect doesn't make me entirely comfortable.

Any suggestions? Any known vets to other Doberman owners here in the area who have a good vet? Any one used Dr. Sutton that could provide me with feedback or pictures about his work?

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Dr. Debbie Schaefer, Animal Hospital of Frisco. She is one of the best in the US. Yes, it is a drive, but she is well worth it. This is no time to skimp on quality or convenience. Of course, if you had purchased your puppy from a quality breeder the ears would have already been cropped when you received her.

·
It's a Dog's Life!
66 Posts
Dr. Debbie Schaefer, Animal Hospital of Frisco. She is one of the best in the US. Yes, it is a drive, but she is well worth it. This is no time to skimp on quality or convenience. Of course, if you had purchased your puppy from a quality breeder the ears would have already been cropped when you received her. - by Kansadobe

I SECOND THAT! They don't call them "Shaefer Ears" for nothing. AND YES, it should have already been done before the Breeder sent the puppy home with you.

Keep us "posted"...no punt intended...

Hope everything works out and she gets a beautiful cropping, your puppy is going to have to live with them and you will be looking at them for her lifetime!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If you want to stay in Austin you should send an email to Irina Sasu of Rhapsody Doves (a Google search will get you her website, I'm limited since I'm on my phone). I know that she has two vets in the area that she recommends, one is in South Austin and the other is in Pflugerville. We were talking about it just yesterday but I can't remember either name.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I agree that if you can make it up to Dallas, Dr. Schaefer does beautiful ears.

If you don't hear back from Irina right away, try Leanne Jakubowsky:

Leanne Jakubowsky, DVM
10106 North Hillside
Austin, TX 78736
Phone: (512)288-2809

I don't know if she crops herself (she might) but I do know she's a doberman person and a vet, and could probably tell you who does decent crops in Austin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts